News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Console questions

Started by myk, November 18, 2013, 05:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk

Quote from: Ghoste on November 19, 2013, 11:18:50 AM
At the very very least, you shouldn't have to pay for shipping but if it were me I would likely seek a total refund and see if the seller wants it returned.  Thats just me though.

I like your suggestion on the shipping refund.  If I were to seek a total refund however, I'm pretty sure I'd have to return the whole balky thing.  Personally, I'd rather avoid paying $1K to buy another console, but as things sit right now something should be done.  Now, let's see if the seller even bothers to respond to me. 

Question: is it just me, or this console, or are these things really fragile?  I remember when I first got this car 20 years ago about 1/2 of the original console was there, but the moment I uh...put some "unannounced" weight on it the whole thing shattered; is this normal?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Ghoste

No they don't take a whole lot of stress and I think they likely become more brittle over time.

myk

Quote from: Ghoste on November 19, 2013, 11:47:19 AM
No they don't take a whole lot of stress and I think they likely become more brittle over time.

*Sigh*  Should I have just gone with a 'repro shell and built that one up? 
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Ghoste

No, you should go with what feels right to you.

twodko

Myk,

The first thing to do, contacting the seller, you've already done. I don't know the what eRape's guidelines are but there is some bad juju that happens to sellers who get frequent negative comments from buyers. If the seller is a stand-up person he/she will make some adjustment in exchange for a good comment. Certainly none be of my business but if I were in your situation:

I wouldn't want the hassle of having to ship it back. This might be the resolution the sellers wants and will pay return shipping. I'd expect to receive the item in the sellers stated condition........no exceptions.

If you want to salvage the console petition for a full refund and negotiate from there. The seller might just agree in order to come away clean with no bad review. I have had a similar experience.....a full refund was offered in exchange for a positive review. In my case the item was a sun visor so returning it wasn't a packaging nightmare.

eRape monitors all disputes to insure a fair resolution is achieved. Seller and buyer can ask for mediation. Both party's must agree to ebay's decision.

Finally, since I'm so picky about our cars if the console that originally came with yours did not have those seat belt thingys, I wouldn't settle for one that's not year correct.

How much is a new console shell?
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Mike DC

The consoles were crappy underbuilt items to start with.  

The OEMs should know that whenever there is a console between the front two seats, sooner or later it's gonna see most/all of somebody's body weight resting on it.  If not sitting on it, then putting their hands on it to hold themelves up as they lean or climb over.

myk

Quote from: twodko on November 19, 2013, 12:37:24 PM
Myk,

The first thing to do, contacting the seller, you've already done. I don't know the what eRape's guidelines are but there is some bad juju that happens to sellers who get frequent negative comments from buyers. If the seller is a stand-up person he/she will make some adjustment in exchange for a good comment. Certainly none be of my business but if I were in your situation:

I wouldn't want the hassle of having to ship it back. This might be the resolution the sellers wants and will pay return shipping. I'd expect to receive the item in the sellers stated condition........no exceptions.

If you want to salvage the console petition for a full refund and negotiate from there. The seller might just agree in order to come away clean with no bad review. I have had a similar experience.....a full refund was offered in exchange for a positive review. In my case the item was a sun visor so returning it wasn't a packaging nightmare.

eRape monitors all disputes to insure a fair resolution is achieved. Seller and buyer can ask for mediation. Both party's must agree to ebay's decision.

Finally, since I'm so picky about our cars if the console that originally came with yours did not have those seat belt thingys, I wouldn't settle for one that's not year correct.

How much is a new console shell?

Wow-a full refund, that'd be quite a blow to the seller.  You know this is why I personally stopped selling on ebay-it was tough and I could get put under scrutiny for a lot of things if the buyer was critical enough.  I'm pretty sure that if a full refund was the decision I'd have to send the console back.  A new shell costs about $300 with shipping.  

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on November 19, 2013, 12:43:31 PM

The consoles were crappy underbuilt items to start with.  

The OEMs should know that whenever there is a console between the front two seats, sooner or later it's gonna see most/all of somebody's body weight resting on it.  If not sitting on it, then putting their hands on it to hold themelves up as they lean or climb over.

EXACTLY; what you said is the reason why it's taken me 20 years to get a console in this car.  Truth be told I actually HATE the OEM console design; it's big, balky, unattractive, structurally weak and doesn't even have any cup holders!  I've been planning to design a custom console that in theory would have been more aesthetically pleasing, functional (cup holders!) and most importantly structurally sound, but I can't come up with any ideas and I'm sick of starting at that empty space and naked shifter; so I caved and decided to buy this console.  

twodko

Myk,

You might shoot MoparSal a PM, he seems to have a lot of parts.

WHITE AND RED 69

At least contact the shipper and see if he had insurance on it. Maybe he could just give you a discount?

If you decide to fix it check out a product called plasti-fix. It smells terrible but it's a great product. Just use a dremel on the back side of the console to take off some material and then fill it in with the 2 part system. It's a powder and liquid so it will fill in all the gaps.

What's with the seatbelt hooks?
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

myk

Quote from: twodko on November 19, 2013, 02:29:36 PM
Myk,

You might shoot MoparSal a PM, he seems to have a lot of parts.

Just might have to do that.

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on November 19, 2013, 03:05:28 PM
At least contact the shipper and see if he had insurance on it. Maybe he could just give you a discount?

