News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Seat Belt Retainers

Started by Voss, October 27, 2013, 05:22:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stripedelete

I've parted out several 68-69 Chargers and have never seen one.  I don't have them on the two remaining complete cars (69), one of which was complete down to the redline spare.

Were they plastic? Did they break off?  Was it common to remove them? i.e. catcing on clothing?   

Lord Warlock

They are part plastic part metal, the part that bolts on is metal, the tab that goes into the seat belt end is plastic, and if mishandled can break off.  I doubt many actually stored the belts clipped to them up front because it was just easier to unfasten and let go of it,  plus the fact that you'd have to readjust the length of the belt to fit snugly, I believe the retractor part is only on the tongue side, not sure anymore since i haven't had belts in mine for a long time.  

In the back seat it was just easier to tuck the belts between the cushions, so i can understand few using the clips. BUT at a show, it makes the belts look neatly stored.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

dodgedarren

Quote from: Lord Warlock on November 15, 2013, 12:13:55 PM
I think he meant he can't find the hole in the seat where it attaches.  If you've recovered the seats it may be hard to find.

Lord Warlock, thank you for the reply. Yes I did recover the seats. I have felt around underneath and cannot feel the mounting holes. I do not want to removes the seats to locate them but I just may have to. If someone could take a measurement of the location of the holes it would be much appreciated.  Thankk you!

moparfan53

Quote from: dodgedarren on November 15, 2013, 05:54:44 PM
... I do not want to removes the seats to locate them but I just may have to. If someone could take a measurement of the location of the holes it would be much appreciated.  Thankk you!

I couldn't measure the holes but maybe this passenger seat pic will help. I put "approx" because the curvature of the seat corner makes it difficult to measure.

:cheers:

moparfan53

Quote from: Lord Warlock on November 15, 2013, 04:00:36 PM
....In the back seat it was just easier to tuck the belts between the cushions, so i can understand few using the clips. BUT at a show, it makes the belts look neatly stored.

I agree using the clips make a neater appearance. I went even further and put elastic hair bands to prevent the excess belt section from hanging down/over. Yes, sometimes I have been told I am too picky! ;D

moparfan53

Quote from: stripedelete on November 15, 2013, 02:20:55 PM
I've parted out several 68-69 Chargers and have never seen one.  I don't have them on the two remaining complete cars (69), one of which was complete down to the redline spare.

Were they plastic? Did they break off?  Was it common to remove them? i.e. catcing on clothing?  

The rear were all plastic. The front were plastic riveted on to a metal bracket.

FWIW, the parts books shows them for 68-69 A and B bodies. For '70 they are shown only if you had the "deluxe restraint system" (option code C15). I have had 4 68-69 Chargers over the years. 2 had them, 1 did not but had marks/holes where they were, 1 had no sign of them at all. A friend's '69 Barracuda has them, another friends '69 Dart does not. I have not looked at the Dart close to see if there are any signs of them being there originally. So, regardless of what the parts books say, maybe all did not get them. :shruggy:

Lord Warlock

They wouldn't be coded on the build sheet anywhere would they?  not sure where to look if they are.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

moparfan53

Quote from: Ghoste on October 27, 2013, 09:23:27 AM
I think they are standard.  An option maybe on the 70 XH cars?

As I posted above, according to the parts books they were standard for '68-69, but maybe different in reality/actual production. In '70 they were part of the "deluxe restraint system" for all model Chargers.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: moparfan53 on November 16, 2013, 11:17:37 PM

I agree using the clips make a neater appearance. I went even further and put elastic hair bands to prevent the excess belt section from hanging down/over. Yes, sometimes I have been told I am too picky! ;D

OEM '69 belts have this feature built in via a plastic loop on the belts  :2thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

Which sadly seems often broken today.  A brittle plastic I guess.

dodgedarren

Quote from: moparfan53 on November 16, 2013, 11:13:27 PM
... I do not want to removes the seats to locate them but I just may have to. If someone could take a measurement of the location of the holes it would be much appreciated.  Thankk you!

I couldn't measure the holes but maybe this passenger seat pic will help. I put "approx" because the curvature of the seat corner makes it difficult to measure.

moparfan 53, thank you! I now have all my belt and clips mounted. The mounting holes for the front clips are slotted so all I needed to be was in the ball park. Peace

moparfan53

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on November 17, 2013, 11:14:44 AM
Quote from: moparfan53 on November 16, 2013, 11:17:37 PM

OEM '69 belts have this feature built in via a plastic loop on the belts  :2thumbs:

Thanks for the info. I did not know that. My car was missing the rear belts so I bought a repro set.

:thumbs:

moparfan53

Quote from: dodgedarren on November 18, 2013, 11:09:02 PM
Quote from: moparfan53 on November 16, 2013, 11:13:27 PM

moparfan 53, thank you! I now have all my belt and clips mounted. The mounting holes for the front clips are slotted so all I needed to be was in the ball park. Peace

Glad to be of help!

dodgedarren

Quote from: moparfan53 on November 17, 2013, 12:05:58 AM
Quote from: stripedelete on November 15, 2013, 02:20:55 PM
I've parted out several 68-69 Chargers and have never seen one.  I don't have them on the two remaining complete cars (69), one of which was complete down to the redline spare.

Were they plastic? Did they break off?  Was it common to remove them? i.e. catcing on clothing?  

The rear were all plastic. The front were plastic riveted on to a metal bracket.

FWIW, the parts books shows them for 68-69 A and B bodies. For '70 they are shown only if you had the "deluxe restraint system" (option code C15). I have had 4 68-69 Chargers over the years. 2 had them, 1 did not but had marks/holes where they were, 1 had no sign of them at all. A friend's '69 Barracuda has them, another friends '69 Dart does not. I have not looked at the Dart close to see if there are any signs of them being there originally. So, regardless of what the parts books say, maybe all did not get them. :shruggy:

Surprises me that door were not a opetion :rofl: