News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger disk brake proportioning valve photos

Started by The Mopar Kid, November 07, 2013, 02:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mopar Kid

Hi guys, I'm putting together my charger and converted the brake system completely. I need some photos of a factory power disc front drum rear setup, more importantly the right proportioning valve hookups. I'm not sure which or how many components I need to complete that system.
Any photos of a  good factory restoration in progress would be great!!

gtx6970

The Mopar Kid

Ghoste

It has a bracket and a capscrew which goes into the frame.  You can see the bolt immediately behind the valve.

The Mopar Kid

What about the rear valve? I don't see a bracket on mine but there is a hole in the frame..

resq302

There originally was a gold cad sleeve that slipped on over the t valve and was held in place to the frame with a sheet metal bolt.  You should have a hole just to the left side of that valve if I remember right from my car.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

The Mopar Kid

This is another photo I've grabbed. Which one is correct?
I have a Dana 60 rear end with drums, and Disk brakes up front.
The brake hose line kit that I recieved, seems like it would work with this attached picture.
Im having trouble understanding what the hell all these valves doing and why they would work in both these configurations?

resq302

The set up you have is also correct. I think it was something like a mid year change over as I am pretty sure the later ones had that set up.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

The Mopar Kid

By later you mean after 1-1-1969?
My car was built on the 13th of Jan.

resq302

Brian

oldcarnut

Quote from: The Mopar Kid on November 12, 2013, 01:27:47 PM
This is another photo I've grabbed. Which one is correct?
I have a Dana 60 rear end with drums, and Disk brakes up front.
The brake hose line kit that I recieved, seems like it would work with this attached picture.
Im having trouble understanding what the hell all these valves doing and why they would work in both these configurations?
Looks about the same as my 70 RR  front disc 8.750 rear drum

5hunert

Here's a close up of the anti-lockup valve mounted to the frame.  I doubt a wrench has ever been on the bolt since it left Hamtramik so it should be good for reference.  This is a November 1968 Charger 500 with front disk and rear 10 inchers on a Dana.   The other holes in the frame may help you locate it. 

When I did a disk brake conversion on my 70 ebody the hole was already in the frame - don't know if they did the same for B-Bodys.

The Mopar Kid

Lord Warlock

Thanks for the thread, asked a similar question yesterday, but found this instead while searching for something else.  Where'd you all get the new proportioning valve and smaller rear brake valve from? inline tube sells several including the main 5 port piece, but i noticed i'm missing the tube that goes between the 5 port and 2 port hold off valve, so gonna have to order more stuff.  

Mine looks just like 5hunerts, its a square bracket that the valve fits into, i'd have to pry mine off after i took it off (its off, but the bracket is still tight around the block, frankly i'm afraid to remove it as i'd probably lose the bracket before the new part comes in.

Just a question to the two who posted pics, how come the master cylinder you have has the hoses mounted on the engine side? my master cylinder has the tubes connecting from the fender side, mine is a replacement, but the original tank and MS were the same as I took it off in the 80s and got a matching replacement bendix unit.

I'm jealous of those of you doing this job without the steering column in place, it is in the way big time trying to fish the tubes down from the top without getting them hooked on the steering column and power steering hoses/tubes.  Looks like i'll have to do it from under the car and feed the tubes up as i go.  At least i know where each line hooks to the distribution block now. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

The Mopar Kid

Hey,

Im glad this thread is helping somebody besides me.
The brake proportioning valve I found at Classic Industries down the street from me. Its part numbers are...
MD2274
MD2267
RKT6803R
and MD2269

If you catch them on a good day you get 20% off or free shipping. Singing up for the email notices usually is a good idea.
I was notified by these guys that the proportioning and distribution valves are not being made anymore, so what is available is the last of it. That is why your seeing a spike in price for these valves.

I believe that the missing brake line your speaking of comes in part number RIN6801S. I ran into the same issue! I was about to bend my own line until I opened up my front to rear brake line kit and found this odd foot long brake line, then it all came together!

I have read that the master cylinders used in 1969 Bendix style came both ways. I havn't seen anybody bash on master cylinders for the 1969 year if they were on one way or the other. The brake lines in the kit are for master cylinders that face the engine, BUT you can easily bend them to fit. (like I did)

I have put mine all together and I recommend following the picture posted with the blue engine compartment. NOTICE that there is one port on the main distribution valve LEFT OPEN. You must block that off! (correct me if I'm wrong)

Lord Warlock

The blue one shows the later style with a 3rd block, mine only has two and all 5 ports are used with mine.  I ordered the missing tube, both the distribution block and hold off valve, as well as the rear hose and TEE for the rear axle last night from inline tube.  Will probably be a week or so before they arrive as it falls into black friday mail issues, so the car will sit as is until i decide what to do next.   Rear wheel is off so i'll probably take off the rear hose tomorrow, then decide if i want to drop the gas tank as well...needs to be done, but quarters are tight back there right now. 

I only had to slightly bend one of the connectors to the master cylinder to align it in a way to screw it in, and with the pics on the thread i now know where each tube to the master cylinder go, and the other lines on the distribution block.  I've put off working on the brakes on my car for almost 10 years, but at least now i'm making some progress on it.  Kind of wish i'd gotten discs for the rear, but decided to go stock instead, car won't be used like it was when i drove it daily 25 years ago, rather have it stock now. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

pb24

On a 1968 Charger when converting from front drums to disc brakes using A Body parts do i just need the proportioning MD 2274 or do i also need the other valves?

The Mopar Kid

I'm pretty sure you need the other valves I listed above. The brake line kit for the 68 69 chargers comes in such a way that you need 3 separate valve parts to use up all the pieces of line they give you in the brake line kit. One of the  ports in the part number md2274 listed is blocked off for some reason. You have to block it off yourself.

pb24

My car is not apart yet, I plan on using the old lines I'm trying to keep as much of the factory parts as i can shouldn't the old distribution blocks for the rear brakes work? I thought the only thing in needed to change was the proportion valve along with the master cylinder. 

The Mopar Kid

Well maybe you can I've never tried but if you look on your new master cylinder one chamber is larger than the other, which means more pressure builds up for that chamber, your proportioning valve will compensate but you may have some locking rear wheels every once and awhile if u brake hard. The other valves prevent that. I learned that the hard way. The extra two valves you need are pricey.

pb24

Roger. i need to do some more home work and figure out what i need. thanks for your help

The Mopar Kid

The photos above should be what you should aim for.

Phillips68charger

Quote from: The Mopar Kid on November 26, 2013, 12:01:29 PM
Hey,

Im glad this thread is helping somebody besides me.
The brake proportioning valve I found at Classic Industries down the street from me. Its part numbers are...
MD2274
MD2267
RKT6803R
and MD2269

If you catch them on a good day you get 20% off or free shipping. Singing up for the email notices usually is a good idea.
I was notified by these guys that the proportioning and distribution valves are not being made anymore, so what is available is the last of it. That is why your seeing a spike in price for these valves.

I believe that the missing brake line your speaking of comes in part number RIN6801S. I ran into the same issue! I was about to bend my own line until I opened up my front to rear brake line kit and found this odd foot long brake line, then it all came together!

I have read that the master cylinders used in 1969 Bendix style came both ways. I havn't seen anybody bash on master cylinders for the 1969 year if they were on one way or the other. The brake lines in the kit are for master cylinders that face the engine, BUT you can easily bend them to fit. (like I did)

I have put mine all together and I recommend following the picture posted with the blue engine compartment. NOTICE that there is one port on the main distribution valve LEFT OPEN. You must block that off! (correct me if I'm wrong)

Thanks guys, this post really helped me out with getting the part I needed!
Mopar or no car!