News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is it a good deal?

Started by euroZ06, October 31, 2013, 05:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

euroZ06

68, 383 auto. Interior looks mint, exterior is ok (i can live with it, no rust), only rust is in trunk floor. Tranny rebuilt, rear end is good, but engine needs rebuilding (runs and drives, but coming due for rebuild 140k orig miles). Car is number matching. $20k. Is that a good deal?
68 charger, 383, 727, 3.55

Homerr

Is it the SS1 Light Yellow one that is on moparts?

If it is, I think it's a good deal based on being a complete, unmolested car.  The motor needing rebuilt is a curve ball and explains the price.  The body has some dings but it is a near 'best case' starting point on a Charger.

Personally, I like the car a lot and would paint the engine bay (stock color) and detail it while the motor was being rebuilt.

cdr

Quote from: Homerr on October 31, 2013, 09:03:27 AM

If it is, I think it's a good deal based on being a complete, unmolested car.  The motor needing rebuilt is a curve ball and explains the price.  The body has some dings but it is a near 'best case' starting point on a Charger.

Personally, I like the car a lot and would paint the engine bay (stock color) and detail it while the motor was being rebuilt.

if it is this one it dont look to good to me

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

euroZ06

Quote from: cdr on October 31, 2013, 09:07:30 AM
Quote from: Homerr on October 31, 2013, 09:03:27 AM

if it is this one it dont look to good to me

Can u elaborate please? Im new to chargers/old cars.
And yes, thats the car.
I also found 70 in a bit better shape for same price, but its in canada (not sure on how to import it, can i just drive it over the border)

squeakfinder

The leading edge of that quarter panel is full of body filler.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

euroZ06

Ok, so that means lots of rust? The quarter panel needs replacing?

I know it needs new timing chain, how much does replacement usually cost?

JB400

$75 US dollars for a timing chain plus installation and gaskets.  $20 US for gaskets.

euroZ06

how much engine rebuild cost me? It has a few dings on the body, so needs some body work (including trunk floor). I'm not too familiar with prices for fixing an old car like that. I'm military stationed in Germany, and I'm trying to get it over here, but whatever repairs are needed will have to be done with the help of my brother in Jersey.

It seems to be matching numbers car. How much would the value be affected if I were to paint it a different color? I really can't do the white/yellowish. I want either black, flat black, purple, or something to that extent. Is that going to change the value by a margin? Maybe a vinyl wrap??

I'm not looking to buy and sell, but I am looking at it as an investment. Prices are sooo all over the place, I can't even put a value to what needs fixing vs what it will be worth.

Appreciate all the help.

ACUDANUT

You need to have someone here, inspect it closely for you.  You don't want to rebuild any Charger overseas, unless you have to. I also believe there is no way to document if it, or any 68 could be a numbers matching car.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: ACUDANUT on November 02, 2013, 05:36:36 PM
You need to have someone here, inspect it closely for you.  You don't want to rebuild any Charger overseas, unless you have to. I also believe there is no way to document if it, or any 68 could be a numbers matching car.

I think if the car was built pre 68 its gauge teed non matching no matter what since they didnt match till mid 68?