News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Console questions

Started by myk, November 18, 2013, 05:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk

Well, after 20 years of ownership I've finally got around to buying a console for the car.  Problem is when I received it I could tell the shipping process had damaged it in two places:

&

How do I go about patching this up?  Is there some sort of epoxy that I should use to plug up those pieces together?  Thanks in advance guys...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

squeakfinder

If you have all the piece's the two part epoxy from Permatex works. It comes in a duel syringe.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

squeakfinder

If there is going to be some big gaps or holes you might resort to fiberglass on the inside and then smoothing it out with some plastic body filler. Getting the texture wright might be a little tricky. Cover it with vinyl/plastic paint when done. It looks like were the damage is, when installed in the car it will be somewhat hidden.

myk

Yeah the front will be hidden for sure, and the top plate will even hold it all together, so I may just duct-tape it from behind (lol!), epoxy ir or maybe even leave it be.  As for the side cracks, all of the pieces are there and I'm hoping I can glue it all together.  Thanks for the suggestions...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

bill440rt

Was the package insured and packed well?
If so I'd be looking to file a claim with the carrier. I know FedEx automatically insures packages up to $100.

If not, look for a strong plastic glue. It'll be REALLY tough to make the broken seam invisible on textured plastic.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

myk

Quote from: bill440rt on November 18, 2013, 06:00:14 PM
Was the package insured and packed well?
If so I'd be looking to file a claim with the carrier. I know FedEx automatically insures packages up to $100.

If not, look for a strong plastic glue. It'll be REALLY tough to make the broken seam invisible on textured plastic.

Talking to the seller about it now.

Uh....how do you take the shifter knob off?   Lol...

A383Wing

loosen set screw under knob...unscrew knob to remove...careful...when you get to the end, the spring will throw the shifter button out

squeakfinder

I think it's a really tiny screw on the shifter...

squeakfinder

This is the way mine arrived....

twodko

Myk,

I'm not sensing any steam comin' outta your ears or underlying anger here. Are you back on your meds.
I'd be livid.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

myk

Quote from: A383Wing on November 18, 2013, 06:11:11 PM
loosen set screw under knob...unscrew knob to remove...careful...when you get to the end, the spring will throw the shifter button out

Ha ha thank you.  I remember back in the day when I first took the knob off it did just that.  In any case, ZOMG I'm so excited-I have a CONSOLE now! 

Ghoste

I'd be livid as well.  Did you buy a used one Myk or a repro?

myk

Quote from: Ghoste on November 18, 2013, 06:58:55 PM
I'd be livid as well.  Did you buy a used one Myk or a repro?

I bought a sub-standard one off of ebay.   ::)  As a matter of fact, I'm not even sure it belongs in a Charger, but it's better than staring at a naked shifter.  I'll post pictures ASAP. 

Ghoste

It looks correct from the photo at the top.  It had a pretty big application list so there is a good chance its for a Charger.

cdr

it appears to be made of abs,just like the grill is,i used acetone on a q tip on the cracks & then held it together for about 5 min ,so far i have leaned on it by accident & it did not crack . 
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

tan top

if that was mine  , would stick it back together with  super glue or similar  , drill the ends of the cracks with a tiny drill bit to stop it spreading .  then with a soldiering iron melt the crack together , both sides ( glue was only to hold the pieces in place initially  while  welding it together with a soldering gun/iron , don't go mad & try & do it all at once & get the plastic too hot &   runny , but at the same time want good penetration with the heat so the crack melts together , once that's done & cooled both sides ,  with a suitable size ( enough to cover the damage & a couple of inches of the good inside, )  bondo spreader or piece of plastic ,  stick it over the damaged area  with PU sealer / windshield glue  , ie  spread the PU sealer over the inside of the damaged area  ,  then stick the spreader / piece of plastic on top & cover it with more pu sealer , once that's all gone off  , that will add loads of strength to the repaired area & if melting of the plastic with the soldering iron has been done well , will never crack ,
  , flat / block the repair  & ad filler if necessary  as you would to any plastic repair job on a bumper etc ,  then plastic primer , & a few good coats of high build  primer ,  then flat & prep as normal  , any paint shop can mix  textured matt paint , then either gray scotchbright  the whole console , then plastic primer  , then 2 or 3 light textured coats over the repaired area , then one over the whole lot , or  might get away with keeping the painting to a  small amount as possible  & flick the paint   out along the side , & wont notice too much  as its between the seat , & keep it off the top rear too, plus there are lots of shadows etc to take you eye away from stuff    ,   although just as easy to paint the whole lot  :yesnod:

there is another way  !  a sleezy way to paint texture ,  with varing levels of success in small areas to blend in , you  need to pratice to get the feel how it sprays out of a rattle can  ,  use black paintable stone chip / under seal from 3m ,  you may need to give it a light flat (nib ) with 800 grit  wet , to reduce the texturing as required  etc then  satin black from a rattle can  , doing it this way your only painting minimal amounts  ,  
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

myk

^^^WOW.  I'll certainly give that a thought.

