News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Superbird MULE car build

Started by remta1, November 23, 2013, 09:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAY CLONA

glad you all agree on the plug scenario :2thumbs: now for some  :hack: :smash:

Well...personally I think the size/shape of the stock B bodie glass is rather large to keep on a Superbird clone, I know the cost and expense of a Superbird plug, original or repro is sometimes cost prohibitive, but here's an alternative, a readily available 1970-4 Plymouth Cuda rear window grafted into a 68 B body "Superbird", maybe something to consider?

Mike

Ghoste

Thats an interesting alternative that doesn't appear too badly.

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: Ghoste on November 30, 2013, 08:28:45 PM

Have to agree......

Now I wonder how it would look with a black vinyl top :scratchchin:

Bob T

Quote from: dyslexic teddybear on November 30, 2013, 09:40:01 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on November 30, 2013, 08:28:45 PM

Have to agree......

Now I wonder how it would look with a black vinyl top :scratchchin:

Hmm, interesting. Were'nt the R/T SE Challengers fitted with a smaller plug and window under the v top? Or would that size just be too proportionally out of whack with the Bird/ RR gig?
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Ghoste

The SE Challenger did indeed have a rear window plug for a smaller backlight, whether it would look good or not I can't say.

nascarxx29

My friend got a SE Challenger SE plug is white plastic and screwed into the original opening
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Ghoste on December 01, 2013, 12:28:14 AM
The SE Challenger did indeed have a rear window plug for a smaller backlight, whether it would look good or notr I can't say.

The SE Challenger window is ridiculously small, be fine if he was building a Superbird limo :icon_smile_big:

Bob T

Quote from: DAY CLONA on December 01, 2013, 12:09:38 PM

The SE Challenger window is ridiculously small, be fine if he was building a Superbird limo :icon_smile_big:

Or a top chop Town car  :lol:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Indygenerallee

Anyone else notice the Charger flip top gas cap on that car!?? Guess he really wanted a Daytona instead!??  :lol:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Daytona R/T SE

My Imperial has a fiberglass plug and a smaller rear glass shoved into the original window opening.

I wonder if that would work by cutting down the fiberglass and bonding it to the satellite rear window opening, then covering the patchwork with a vinyl top? :scratchchin:

There's a lot more Imperials getting cut up for the demo derbies than 'Cudas. :Twocents:

There's one on ebay right now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-CHRYSLER-IMPERIAL-REAR-GLASS-ASSEMBLY-TRIM-FILLER-PANEL-TINT-4-DOOR-1973-/360726928197?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53fd001b45&vxp=mtr

odcics2

Quote from: Indygenerallee on December 01, 2013, 02:01:51 PM
Anyone else notice the Charger flip top gas cap on that car!?? Guess he really wanted a Daytona instead!??  :lol:

Guess he couldn't find a real one so he built what he could...  Wonder if it has a cone up front??   :shruggy:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on December 01, 2013, 04:58:10 PM
My Imperial has a fiberglass plug and a smaller rear glass shoved into the original window opening.

I wonder if that would work by cutting down the fiberglass and bonding it to the satellite rear window opening, then covering the patchwork with a vinyl top? :scratchchin:

There's a lot more Imperials getting cut up for the demo derbies than 'Cudas. :Twocents:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-CHRYSLER-IMPERIAL-REAR-GLASS-ASSEMBLY-TRIM-FILLER-PANEL-TINT-4-DOOR-1973-/360726928197?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53fd001b45&vxp=mtr

Got dimensions?....Imperials are about the size of an aircraft carrier :icon_smile_big:

Indygenerallee

Looks like that glass is the size of those Challenger or Cuda doors laying on the ground beside it... looks huge..
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

djcarguy

Quote from: odcics2 on December 01, 2013, 05:03:44 PM
Quote from: Indygenerallee on December 01, 2013, 02:01:51 PM

Guess he couldn't find a real one so he built what he could...  Wonder if it has a cone up front??   :shruggy:
ITS A DAYCLONA a 69 coronet with wing ,nose ,flip gas cap and says dayclona on the sides..DAYCLONA  :popcrn: :2thumbs: :cheers:WITH NOSE :cheers: :2thumbs:

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: DAY CLONA on December 01, 2013, 07:38:20 PM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on December 01, 2013, 04:58:10 PM

Got dimensions?....Imperials are about the size of an aircraft carrier :icon_smile_big:

I just went out to the garage and attempted to measure the back glass of the Imperial.

But...

The Imperial is currently wedged between the wall on one side, and my 2500 Ram on the other side, so these measurements were taken leaning forward over the trunklid, measuring through the car cover, so don't take them as gospel:

At the tallest point the glass and trim is 21" high

At the widest point the glass and trim is 54" wide.

The fiberglass plug is another 5 or 6 inches wide all the way around the glass, but I ain't tearin' off my vinyl top to measure the plug exactly.

This is a four door hardtop, the two door plug and back glass is completely different. :Twocents:

djcarguy

Quote from: remta1 on November 30, 2013, 02:07:05 AM
Now  .The window stays.

So time for the nose ....did countless measurements on my mates superbird and comparisons on guard shape.

I had to be careful and bear in mind that if I followed  the contours of the other superbird the nose would not look right on my guards .So I have spent a massive amount of time mocking up , drawing and measuring to get the look as accurate and functional looking as possible .I was really surprised about  the number of variances of shape and angles on the hundreds of different superbird photos that I examined.

The blue tape lines were only for mocking up and were not the actual cut lines. What made it awkward to visualize was the fact that the fiberglass join on the nose was at a totally different angle to the body lines and mounting lines but we eventually got it sorted :      :shruggy: :shruggy: :icon_smile_question: :popcrn: :popcrn: :cheers:
  well whats next dont leaves hangin,please,DJ :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

djcarguy

Hope the window post didnt derail or tick you off? some of us are waiting an watching , i know I want too see more on the nose an mounting it.   a friend of mine years back his 68 Satilite got hit in the front an we talked alot of what it wood take to graft a bird nose on but his wife was not sold on the idea, an cost 20 yrs ago few parts makers.

we figured he needed bumper &brackets an grill very lite damage to his hood an fenders were fine.  so we could cut front of hood or hinge bolt pin it in front to fenders an have it open from the back an lock down with hood pins or those key lock hood pin setups.that way the front of hood curve over or down did not have too open up an wood mate up to nose cone better. then modify the nose so it slipped over a few inches of the fenders to mate up an cover any spots were the bumper use to fit.  he fixed it stock an has sold it now..

well looking forward to more on your MULE bird build... heard of mule deer but not mule bird,haha.DJ :popcrn:

remta1

Quote from: djcarguy on December 03, 2013, 07:47:48 AM
  Hope the window post didnt derail or tick you off? some of us are waiting an watching , i know I want too see more on the nose an mounting it.   a friend of mine years back his 68 Satilite got hit in the front an we talked alot of what it wood take to graft a bird nose on but his wife was not sold on the idea, an cost 20 yrs ago few parts makers.

we figured he needed bumper &brackets an grill very lite damage to his hood an fenders were fine.  so we could cut front of hood or hinge bolt pin it in front to fenders an have it open from the back an lock down with hood pins or those key lock hood pin setups.that way the front of hood curve over or down did not have too open up an wood mate up to nose cone better. then modify the nose so it slipped over a few inches of the fenders to mate up an cover any spots were the bumper use to fit.  he fixed it stock an has sold it now..

well looking forward to more on your MULE bird build... heard of mule deer but not mule bird,haha.DJ :popcrn:
no, all good DJ, I am out of town with work  at the moment so have been unable to post more pics ,will have more up soon .Nice to see people interested in my build and all the helpful comments and ideas  :2thumbs:

odcics2

If you are going to do it right, just copy the photos of the mockup.

Modified Daytona nose, use lots of clay. One upright is from a Daytona, you need that or its not even close to being a mock up.
Make the rear window as close as you can to the vintage photos.   Match the grey and primer colors too.

That car would be in magazines!    :2thumbs: :2thumbs:   

p.s. I think I know where I can find an old wall phone for you...   :cheers:    That would look cool when you display the car!
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

hotrod98

Quote from: odcics2 on December 04, 2013, 05:35:08 AM
If you are going to do it right, just copy the photos of the mockup.

Modified Daytona nose, use lots of clay. One upright is from a Daytona, you need that or its not even close to being a mock up.
Make the rear window as close as you can to the vintage photos.   Match the grey and primer colors too.

That car would be in magazines!    :2thumbs: :2thumbs:   

p.s. I think I know where I can find an old wall phone for you...   :cheers:    That would look cool when you display the car!

I agree. Do it right or don't bother doing it at all.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

remta1

Guards chopped  :'(the laws are very strict in new Zealand for making a car road legal it is called compliance.At this stage to get compliance I have to keep the headlight pods and inner frame as it is ,as removing them would be considered non compliant.

I was pondering how I was going to make up the Z -braces or something similar and also keep the weight down

remta1

,thought I would try a different approach to get the body lines from the front of the guard to match up cleaner with the nose .Also it would give me easier assembly and disassembly options...

remta1

the holes are threaded so that the bolts can be adjusted differently to follow the contours and bodylines better

remta1

,the inside of the nose was modified with plates that bolt up to the "solid formed " guards  :2thumbs: