News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird Clone Question

Started by Matthan, November 18, 2013, 09:29:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthan

Can a 1969 Plymouth GTX be used to build a Superbird Clone?

Aero426

Sure, it has been done before.  The rear quarters will be different, of course.   But the rest of the stuff would work. 

Matthan

What would I need to do for the nose to fit?...is there a kit to buy?

Aero426

You need 1970 Coronet fenders and a hood.    The bottom edge is modified to fit the Superbird lower valance panels.    The forward edge of the hood is unique.    I know of a steel hood available for reasonable money, but it isn't what you would call cheap.

There are several suppliers of fiberglass parts, but there is no truly "bolt on" kit for these.   It is a LOT of work to do one right, and as anyone who has gone before you will attest, it isn't cheap.      

On the other hand, there are clone Superbirds that pop up for sale in various stages of completion.   You might think about waiting to buy someone elses project or finished car before starting your own on a 1969 body.  

daytonalo

Yep , plan on using all of you First communion money and then some !!!!!!!! If your going to do at all, buy a Satellite , before you waste your time and money !!!!

Aero426

Quote from: daytonalo on November 18, 2013, 11:36:09 AM
Yep , plan on using all of you First communion money and then some !!!!!!!!

Truth.

daytonalo

The veterans all know  that superbird / Daytona Replica to build as Orig a massive undertaking and that is the reason you very rarely see a finished car that is done like an orig car .
GOOD LUCK GRASSHOPPER !!!!!!!

billssuperbird

I spent a lot of time and money on mine to get it wright. And it was worth it.  :cheers:

Lighthorseman

2 years in and I am still collecting parts...and dreaming of the day I put everything together. 

Keep the faith and be patient - it will eventually all come together.   :2thumbs:

hotrod98

The problem with using a Satellite is that the dash and taillights are wrong and you usually have to weld up a ton of side molding holes. I just sold a rust free 70 Roadrunner, matching numbers 383 along with a set of rust free Coronet fenders and a Coronet hood that had already been modified with the front hood extension. Can't wait to see that project completed. The hard parts are pretty much done.

In my opinion, it is far easier to build a Daytona clone. There is no "Vega back glass" option for altering the back glass on a Superbird. You either have to pop for super expensive parts like the glass, plug, moldings and diamond fillers or leave the back glass as is.

Here's a pic of a clone with the stock back glass. Doesn't look all that bad to me.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Matthan

So i guess it would be better to set a 1970 RR?

billssuperbird

daytonalo

THE GREEN LEAFS ARE A NICE TOUCH !!!!!!! WTF ???????????? Lazy people !!!!!

Ghoste

And probably 90% of the general public will never notice if it has the stock back glass.  For that matter, 90% of the car hobby likely won't notice either.

62 Max

Quote from: Ghoste on November 20, 2013, 11:05:53 AM
And probably 90% of the general public will never notice if it has the stock back glass.  For that matter, 90% of the car hobby likely won't notice either.

And 85% probably don't even know !! ::)

wingcar

Quote from: 62 Max on November 20, 2013, 11:48:13 AM

And 85% probably don't even know !! ::)

And, many will still call it a "SUPERBEE"
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

pettybird

Don't worry.  I'm capable of noticing an extra 170% to make up the difference.

Ghoste

Believe it or not, I'm thankful that you are.

Matthan

I have 69 GTX and was hoping to make a superbird clone

Lighthorseman

Quote from: Matthan on November 22, 2013, 11:42:47 AM

I think that would be really cool.  I'm pretty sure that Stuart posted a shot of a white 68 or 69 as a "Superbird" - looked great.  :2thumbs:

hotrod98

Back before I found a real bird to buy, I put a wing on my 69 Roadrunner. I thought it looked pretty good.  A few people gave me a hard time but I didn't care. I did it for my wife.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

remta1

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Matthan on November 22, 2013, 11:42:47 AM

If you were wanting to use the 69 GTX as the base for a bird build?, I would change out the rear qtrs (AMD) to 70's, along with the trunk lid, rear taillight panel, bumper, do a rear window plug for correctness, glass is available (jump on it now, rather than later, because it won't be there), change the steering column over to a 70, as well as the lower dash to 70 plastic pcs, switch over the rest of the interior pcs needed for a correct 70 look, you have to add the 70 Coronet fenders and hood anyway (steel or fiberglass) then add the desired SuperBird pcs (original or repro)...if your serious about it, there's currently a post asking about SB wing values/sale, I'd jump on that...but in all seriousness, a SBird project is going to start at approx $15K to round up all the components you need, original or repro....and you haven't even started the conversion, body and paint will consume more $$$$$$$$$