News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Console questions

Started by myk, November 18, 2013, 05:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike DC

I have thought more than once about building a homemade console from plywood or particle board.  Anything constructed like that would be very strong for the job.  

I wouldn't even try to make it look totally stock, just something 15-foot-accurate that has provisions for decent cupholders somewhere.  If it incorporated the stock console top plates & lights & trim that would already win 2/3rds of the battle in terms of appearance.  The wooden areas visible on the sides could be covered with vinyl in the correct color & grain pattern.  

Ghoste

How did we ever exist before cupholders?  :lol:

Dino

Myk these consoles were never built to withstand any real pressure.  You can usually put your hand flat on the top plate and gently apply pressure, but that's about it.  A quick turn and lean to get something from the back seat may result in an 'oh crap' moment.

You could take a console and beef it up by applying reinforcement on the inside of the shell.  It would take some investigating on what products to use but it may be worth it if you really insist on having to lean on that thing.   :lol:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghoste

Yep, meant to be decorative and hold nothing heavier than the amps and like that you put in the compartment.  Absolutely not meant for some girl to park on.

TONY

Quote from: myk on November 28, 2013, 01:26:34 AM
Thanks for taking the time to post up!  Would you say your repro consoles are....strong enough to take a little weight on them?  I'd hate to get one of your consoles and then just have it break because I placed my hand on it or something...

your welcome, no problem for me to respond

like some other members have said, they aren't made to lean or stand on,
you could probably lean on the console door as that area is sitting flat on a floor mounting on it, but not to put all of your weight on it.

the weak and most vulnerable area is the raised section to the rear of the console door.

reinforcing it may be an idea, but i would err on the side of caution and treat it easy

one advantage our consoles have over the originals is that they are new, not 40+ year old plastic that most likely is very brittle

thank you
and Happy Thanksgiving everyone

Tony

myk

Quote from: TONY on November 28, 2013, 10:33:23 AM
Thanks for taking the time to post up!  Would you say your repro consoles are....strong enough to take a little weight on them?  I'd hate to get one of your consoles and then just have it break because I placed my hand on it or something...

you could probably lean on the console door as that area is sitting flat on a floor mounting on it, but not to put all of your weight on it.

the weak and most vulnerable area is the raised section to the rear of the console door.

reinforcing it may be an idea, but i would err on the side of caution and treat it easy

one advantage our consoles have over the originals is that they are new, not 40+ year old plastic that most likely is very brittle

thank you

Tony

Well Tony I might have to talk to you further as Paypal has finally made their decision:  they want me to pack up the console and send it back, however I don't think it's that simple.  Don't know about you guys, but I don't like the idea of letting this thing go AND possibly coughing up additional cash to ship it off, and with nothing to show for it!  No console, no money, and now a thinner wallet because of having to ship this thing back?  Secondly, what if the seller gets the console and claims that it's damaged even further?  What happens then? 

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

bull

$1,000 is a correct estimate on paper but in reality you can get one for less if you take your time and shop around. I saw a new repro PG Classic top plate set sell for $227 on Ebay once, still kick myself for not buying it just because. I was able to find a new repro console shell for less on Ebay because the seller decided not to continue with his restoration. The light bezels and lenses can be had for a reasonable price at most places. Anyway, you get the idea but if you really shop around you can get everything and save $300-$400.

A383Wing

Quote from: myk on November 28, 2013, 02:21:12 PM

thank you

Tony

Well Tony I might have to talk to you further as Paypal has finally made their decision:  they want me to pack up the console and send it back, however I don't think it's that simple.  Don't know about you guys, but I don't like the idea of letting this thing go AND possibly coughing up additional cash to ship it off, and with nothing to show for it!  No console, no money, and now a thinner wallet because of having to ship this thing back?  Secondly, what if the seller gets the console and claims that it's damaged even further?  What happens then? 

call paypal and talk to a live person and ask these questions to them

myk

Quote from: A383Wing on November 28, 2013, 04:22:26 PM
Quote from: myk on November 28, 2013, 02:21:12 PM

thank you

Tony

call paypal and talk to a live person and ask these questions to them

Well, I just got off the phone with Paypal and as I feared, the packing and return of the console to the seller is completely on me.  UPS stores are estimating it will cost at least $83 to ship it off, but they can't be sure until they have the console sitting in their store.  Furthermore, Paypal also tells me that the seller can file an appeal with Paypal after I get my refund if they elect to do so, which means the case would be investigated again.  This whole thing is just a mess.  I'm thinking it isn't worth losing an additional $80 (minimally) for the sake of a refund that I'm not even guaranteed to get in the first place, and I don't have the time or the patience for a Paypal/internet battle.  I think I might just fix this thing, then either sell it or live with it... :shruggy:

Oh, and I have 3 days to make a decision on this, according to Paypal...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Dino

Myk how much are you in for?  If you don't mind me asking.

TONY

ups stores charge you to package it up and theyre handling fee

can you go right to a ups depot?

or just send it back thru the postal service, insured. you will save alot of $$

go to ups.com and calculate shipping from your zip code to his,
you will need to enter the dimensions and weight,
i believe you can have ups pick it up at your location, or if you prepay for shipping and print a label, you can drop it off at any place that ships ups and leave it with their out going packages (with their permission of course)

myk

Quote from: Dino on December 03, 2013, 04:25:56 PM

$411 with shipping.

Quote from: TONY on December 03, 2013, 04:30:06 PM
ups stores charge you to package it up and theyre handling fee

can you go right to a ups depot?

or just send it back thru the postal service, insured. you will save alot of $$

go to ups.com and calculate shipping from your zip code to his,
you will need to enter the dimensions and weight,
i believe you can have ups pick it up at your location, or if you prepay for shipping and print a label, you can drop it off at any place that ships ups and leave it with their out going packages (with their permission of course)

True, I'm sure the UPS estimate involves a packing/handling fee, but these consoles are so big, clumsy and fragile that outside of a crate and/or a professional packing job I don't want to take on additional risk; I suck at packing things anyway.  BTW USPS' estimate is around $40, and that's just the shipping; packing and materials is still on me, and I can already see this shady seller claiming that the console was damaged by me on its way back...

Dino

Quote from: myk on December 03, 2013, 04:30:35 PM

$411 with shipping...

From what I saw, the console can be fixed, but if you want to keep the original grain it won't be easy.  So now the question is do I invest more to make it right or take a hit and get it out of my hair?  If you were dealing with an honest seller, he would send you a return shipping label.  Obviously ethics are not high on his list so you may be worse off sending it back.  It's a bit of a tough call.  If the money wasn't an issue, what would you WANT to do with the console?

myk

Quote from: Dino on December 03, 2013, 04:33:48 PM

$411 with shipping...

From what I saw, the console can be fixed, but if you want to keep the original grain it won't be easy.  So now the question is do I invest more to make it right or take a hit and get it out of my hair?  If you were dealing with an honest seller, he would send you a return shipping label.  Obviously ethics are not high on his list so you may be worse off sending it back.  It's a bit of a tough call.  If the money wasn't an issue, what would you WANT to do with the console?

Send it back and buy a 'repro ($$$$$$$) or a nice used one ($$$$$$).  But as I've learned, trying to do things on the cheap as I've tried to here can be complicated.  The console is EASILY fixable and already looks great in the car but....I dunno man....

Dino

Quote from: myk on December 03, 2013, 04:44:56 PM

$411 with shipping...

Send it back and buy a 'repro ($$$$$$$) or a nice used one ($$$$$$).  But as I've learned, trying to do things on the cheap as I've tried to here can be complicated.  The console is EASILY fixable and already looks great in the car but....I dunno man....

Sleep on it.

TONY

first of all, a complete console should never be shipped assembled.
the diecast toplates and rear plate should be removed and shipped seperately,

if this helps

we have a few imperfect console bodiess that we havent offered for sale prior,

there is a weird deformity next to the drivers seat, that once the seat is installed wouldnt be too noticeable,

it just isnt perfect so were going to offer them as seconds for $125 for the console body

i was going to advertise them later this week, but i figured it may help as an option

please email if youd like pictures of the flawed area of the console

bill440rt

Quote from: myk on December 03, 2013, 04:44:56 PM

$411 with shipping...

Sounds like it's time to implement Plan B, myk.  :yesnod:
Tony's deal seems a good one. At that price, you might even break even. And, have a new part to boot.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

So much for those Paypal "guarantees" they always tout huh?

myk

Quote from: Ghoste on December 09, 2013, 08:52:30 AM
So much for those Paypal "guarantees" they always tout huh?

EXACTLY.  Now, I've been rather blessed with ebay/paypal and this is the first time I've had an issue, but this console ordeal is quite the reminder and learning experience, proving that any deal can go south at any time and it can end up costing someone just to get out of a bad situation, whether they were in the right or not.  This is common knowledge but it escaped me until now. 

TONY

since the console you bought had a good value to it, wasnt there insurance on the package?

myk

Quote from: TONY on December 09, 2013, 04:38:45 PM
since the console you bought had a good value to it, wasnt there insurance on the package?

The seller didn't have any on it.  Furthermore, I've never bought a "big" item like this (size, cost, value, etc.) that it didn't occur to me to insist on having it.  Then again, I didn't understand just how fragile these consoles are, either; a learning experience I won't forget any time soon.

At this point I'm trying to decide what to do with all of it; I may part it out and buy one of Tony's deals or I may just put put some ketchup on it and try to eat it...