News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear Window Louvers 3rd Gen Charger

Started by 1971SE440, September 15, 2006, 08:27:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1971SE440

I know the repoduction louvers are around $1500 so I just purchased these from a nice guy on ebay for $350. He makes them out of his home for many different makes and models. I have yet to install. I just layed it over the back window to see how they look. What do you guys think?

moparguy01

Looks like you mad the cops mad!

I honestly think it looks pretty good, if my car wasnt a SE I'd buy a set for it.

hotrod98

I think they look great and 99.9% of the people out there would have no clue that they're not like the originals. The key is how do they attach? I wouldn't want a $350 set of louvers flying off and hitting a $75,000 Mercedes. ;D

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Charged

Is this the same guy/co. that advertises these things in the back of mags like "Mopar Action"? Whats the difference between these and the origianls? 

Ghoste

They look good from here.  I'll repeat the question, how do they differ from originals?

1971SE440

The original and reporduction's I have seen are made from some kind of plastic material. The one I purchased off of ebay are metal. The photo is an original rear window louver for the 3rd gen Charger's.

chgr500

Not much chance of these louvers flying off as long as your window molding are properly attached.  Took a little grinding to get a somewhat decent fit.  Still worth the money.  I paid $350 with free shipping.

1971SE440

Charger500...

I just finished grinding today to get a better fit. What did you use to attach mounting hardware. I was going to RTV sealer.

chgr500

Ya I used RTV on those bottom plates.  These louvers haven't moved since I installed them mid summer.  No noise or rattles either.  My buddies OEM louvers on his Cuda rattle and make all sorts of annoying noises.  I am not impressed with the fit on the top molding line at the corners,  but still not complaining for the price.

twilt

Just curious....How are the repro louvers secured? Do they have some kind of brackets that slide underneath the rear window trim?  I bought a set on ebay a couple days ago, should have them later next week.

chgr500

The louvers fit with a hinged flange on the top that slides under the window trim.  I had to cut both ends of mine off a little. The bottom attaches with brackets that bolt onto the bottom of the rails and fit under the lower window trim. Solid aluminium and well constructed,  but took a little grinding mostly on the top corners to lower the louver closer to the body for my liking.  Nice guy to work with too for any questions.

1971SE440

chgr500...

Did you use RTV sealer for the top bracket or just the lower ones?

71 RT

Honestly, I think they look good.  I really don't know anything about the originals, I have never seen an original set in perons, but I knowm they are rare.  I think that you did great, expecially for the price! 

chgr500

I only used the RTV on the bottom plates.  Again they are securely fastened and I have no fear of them flying off.  They hold well at 100mph LOL.  I seen a cracked used set that need work sell on eBay yesterday for the sellers reserve price of $2000
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=019&item=290029518621&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Mr_fixit

The original louvres are made of fiberglasss.

hotrod98

The originals were a type of injected plastic material. The repros from Dayclona are fiberglass. Gean Gregory is reproducing them exactly like the originals. $1500

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

71charger_fan

"The louvers fit with a hinged flange on the top that slides under the window trim.  "

That's how the louvers installed on the L-Body Chargers/Turismos. In 20 years, I never had a problem with the louvers on my Shelby Charger. The only thing I didn't like was that, over time, they ground the glass where the plastic covered pieces rode on the window.

twilt

For anyone who has bought these louvers on ebay..... how long did it take for you to get them??  I paid for mine 5-6 weeks ago and still no louvers. Apparently the seller makes them AFTER you buy. Seems like a dumb arse way of doing business to me.

41husk

they look good ,if the fit is good thats a great price.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

chgr500

Quote from: NO LONGER A REGISTERED USER on October 25, 2006, 07:09:31 AM
For anyone who has bought these louvers on ebay..... how long did it take for you to get them?? I paid for mine 5-6 weeks ago and still no louvers. Apparently the seller makes them AFTER you buy. Seems like a dumb arse way of doing business to me.
The seller did the same thing for me when I purchased my louvers.  Took about 6 weeks for arrival shipped to Canada.  If you phone or email the fellow he is very responsive to calls.  I believe he farms this work out to another company to build the louvers for him and he's the middle man.

Gary42

Quick question: Do you have the link to this guys site/e-bay item, as I would really like to purchase a set for my 72 Rallye. I really think that they would look good on this car.
Thanks
Gary
1972 Dodge Charger, Rally edition
2010 Dodge Challenger, Rally package
"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest."

- Mark Twain

twilt

Quote from: Gary42 on October 26, 2006, 10:00:49 PM
Quick question: Do you have the link to this guys site/e-bay item, as I would really like to purchase a set for my 72 Rallye. I really think that they would look good on this car.
Thanks
Gary
Gary, here is a link to the ebay auction that i "won". 
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=120032353765&rd=1&rd=1

moparmusclecars

Does anyone know where to get these charger louvers (the cheaper ones)????

Bob

Quote from: moparmusclecars on November 28, 2013, 07:01:17 PM
Does anyone know where to get these charger louvers (the cheaper ones)????

I think they quit making them a few years ago. I do believe I got the last one. A friend of mine bought it, did not care for it and gave it to me.