News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Console questions

Started by myk, November 18, 2013, 05:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk

Well, finally got a hold of someone on ebay, who sent me to paypal to file an actual claim.  I guess as soon as they take a claim they email it to both the seller and the buyer.  I told the paypal 'rep "good luck, because I've been trying to contact this seller for the last two weeks."  No more than 10 minutes after I got off of the phone with paypal I got an email from paypal stating that the seller was fighting my claim. 

Golly, I guess I'm glad to see the seller is still alive, right?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Ghoste

I hope it goes right for you Myk.

myk

Thanks Ghoste and everyone else.  With the seller refuting the claim paypal won't refund the money, which I understand.  At this point all that remains is a partial refund, which I think is fair, or I then return the console for a full refund. 

Honestly, I don't want to deal with shipping this thing back, as I can only imagine it will be expensive and difficult to do so.  I'm hoping for the partial refund.  If the seller had just responded to me initially and offered me a refund on the shipping, a mere $40, I would've taken it and the partially broken console despite everyone else telling me I should be out for blood.  Oh well...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

squeakfinder

There used to be allot of used parts on feebay to choose from but not anymore. If it doe's happen that you wind up with the option of being able to send it back for a full refund. You'll have to start all over again. Partial refund sounds like the best option to me.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

myk

Yup-it's no wonder why some of those consoles go for a thousand dollars, easily...

Ghoste

A thousand?!  Before the repops came along I used to see people ask as much as 800 for them but if people are paying a thousand easily then someone is getting ripped off!

myk

Oh for sure; I see consoles, admittedly in really nice, resto-quality condition, going for AT LEAST $800, with BIN prices in the 4-digit range.  It's usually the 4 speed ones that cost more....

Ghoste

Thats insane.  People need to look around a little more carefully if they are actually paying that.

myk

Question:  My next door neighbor just told me that UPS was at my door to "pick up a package due to damage."  Does Paypal and their resolution team really work that quickly?  Furthermore, shouldn't I have been told that this was the final judgement?  This is really odd...

Ghoste

I wouldn't think so but I really don't know.  :shruggy: :shruggy:

sanders7981

Looks good in the car!  :2thumbs:  give me hope for mine.  I picked one up locally from a lady that was giving it away for free!!  She said it was her husbands, which I assume they either divorced or he died, but she didn't want any money for it... Just wanted it out of her garage.  I sent my wife over to pick it up while I was at work so I didn't miss out on the chance of getting it.  I was pondering the idea of restoring it and selling it because I found out it was for a C-body car, but now I am thinking about keeping it!  It has one small crack in it that is easily fixable. 

myk

Quote from: sanders7981 on November 25, 2013, 08:06:27 PM
Looks good in the car!  :2thumbs:  give me hope for mine.  I picked one up locally from a lady that was giving it away for free!!  She said it was her husbands, which I assume they either divorced or he died, but she didn't want any money for it... Just wanted it out of her garage.  I sent my wife over to pick it up while I was at work so I didn't miss out on the chance of getting it.  I was pondering the idea of restoring it and selling it because I found out it was for a C-body car, but now I am thinking about keeping it!  It has one small crack in it that is easily fixable. 

Post up some pictures.  Is it shaped any differently since it's for a C body?

Ghoste

Depending on the year but isn't the big difference in the C-body just that some have the seat belt clips on top and some have a different rear panel screwed on that either have a cigarette lighter or a lamp in them?

bill440rt

myk, if this craps out, move to plan B.
Fix the busted shell, sell it, buy a new repro shell, transfer over all of the goodies onto it. Install in the car. Enjoy.  :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

Yes, Plan B is excellent advice.  :yesnod:

Dino

If you don't know how to fix a console, and it's not an easy task, why not just glue the parts back on and cover the whole thing in a nice leather?  That is real easy to do, it's cheap, and it will look great!  Heck an upholstery shop can do it real fast.  I plan on covering my console when I redo my interior in all black leather.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

sanders7981

Ok... Total brain fart on this one.  It's been a awhile since I looked at this console.  Not the same one as you got.  I think it's from an A-Body... Not sure though.  It will clean up really nice.  The crack is toward the back of the box in the last pic.  I think it was a little small looking sitting on the transmission tunnel... So I will probably restore and sell it. 

A383Wing

above pic is for "A" body...will not work in a "B" body

myk

Quote from: bill440rt on November 26, 2013, 07:52:27 AM
myk, if this craps out, move to plan B.
Fix the busted shell, sell it, buy a new repro shell, transfer over all of the goodies onto it. Install in the car. Enjoy.  :cheers:

Good idea.  I'm just hoping that paypal doesn't instruct me to return the console to settle the matter.  Would the shipping come out of my pocket?  I don't want to have to pay for their lousy packing so that might be another point of conflict. 

Question: does the repro shell have the compartment/bin molded into it, or is that a bolt-in piece?  I already have a top plate that with a little TLC will be ok, and I could just buy the lights; this would serve as an acceptable work-in-progress as I tried to collect the other pieces.

Quote from: Dino on November 26, 2013, 10:30:39 AM
If you don't know how to fix a console, and it's not an easy task, why not just glue the parts back on and cover the whole thing in a nice leather?  That is real easy to do, it's cheap, and it will look great!  Heck an upholstery shop can do it real fast.  I plan on covering my console when I redo my interior in all black leather.

That's not a bad idea either.  Fortunately, the breaks in the console are hidden from the seats and the lower portion of the heater/AC thingy up front.  What I'd like to do is replace the bulbs, fix the cracks/pieces and refresh the paint; I'd be satisfied with that...

Ghoste

myk

Oooo...thanks for that link!

Troy

Amazingly, your console isn't cracked where all the rest are. Go figure!

I wouldn't have bought it because of the seat belt clips though. In my mind, why would I spend all that money for something that doesn't look correct? If you keep it, buying a repro shell would work out as you've got all the other pieces to stick on there. Good top plates can be worth a good deal. Light bezels and the rear cover that aren't really pitted can be tough to find as well. I don't think yours looks hard to fix though. Some decent glue (or acetone as mentioned) and some patience and it will be hard to see the repairs unless you're very close with decent lighting.

Watch out for the repros as I've heard the mold has deteriorated over time and the fit/finish has suffered. The one I had was from the very first batch ever made and it was very nice.

The 4-speed components - especially top plates - are worth a fortune because there are so few of them.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

Quote from: Troy on November 27, 2013, 03:45:56 PM
Amazingly, your console isn't cracked where all the rest are. Go figure!

I think its just because its shipping damage in this case.

TONY

hi

we are the manufacturer of the consoles and the only finish or fitment issues that i was aware of was when the first generation reproduction topplates came out.

the issue was that the topplates were too long and or not shaped correctly

our reproduction console has always worked well with original topplates and the reproduction topplates have been corrected for quite awhile now

one thing to remember is that the original topplates when new did not fit the original consoles perfectly
here is a link to a 1970 model introduction video that shows a console with topplates not fitting correctly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElVKdsHmP7A&list=FLRiNzOUagQ7Tejavby3xyhw&index=15
if you check out the video at 3:14 thru 3:30, and 8:53 (a different car) you can see how the topplates are aligned perfectly.
you can also see how the woodgrain colors on the topplates dont match either

we sell assembled consoles, with used original trim, and dont have issues with fitment of the original trim on the console bodies, it does take some time to adjust to improve on the factory fit as im sure the assembly line workers werent as detail conscious as we are today

there is/was a fiberglass reproduction console available that has always had fit and appearance issues, but ours are injection molded like the originals, and we do inspect the consoles prior to them leaving our facility for finish and appearance issues.

thank you

Tony

myk

Thanks for taking the time to post up!  Would you say your repro consoles are....strong enough to take a little weight on them?  I'd hate to get one of your consoles and then just have it break because I placed my hand on it or something...