News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Superbird MULE car build

Started by remta1, November 23, 2013, 09:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r4daytona

Very nice project.  It does look like you had a really nice car to start. The metal look like it still had all its integrity despite a few hole like you said.  So what made you opt for the darker green? 

Matthan

I am thinking about doing the samething to my 69.

boss429kiwi

Hey

When am I getting an invite to view this cool project  :cheers:

Gary
NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

hotrod98

Just remember to remove the keys from the deck lid when you open it. If the wing is in the same location as on a 70 model, the keys will hit the wing. That's the downside to putting a wing on a 69.  Been there, done that.  ;D

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Ghoste

remta1

Quote from: Ghoste on November 26, 2013, 06:05:21 PM
Is it a hand cruncher too then?

No changed it slightly and put a stopper on the swing axis ...that way I keep all my fingers  LoL

remta1

Quote from: r4daytona on November 26, 2013, 10:33:00 AM
Very nice project.  It does look like you had a really nice car to start. The metal look like it still had all its integrity despite a few hole like you said.  So what made you opt for the darker green? 

Thanks, originally my options were to retain the car as standard and as it progresses I like the green on it even more.
The colour is a late model colour as close to original as I can get .that way if I need to touch up anything it won't be an issue , it actually has a goldy tint to it in the sunlight

remta1

Quote from: boss429kiwi on November 26, 2013, 01:48:30 PM
Hey

When am I getting an invite to view this cool project  :cheers:

Gary

Thanks for the kind words Gary , it's only down the road from you in Mosgiel  it's still in build mode at the moment but you are more than welcome to have a peek :2thumbs:
Cheers
Jase

djcarguy

the side view of Hotrod98 blue rr with wing looks great as yours will. have seen pixs of 3-4  68-69s with yours with wings. but have only seen 1 68 ply b body with a nose.its a white 68 ragtop ,pixs on wing cars in a convertable state . it looks great but pretty sure they used the 70 coronet fenders an hood on it to fit the nose.

there are or were some new nos trunk trim panels,, moparstuart knows the guy an details of sale info?

lots of pixs an ideas on nose mounting an different lite setups on these threads.

Daytona clones from around the world

wing cars in a convertable state

dartona an non factory wing cars

well all the best an will bee following build..latter dj in oregon the dart guy   :popcrn: :drool5: :cheers: :2thumbs:

Bob T

Pretty good looking for an ol Mule Remta  :2thumbs:
Good plan mate, keen to see how it progresses.
I seem to remember you had a thread on the pop up lights actuation somewhere??

You're not alone in wanting to build a Wing Car tribute/clone/mule, I'd love to do one similar to BigBlockSams one with amourlites on it, or one that was not an 8/10 type car. About the time I was car hunting, a mate of mines Father had a 69 RR 4spd 383 for sale for $18k.  It needed work but would've been a good start, some guy had made a few payments on it then dissappeared, it took ages to sort it out with what was happening and some other guy then paid it out. Know where there's a 69 4 speed Bee just racking up storage fees at a depot after a non paid panel job and the guy has lit out too, that would be a good one...

Boss /Gary, I think I have some pics of your car from a few years back when it lived up here, I'll have to have a dig through some old photo albums if you want. Had a fall last night on a boat, bad thumb/hand sprain and have got a bit of time off work to kill...
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

remta1

Quote from: djcarguy on November 27, 2013, 10:33:40 PM
  the side view of Hotrod98 blue rr with wing looks great as yours will. have seen pixs of 3-4  68-69s with yours with wings. but have only seen 1 68 ply b body with a nose.its a white 68 ragtop ,pixs on wing cars in a convertable state . it looks great but pretty sure they used the 70 coronet fenders an hood on it to fit the nose.

there are or were some new nos truck trim panels,, moparstuart knows the guy an details of sale info?

lots of pixs an ideas on nose mounting an different lite setups on these threads.

Daytona clones from around the world

wing cars in a convertable state

dartona an non factory wing cars

well all the best an will bee following build..latter dj in oregon the dart guy   :popcrn: :drool5: :cheers: :2thumbs:
Cheers Dj will add more pics soon about progress

remta1

Quote from: Bob T on November 28, 2013, 12:30:26 AM
Pretty good looking for an ol Mule Remta  :2thumbs:
Good plan mate, keen to see how it progresses.
I seem to remember you had a thread on the pop up lights actuation somewhere??

You're not alone in wanting to build a Wing Car tribute/clone/mule, I'd love to do one similar to BigBlockSams one with amourlites on it, or one that was not an 8/10 type car. About the time I was car hunting, a mate of mines Father had a 69 RR 4spd 383 for sale for $18k.  It needed work but would've been a good start, some guy had made a few payments on it then dissappeared, it took ages to sort it out with what was happening and some other guy then paid it out. Know where there's a 69 4 speed Bee just racking up storage fees at a depot after a non paid panel job and the guy has lit out too, that would be a good one...

Boss /Gary, I think I have some pics of your car from a few years back when it lived up here, I'll have to have a dig through some old photo albums if you want. Had a fall last night on a boat, bad thumb/hand sprain and have got a bit of time off work to kill...

yep that's my next series of photos ..starting on the nose and wing etc  I have tried to authenticate it as they would have back in the day with out getting too carried away ...next thing you know ive got shiny bits coming for it all the time LOL  :smilielol:
hope the hand gets better soon brother , hope you can still hold a beer alright :cheers:

DonC1

Ghoste

Quote from: remta1 on November 28, 2013, 04:31:55 AM
hope the hand gets better soon brother , hope you can still hold a beer alright :cheers:

Thats what straws are for.  :icon_smile_big:
(but I hope it heels quickly too ;))

djcarguy

SORRY  i meant 68-69 TRUNk  ---trim plates not truck,,,,,my bad late nite smelling   spelling    p,lol.

also a thread called ----unusual mopars----  has some interesting cars an customs an paint.

DJ the Dartona wing guy    :popcrn: :popcrn: :drool5: :cheers:

remta1

wing braces , a bit thicker than I probably needed but better be safe than sorry ....

remta1

Now it is at the stage of big decision time , do I plug the window? :brickwall: lots of sleepless nights over this decision .What was the overriding factor is I really love the original shape of the window and it fits in better for me in  continuing the overall mule theme.The window stays.

So time for the nose ....did countless measurements on my mates superbird and comparisons on guard shape.

I had to be careful and bear in mind that if I followed  the contours of the other superbird the nose would not look right on my guards .So I have spent a massive amount of time mocking up , drawing and measuring to get the look as accurate and functional looking as possible .I was really surprised about  the number of variances of shape and angles on the hundreds of different superbird photos that I examined.

The blue tape lines were only for mocking up and were not the actual cut lines. What made it awkward to visualize was the fact that the fiberglass join on the nose was at a totally different angle to the body lines and mounting lines but we eventually got it sorted :

Stevearino

Will you be cutting and altering the nose to fit the fenders or will you be cutting into the fenders?  In my opinion the window plug is not as necessary to the look of this car as it is to the Daytona. A lot of work with only a little visual gain.  In fact there were some pictures floating around with west coast nascar racecars from back in the day where they removed the nose and wing for short track runs and with the plug still in you can hardly tell the difference from a stock 70 Road Runner.

Ghoste

I agree very much on the window plug for the Plymouth versus the Dodge.

Hemi Runner

I think the 70 bird plug window is very different from the RR window shape. It's very noticeable in my opinion. Now, for a 69 mule car, I would probably leave the stock back glass. The bird clones with stock RR rear window glass just looks odd to me. I agree that for the daytona, it's a must.

Ghoste

Noticeable to us for sure but not as noticeable as the Daytona one.

remta1

Quote from: Stevearino on November 30, 2013, 07:58:59 AM
Will you be cutting and altering the nose to fit the fenders or will you be cutting into the fenders?  In my opinion the window plug is not as necessary to the look of this car as it is to the Daytona. A lot of work with only a little visual gain.  In fact there were some pictures floating around with west coast nascar racecars from back in the day where they removed the nose and wing for short track runs and with the plug still in you can hardly tell the difference from a stock 70 Road Runner.

a bit of both , the nose is slightly wider than the 69 guards and the end of the 69 guards sit too flat/square against the nose . ,I will cover this off in later pics ,

glad you all agree on the plug scenario :2thumbs: now for some  :hack: :smash:

boss429kiwi

Hey

What's your cell?
If your available I may cruise around today in the bird and have a look at your project.

Gary

remta1

Quote from: boss429kiwi on November 30, 2013, 03:16:07 PM
Hey

What's your cell?
If your available I may cruise around today in the bird and have a look at your project.

Gary

Mate that would be awesome but im unavailable today heading back out of town next week for  work, I will pm you my number and we can catch up later in the week perhaps  :yesnod: :drool5:

boss429kiwi