News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The new beginning; Elephant with wings.... Whatcha think?

Started by hemi68charger, November 15, 2013, 08:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang...
Well, since the picture was taken in an aero, I post it here.... Had a recent one on just the intake in the other section....... But, this will be the story thread.....

I have started the adventure called Operation 426-HEMI + Daytona..  :2thumbs:

I have recently purchased a complete Hemi 2x4 induction system sold through Mancini and chrome dome OEM air cleaner as well....... I think I have a scoop on a complete running/proven motor sans induction.....  ( which I have now ).....

I have always wanted one and now's the time........ I'm keeping the ole' girl and will help Julie and Jacob develop memories of their Dad's Daytona and not so much relive my Dad's ( since it is becoming apparent it will be hard for me to get that nice F6 or 4speed version like Dad's ).....

I was just messing around this evening while I was shutting down my activities in the garage and thought I'd "test fit" the air cleaner for imagination's sake..
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

A383Wing

djcarguy

just my  :Twocents:  i think your Daytona is too nice an running to take apart,even for a hemi  tranfer?? :Twocents: :Twocents:

how bout a rough an ready hemi powered 500 with the finish it has now for a few years ??   hot rod hemi 500 with some primer  and have fun at track or scaring women an kids?just my  :Twocents:  have fun with your cars.

:popcrn: :drool5: :popcrn: :cheers: :2thumbs:  dj out west

472 R/T SE

About the only time the air cleaner assembly looks big.   ;)

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Ghoste

hemi68charger

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on November 17, 2013, 03:41:44 PM
Ah oh.... another itch! :rofl:

Well, the scratch isn't as bad any more......... I just spoke with a very nice guy and will purchase a motor, tomorrow I will send the money.... It is a 426 Hemi built with a 440 rotating assembly. That will reduce rotating mass and make the fit to my 440 car even more simple. I don't have to worry about the valve covers ( has proper '66-'69 covers ) and has an OEM 2x4 intake already. Soooooo, it is time to start shopping for TTI headers.....  ( He may even have those for me too )......
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

69charger2002

Congrats Troy! Sounds like a fun project, HEMI can't be beat.. will be the best of both worlds  :2thumbs:
Trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Speedfreak

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 17, 2013, 04:43:02 PM
Quote from: 1970Moparmann on November 17, 2013, 03:41:44 PM
Ah oh.... another itch! :rofl:

Well, the scratch isn't as bad any more......... I just spoke with a very nice guy and will purchase a motor, tomorrow I will send the money.... It is a 426 Hemi built with a 440 rotating assembly. That will reduce rotating mass and make the fit to my 440 car even more simple. I don't have to worry about the valve covers ( has proper '66-'69 covers ) and has an OEM 2x4 intake already. Soooooo, it is time to start shopping for TTI headers.....  ( He may even have those for me too )......

If you are going to do it, do it right.  A stock Hemi is boring, believe me, I have 3, all stock, unfortunately they are original Hemi cars, so they have to stay that way.  A friend of mine on another site just finished a 528 Hemi F3R Procharger, dynoed at 1747 HP, totally streetable with a hydraulic roller cam, around .550 lift.  He pulled a 8-71 blower off the motor and changed over.  Best times on the old setup was 9.18 , this one should be flying in the 7's.   Just make sure you get an engine with around 9-1 compression, then you can add the Procharger on later.  With  that type of power you really will need wings.

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

hemi68charger

Quote from: Speedfreak on November 17, 2013, 06:03:31 PM
If you are going to do it, do it right.  A stock Hemi is boring, believe me, I have 3, all stock, unfortunately they are original Hemi cars, so they have to stay that way.  A friend of mine on another site just finished a 528 Hemi F3R Procharger, dynoed at 1747 HP, totally streetable with a hydraulic roller cam, around .550 lift.  He pulled a 8-71 blower off the motor and changed over.  Best times on the old setup was 9.18 , this one should be flying in the 7's.   Just make sure you get an engine with around 9-1 compression, then you can add the Procharger on later.  With  that type of power you really will need wings.

Thanks for the tip.. But, I won't be looking to break ET records or be the baddest car in town. I have always wanted a HEMI Daytona, but one that I can drive that's not going to be overly tempermental.......... I like the visual WOW factor to be honest, but that coupled with the headers and electric dumps I'm going to put on it, it'll have a audible WOW factor as well.
Troy

tan top

:cheers:  awesome stuff , looking forward to seeing updates & pictures & stuff  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mytur Binsdirti

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on November 18, 2013, 08:04:48 PM
Go for a 477 stroker; you won't regret it at all.

Already have one lined up............  Just put the "check" in the mail...............   :2thumbs:
Troy

Davtona

OK Troy gotta ask. Are we drilling holes and putting emblems on the doors. To me that's almost as neet as opening up the hood on a Hemi car.   