If you decide to fix it check out a product called plasti-fix. It smells terrible but it's a great product. Just use a dremel on the back side of the console to take off some material and then fill it in with the 2 part system. It's a powder and liquid so it will fill in all the gaps.

What's with the seatbelt hooks?

I like where you and Ghoste are headed with this; a refund of $60 to cover the shipping would be adequate.  As for the seatbelt hooks, someone has suggested that this console came out of a C body...or something...

bill440rt

If you are looking to re-coup on this, your very first action should be to document everything, which you have done with photos.
Second step is to contact the seller to inform him how it arrived. He may be willing to offer something up front, or work out a resolution. Whatever that amount is entirely up to you and the seller.
Or, he can assist you in making a claim with the carrier. Information may be found on the packing slip. I had to assist a buyer with this, once.
Usually if it is poorly packed it may be deemed the fault of the seller for not packing it adequately and they may deny the claim.
If it was packed correctly and the box is damaged then it may be the fault of the carrier and they would cover it for whatever the seller insured it for. Does the box look damaged or dropped?
This whole process is actually very simple. Common sense, really.
Communication with the seller is key.

If you are knee deep in sh*t with this and can't repair it, let me know. Not here to push anything on anyone but I do have one listed in the classifieds on here. Complete with woodgrain tops, no cracks. Green.   
Good luck.  :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

myk

Good ideas Bill.  Unfortunately, it's been about 2 days since I emailed the condition of the console and I haven't heard anything.  I'd certainly hate for this situation to turn ugly...

squeakfinder

I don't know about buying a repro unless you have all the hardware and chrome things on hand allready. You might have all that now. The one I posted a pictured of was shattered beyond repair but the chrome was in excellent shape. So I kept the hardware/chrome and sent back the plastic remains and hoped to get a partial refund. That didn't happen because there was no damage to the box, FedEx denied the claim.
    It was the same situation, the seller did a sh!tty job on the packageing. He kind of made it up to me buy giving a good price on a shifter that was in excellent condition. I eventually found a console shell on feebay that was in about the same shape as yours and quite repairable. I feel your pain.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

myk

Quote from: squeakfinder on November 20, 2013, 06:44:48 PM

I don't know about buying a repro unless you have all the hardware and chrome things on hand allready. You might have all that now. The one I posted a pictured of was shattered beyond repair but the chrome was in excellent shape. So I kept the hardware/chrome and sent back the plastic remains and hoped to get a partial refund. That didn't happen because there was no damage to the box, FedEx denied the claim.
    It was the same situation, the seller did a sh!tty job on the packageing. He kind of made it up to me buy giving a good price on a shifter that was in excellent condition. I eventually found a console shell on feebay that was in about the same shape as yours and quite repairable. I feel your pain.

I will say that all of the components on this console are in good to great shape; those pieces would be a nice finishing touch to a repro.  Then again, if I were to spend the extra $300 to get a repro shell I could've just bought an OEM console in better shape to begin with.   :-\

cudaken

MKY, you are right about the console being fragile, mainly the big rear section where the stupid seat belt holders are on yours!  :puke:

When I got my 69 Charger good 23 years ago my was cracked in that area. Crack is / was about 6 inches but all the parts fit tight. I pulled the console and used a 1/4 of Cat Hair (Slang for Fiberglass with long fibers) and while it was curing I stuck a few pieces of brazing rod (It was just handy) to act as re-bar then added another 1/2 coat after that.

Made it way stronger than new. I placed my had there more than once to help my fat butt out my accident  :slap: and it has held.

Cuda Ken   
I am back

myk

Quote from: cudaken on November 20, 2013, 11:02:38 PM

MKY, you are right about the console being fragile, mainly the big rear section where the stupid seat belt holders are on yours!  :puke:

When I got my 69 Charger good 23 years ago my was cracked in that area. Crack is / was about 6 inches but all the parts fit tight. I pulled the console and used a 1/4 of Cat Hair (Slang for Fiberglass with long fibers) and while it was curing I stuck a few pieces of brazing rod (It was just handy) to act as re-bar then added another 1/2 coat after that.

Made it way stronger than new. I placed my had there more than once to help my fat butt out my accident  :slap: and it has held.

Cuda Ken   

Damn that console.  All it will take is one errant hand or foot and I bet a piece of that thing will break.  Is the repro stronger or...strong enough to be functional?

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: myk on November 19, 2013, 11:51:14 AM

I would of said yes to that.  Yup very brittle I have some gorilla glue in some parts of mine and I mean heavy duty super duty gorilla glue in the weak areas.  It's holdin up fine so far.....

myk

Well it's been almost a week and two emails later; suffice to say this seller isn't going to respond.  Since I'm not used to dealing with bad sellers, is this the point where I take it up with ebay itself?

Edit: I tried to open a case with ebay but they're saying that I purchased the console as a "guest user" and have to go through paypal directly?  I've been buying on ebay since 1999?  What gives?

twodko

Myk,

Keep working ePay. It's a PITA but you deserve come out this on the upside.

Ghoste

A383Wing

myk

Apparently I can't file a claim with ebay because I purchased the console as a "guest user."  I tried to file with paypal but they don't have any record of my auction.  I'm going to have to try to call an actual human being on that ancient, seldomly used device called the telephone..

Ghoste

Mike DC

Sorry about the trouble.  Buying from strangers is a bitch.  Shipping can make it complicated even from people you know. 

bull

Quote from: myk on November 19, 2013, 11:51:14 AM

:yesnod: