News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The new beginning; Elephant with wings.... Whatcha think?

Started by hemi68charger, November 15, 2013, 08:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Quote from: thehemikid on November 21, 2013, 10:47:11 PM

So I called John Arruzza (sp) & he doesn't have any at this time, hasn't made any in about 8 months. Said he's busy building motors, ...I said I understand.

So I have a repro K coming from Mega,...any body have any problems with those?

John? Is he the one that builds the motor mounts for Schumacher? I would love a Hemi K-member from Jaime at Mega, but I need to spend the money I have wisely so when it is all gone, I have a running Hemi Daytona.......  If the financial forecast as I get closer shows I have extra money, I may spring for a k-member and motor mounts...... I'll have to get motor mount brackets too if I get the k-member since the ones I had went with the Hemi '68 I traded off....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

thehemikid

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 22, 2013, 08:37:11 AM

So I called John Arruzza (sp) & he doesn't have any at this time, hasn't made any in about 8 months. Said he's busy building motors, ...I said I understand.

John? Is he the one that builds the motor mounts for Schumacher? I would love a Hemi K-member from Jaime at Mega, but I need to spend the money I have wisely so when it is all gone, I have a running Hemi Daytona.......  If the financial forecast as I get closer shows I have extra money, I may spring for a k-member and motor mounts...... I'll have to get motor mount brackets too if I get the k-member since the ones I had went with the Hemi '68 I traded off....

No, John has been making his own conversion mounts for probably 20 yrs or more (iirc according to his site info). A pretty good while before Schumacher.  But John's are a solid mount (I'll double check that too), & locate the motor more correctly to the stock location, where the Schumacher raises the motor & moves it to the passenger side a small amount helping on the #1 primary clearance somewhat, but may get a header tube/collector close on the passenger side T-bar, but ummv.  Like my mileage very'd with the Schumachers. Seems some people don't have a vibration issue with the solid mounts & some do.

Edit: I see that John's uses a rubber mount on the passenger side, solving a lot of the vibe. Also he says there have been a lot of update on his mounts (site info) but a the moment it doesn't matter if there not available!

I understand the whisper of "Hemi" ...& every cash register in 10 square miles jingles.

It was a little easier for me to go with the Mega K because I could rob the brackets off another project.

As far as the Arruzza's just to show you what they look like, if this is the right link, its at the very bottom of the page.

http://www.arruzzahighperformance.com/Parts/Parts.html

hemi68charger

Quote from: thehemikid on November 22, 2013, 04:25:05 PM
Edit: I see that John's uses a rubber mount on the passenger side, solving a lot of the vibe. Also he says there have been a lot of update on his mounts (site info) but a the moment it doesn't matter if there not available!

I see what you mean, seems like a good set......... I'll reach out and see if he has any "hidden" stash......  :2thumbs:

Thanks for your input..........
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

hemi68charger

OK, test fit of the "HEMI" call-out emblem.......  Look totally natural too me.......
Troy

hemi68charger

Well,
Spoke with Wayne ( theramman ) yesterday on a COMPLETE assembly; offset bracket, reman hemi booster and proper master cylinder. I have 3 extra Bendix boosters, so they will be getting me a $ credit... Sooo, that's the avenue I'm going down.......

426 Hemi: Check
OEMstyle carbs: Check
Air Cleaner: Check
complete Hemi brake booster assembly: Check..

need to get:
motor mount brackets
headers
engine wiring harness
Troy

FJMG

Nice!

So will you be bending your existing engine side brake lines or you getting the fender side lines to thread into the MC?

Ghoste

hemi68charger

Quote from: FJMG on November 26, 2013, 01:04:16 PM
Nice!

So will you be bending your existing engine side brake lines or you getting the fender side lines to thread into the MC?