Emphasize Almost! 

472 R/T SE

Quote from: Davtona on November 18, 2013, 11:48:07 PM
OK Troy gotta ask. Are you drilling holes and putting emblems on the doors? To me that's almost as neat as opening up the hood on a Hemi car.   

Emphasize Almost! 

I wouldn't drill in any holes in a real Daytona.  The red colored 3M double sided tape works just as well.  Triple digit mph hasn't affected them either.  I can pull on them & they won't budge and it's been almost 8 years.

I cut the pegs off & built the inside of the emblem up with the tape so it was flush & that was all it took.

As I'm sure you know, just make sure the body is clean from wax, etc.

The most asked question I get, "Is it real?"
My favorite reply if there's no kids, "Touch it, does it feel real?"   :hah:

hemi68charger

Quote from: Davtona on November 18, 2013, 11:48:07 PM
OK Troy gotta ask. Are we drilling holes and putting emblems on the doors. To me that's almost as neet as opening up the hood on a Hemi car.   

Emphasize Almost! 

Yeappers,,,  Just as Mike has eluded to, that's my plan of attack on the door emblem, no hole-drilling. I still have the original "HEMI" badges from my former hemi '68 Charger R/T and test fit one on my C500.... Works like a charm............
Troy

thehemikid

What's your plans,... conversion mounts with existing K-member, or a hemi K ?

hemi68charger

Quote from: thehemikid on November 20, 2013, 04:38:43 PM

Well, in a perfect world, I would find an original hemi k-member on the cheap, but the reality is, it will probably be more cost effective to just get the Schumacher ( sp ) mounts.
Troy

Ghoste

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 18, 2013, 10:48:49 PM

Already have one lined up............  Just put the "check" in the mail...............   :2thumbs:

So you are going for a little more than visual wow.  ;) :D

hemi68charger

Quote from: Ghoste on November 21, 2013, 11:45:20 AM
Quote from: hemi68charger on November 18, 2013, 10:48:49 PM

So you are going for a little more than visual wow.  ;) :D

Well, my reply was supposed to communicate I have a HEMI on it's way, a 426.... Not a 477...........
Troy

472 R/T SE

Dumb question time Troy:

Have you run a stroked Hemi yet or rode in one?  When I mean run, get after it hard.

hotrod98

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 18, 2013, 09:02:32 AM
Quote from: Speedfreak on November 17, 2013, 06:03:31 PM

Thanks for the tip.. But, I won't be looking to break ET records or be the baddest car in town. I have always wanted a HEMI Daytona, but one that I can drive that's not going to be overly tempermental.......... I like the visual WOW factor to be honest, but that coupled with the headers and electric dumps I'm going to put on it, it'll have a audible WOW factor as well.

I installed QTP exhaust cutouts with a controller on a 69 Roadrunner with a six barrel. They sounded great but would work intermittently for some reason.  When we rolled up on the stage during a Mecum auction, the sorry things wouldn't open...right when I needed them to work.  As I drove off of the stage after the bidding was over, they started working again.  Stupid cutouts.  I should have left the controller off altogether and opened them individually. They've redesigned them and they may work much better now. Let me know how they work. I plan to run them on my F&F Daytona clone.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

hemi68charger

Quote from: hotrod98 on November 21, 2013, 08:12:00 PM

I installed QTP exhaust cutouts with a controller on a 69 Roadrunner with a six barrel....

Those are exactly what I'm getting for mine. My buddy Scott here in Houston has them on his '69 HEMI Charger R/T and they, seemingly, work great. It is what sold me on getting them.  :2thumbs:
Troy

thehemikid

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 21, 2013, 07:44:02 AM
Quote from: thehemikid on November 20, 2013, 04:38:43 PM

Well, in a perfect world, I would find an original hemi k-member on the cheap, but the reality is, it will probably be more cost effective to just get the Schumacher ( sp ) mounts.

My Schumacher's would leave the motor cocked at an angle (trans to the passenger side in the tunnel) to the point, it would've taken a pry bar with a heck of a strain to line it up. Loosened all the button heads on the Schumacher's & moved all the slack & all other bolts loose in favor of the problem & almost didn't make any difference. I would of had to bur grind the holes to make them "slots" & figured it would need extra material welded (as far as this trans needed to go) after that in order for the ones I have to work. It was either the K-member bolted or the trans bolted, but not both. Too much of a strain.

I know there are many guys that have built 3, 5, of more cars with the conversion mounts with not trouble like this, & I don't doubt that one bit. Just the luck of the draw for me. Maybe all the clearances added up against me, :P or Murphy took a liken to this set. :icon_smile_blackeye: 

So I called John Arruzza (sp) & he doesn't have any at this time, hasn't made any in about 8 months. Said he's busy building motors, ...I said I understand.

So I have a repro K coming from Mega,...any body have any problems with those?