BTW here are some pictures of the console from ebay:

Installed for kicks:

I'll extract the console again to re-bulb it, as well as figure out what I'm going to do about repairing the broken pieces.  As for the ebay auction itself, do I just leave things as-is with the seller, or what?  In my opinion abuse and rough treatment from shipping companies is to be expected; the packing job on the count of the seller was a crap-job if I ever saw one but...for $350 I THINK I got an OK deal. 

Again, thanks for your input guys...

twodko

Myk,

My opinion.....def looks correct and salvageable. With that said, damage caused by piss poor packaging is def grounds for a buyer/seller resolution in your favor.

Is it worth efforting such a resolution based on what you paid for the console though????

TanTop,
You're speaking to the art of our affliction not simple restoration. Bravo dude!
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

myk

Quote from: twodko on November 19, 2013, 01:27:45 AM
Myk,

My opinion.....def looks correct and salvageable. With that said, damage caused by piss poor packaging is def grounds for a buyer/seller resolution in your favor.

Is it worth efforting such a resolution based on what you paid for the console though????

TanTop,
You're speaking to the art of our affliction not simple restoration. Bravo dude!

That's what I'd like to know: if you guys think I got a good deal despite the shoddy packing job and I should just forget the issue then I will.  Despite the cracked areas, mildly faded paint and the slight crome-pitting I think it's in good shape.

PS: What are the seat belt-looking things on the top part of the back of the console?

1974dodgecharger

gorilla glue?  I gorrilla glued the main part in my 4 speed console where the two screws go.

bill440rt

Quote from: myk on November 19, 2013, 02:21:17 AM
Myk,

TanTop,

That's what I'd like to know: if you guys think I got a good deal despite the shoddy packing job and I should just forget the issue then I will.  Despite the cracked areas, mildly faded paint and the slight crome-pitting I think it's in good shape.

PS: What are the seat belt-looking things on the top part of the back of the console?

If I plunked down that much on an item and it arrived damaged I would be contacting the seller ASAP. Especially if it was packed poorly. The key to safe shipping is all in the packaging.
Put it this way, you paid for an undamaged item and received one that was.  
What carrier did he use to ship it? Was it insured???

The seat belt retainers I believe were for C-body? Or perhaps B-body? Definitely not out of a Charger, although it is in essence the same console.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

Yes, C-body but still same console shell.

cdr

the acetone on the console works great !!!!! just sayin. again
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

myk

Quote from: bill440rt on November 19, 2013, 08:05:36 AM
Quote from: myk on November 19, 2013, 02:21:17 AM
Myk,

TanTop,

That's what I'd like to know: if you guys think I got a good deal despite the shoddy packing job and I should just forget the issue then I will.  Despite the cracked areas, mildly faded paint and the slight crome-pitting I think it's in good shape.

If I plunked down that much on an item and it arrived damaged I would be contacting the seller ASAP. Especially if it was packed poorly. The key to safe shipping is all in the packaging.
Put it this way, you paid for an undamaged item and received one that was. 
What carrier did he use to ship it? Was it insured???

The seat belt retainers I believe were for C-body? Or perhaps B-body? Definitely not out of a Charger, although it is in essence the same console.

It was shipped via UPS.  What sort of action do you feel would be adequate from the seller?  I ask because I don't have any experience in this situation; this is probably the first time I've received anything from ebay and UPS that has been damaged. 

Quote from: cdr on November 19, 2013, 10:58:40 AM
the acetone on the console works great !!!!! just sayin. again

Yes, thank you-I'll consider using that as well.  The console isn't so badly damaged that I want to return or otherwise get rid of it, but it's still damaged and I'm unsure as to what sort of compensation I should receive...

Ghoste

At the very very least, you shouldn't have to pay for shipping but if it were me I would likely seek a total refund and see if the seller wants it returned.  Thats just me though.