Being that I have a complete brake line kit from Finelines ( front to rear ), I am going to get the proper driver's side mounting lines for the master cylinder...........
Troy

hemi68charger

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 26, 2013, 01:42:23 PM
And - Hemi battery cables?

yeap, that too............  :2thumbs:

I will have to get a proper Federal power steering pump bracket as well. I have a couple of Federal pumps in my stash, so hopefully I can rebuild one that's close to original design... I will used the 440 crank and water pump pulleys. The motor I'm getting has a 440 rotating assembly...... So,,,,,,,, I won't have the thick dampner........
Troy

cdr

hey Troy i have to say, i like what you are doing to the car,the emblem on the door looks like IT SHOULD BE THERE, oh & the hemi under the hood will be cool too  :yesnod:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

hemi68charger

Quote from: cdr on November 26, 2013, 05:49:26 PM
hey Troy i have to say, i like what you are doing to the car,the emblem on the door looks like IT SHOULD BE THERE, oh & the hemi under the hood will be cool too  :yesnod:

Maybe you can swing by when the transplant operation takes place once all my ducks are in a row.......
Troy

cdr

sounds good. :2thumbs: i needs to get by there anyhow just to say  :wave:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 21, 2013, 07:44:02 AM
Quote from: thehemikid on November 20, 2013, 04:38:43 PM
What's your plans,... conversion mounts with existing K-member, or a hemi K ?

Well, in a perfect world, I would find an original hemi k-member on the cheap, but the reality is, it will probably be more cost effective to just get the Schumacher ( sp ) mounts.

My Schumacher's would leave the motor cocked at an angle (trans to the passenger side in the tunnel) to the point, it would've taken a pry bar with a heck of a strain to line it up. Loosened all the button heads on the Schumacher's & moved all the slack & all other bolts loose in favor of the problem & almost didn't make any difference. I would of had to bur grind the holes to make them "slots" & figured it would need extra material welded (as far as this trans needed to go) after that in order for the ones I have to work. It was either the K-member bolted or the trans bolted, but not both. Too much of a strain.

I know there are many guys that have built 3, 5, of more cars with the conversion mounts with not trouble like this, & I don't doubt that one bit. Just the luck of the draw for me. Maybe all the clearances added up against me, :P or Murphy took a liken to this set. :icon_smile_blackeye: 

I used a MegaParts Hemik in my Daytona Clone and it worked flawlessly.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

472 R/T SE

This place will sell you a new Bendix for $200, at least a year ago it was.  I don't know whether you want to have the Hemi Bendix for personal reasons or if the standard is good enough.
http://mbmbrakeboosters.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=mbmflypage.tpl&product_id=409&category_id=12&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=6

Contact member "ernie" & he can hook you up with the bracketry.  

I'm pretty sure going the above route is a fraction of what Ram man charges

hemi68charger

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on November 26, 2013, 11:34:40 PM
This place will sell you a new Bendix for $200, at least a year ago it was.  I don't know whether you want to have the Hemi Bendix for personal reasons or if the standard is good enough.
http://mbmbrakeboosters.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=mbmflypage.tpl&product_id=409&category_id=12&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=6

Contact member "ernie" & he can hook you up with the bracketry.  

I'm pretty sure going the above route is a fraction of what Ram man charges

Hey Mike,,,
Thanks for the insight...    :2thumbs:

But, I have already made a commitment with Wayne and feel I'll be getting value.... With the trade-in value of the boosters I have, it'll be close to 40% off...
Troy

hemi68charger

Scott's carbs from Harms Auto arrived today... :)

I'm off to get the 426 Hemi Friday......  :2thumbs:

For my application and combined with the fact I'm going with headers, I like the electric part for the choke....
Troy

Ghoste

Agreed, nice to see you're doing it right and not just dropping it in as quickly and cheaply as possible.

1970Moparmann

Looks good Troy!   The Hemi will be in the car by Christmas??  Early gift I see. :cheers:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

hemi68charger

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on December 10, 2013, 08:30:05 AM
Looks good Troy!   The Hemi will be in the car by Christmas??  Early gift I see. :cheers:

Well..........   :D

Just got contacted from the gent the motor's at, all safe and sound tucked away for me.. Heading up there Friday to pick it up.......
Troy

Mytur Binsdirti

You announced this in mid-November and youre not done yet?      :shruggy:

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on December 10, 2013, 07:13:40 PM
You announced this in mid-November and youre not done yet?      :shruggy:

Logistics, Logistics, Logistics......
Troy

69_500

The more pics you post the more jealous I am Troy. Looking good though. Can not wait to see finished product.

wingcarenvy

So cool Troy!I really like your Daytona and I don't think your doing any harm putting a Hemi in it. Its not like your turning it into a Pro Touring car  :eek2:

Does your Daytona have it numbers matching motor?

The dirty primered Hemi Charger 500 does sound like a legend in the making, but I am partial since I spent some time in moparchris's Hemi 500 way back in the day when I was a kid. That car runs better than any stock Hemi I rode in. Wicked.