News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Decision time...383 vs 440

Started by Dreamcar, December 07, 2013, 08:42:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreamcar

I have a 440 block lined up to purchase if I want it for about $400. I already have a 383 in my garage that is dismantled and ready for a rebuild. I'm looking to get about 375-400 hp at the crank. The goal is a nice weekend cruiser with decent "pep". Is the 400 bucks to get the 440 block worth it given my goals or do I just stick with the 383 and have the builder upgrade it a little.

The 383 I have is not the original block so numbers matching is not an issue.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

Dino

I had a 383 4bbl in my 68.  Very nice engine with plenty pep to have a good time.  I now have a 69 with a 440 and there is no such thing as looking back.  I usually don't quote cheesy sayings but in this case you have given me no choice son!  So go big or go home!  When size matters bigger is better!  There is no replacement for displacement!

You getting the picture?   :lol:

A 383 and a 440, both well tuned, will guzzle about the same amount of car booze.  To make them go fast, they will require about the same amount of investment. 

As fun as that 383 was, there is no comparison to a well built 440.  It's the torque that gets you and keeps you in its grasp.  When I turn my car on, it returns the favor.  The growl, the aggression and the ass breaking away when you mash the go pedal is absolutely priceless.  Watching peoples faces when I do this, hell I'd pay good money for!

Get yourself a good 440 core and build away.   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

XH29N0G

The difference in torque will be what you will notice.  If $400 is not a lot in the scheme of your plans, then I would go with the 440.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Dreamcar

That's what I was thinking, but having never driven one, input is greatly appreciated. Thanks
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

c00nhunterjoe

I'm a 383 fan. I like being the oddball out and doing what "can't" be done. Either engine will be a lot of fun on the street. 400 flywheel hp is no problem in either choice.

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Cooter

440. Hands down. No need to look any further.  Yee who begins with the most, always ends with the most.
383 stroker..440 stroker. 383 turbo. 440 turbo. 383 with a300 shot. 440 with a 300 shot.
Get the idea?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Plum Crazy 68

Quote from: Dino on December 07, 2013, 08:56:00 AM
I had a 383 4bbl in my 68.  Very nice engine with plenty pep to have a good time.  I now have a 69 with a 440 and there is no such thing as looking back.  I usually don't quote cheesy sayings but in this case you have given me no choice son!  So go big or go home!  When size matters bigger is better!  There is no replacement for displacement!

A 383 and a 440, both well tuned, will guzzle about the same amount of car booze.  To make them go fast, they will require about the same amount of investment. 

As fun as that 383 was, there is no comparison to a well built 440.  It's the torque that gets you and keeps you in its grasp.  When I turn my car on, it returns the favor.  The growl, the aggression and the ass breaking away when you mash the go pedal is absolutely priceless.  Watching peoples faces when I do this, hell I'd pay good money for!

I suddenly feel very inadequate :-\

Sublime/Sixpack

For a "nice weekend cruiser with decent pep (your own words), I say be different and build the 383.
I've always been a big fan of the 440, I still am, but if I were in your situation I'd take that $400.00 for the 440 and put it towards the 383's build. The 383 is very good engine. And if built right, and running the right rear end gears you'll have a strong cruiser.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Dino

Quote from: Plum Crazy 68 on December 07, 2013, 11:33:16 AM
Quote from: Dino on December 07, 2013, 08:56:00 AM

I suddenly feel very inadequate :-\

Oh no, don't.  There's nothing wrong with a 383.  If my car had a factory 383 I would not change it, no doubt about that.  I do feel however that when given the choice to start with either, I would be real hard pressed to pass up that torque.  It's just my opinion, not the law.   :icon_smile_big:

Dreamcar

But would 400 bucks on the 383 make up the difference vs stock 440 rebuild? And if I have run shorter gears I'd be running higher rpms all the time, right?

DAY CLONA

Dreamcar

This great input. Thank you all!

Dino

Quote from: Dreamcar on December 07, 2013, 11:54:08 AM
But would 400 bucks on the 383 make up the difference vs stock 440 rebuild? And if I have run shorter gears I'd be running higher rpms all the time, right?

$400 will get you some nice toys but not worth the difference in output imo.  Yes you would be running higher rpm.  I stuck 2.96 gears in mine because I drive it a lot and I can still make the tires squeal when I want.  With either engine you can have a lot of fun, I just believe there's more fun in that 440.

Sublime/Sixpack

Quote from: Dreamcar on December 07, 2013, 11:54:08 AM

My input was based on your original post, (a nice weekend cruiser with decent pep). The 383 will deliver that.
If you want the most power and torque you can get for a similar build, go with the 440.
As I said earlier, I'm a big fan of the 440, but to be honest with you when I'm at a car show and I see a car with a 383 in it, I find it refreshing to see something other than a 440 between the fenders.
If you do go with the 383 and you happen to pull the plug on someone running a 440 you'll have a hard time wiping the smile off your face. :yesnod:

Good luck with whichever one you choose.

1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Dreamcar

Having never actually driven a charger as I bough mine in need of resto, I don't how a big car like that feels with either engine. I just don't want to be disappointed with a sluggish feel once the car is done. If I can find the right combination of hp, torque, and gearing, all while being able to cruise to any show without screaming rpms, I'll be happy. After reading all these responses, I think a 440 would be the best first step to get the right combination. The more planning, the better.

twodko

In the few years I've enjoyed this forum restoring my car several people standout as "go to" guys regarding mill builds.

Cooterman, FireFighterSteve, 68x426, Dino et al. I'm sure they will chime in. Whatever you do.....

We want pictures!
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

billschroeder5842

I've had several of both. Here is my two cents....

The 383 will have plenty of power and have great street manners. The 440 will rock your world but give you a bit more fuss as a daily.

Your call. The older I get (I'm 51) I want a bit of a kick but want dependability and smoothness.

I vote 383.
Texas Proud!

Dreamcar

Quote from: twodko on December 07, 2013, 12:48:30 PM
In the few years I've enjoyed this forum restoring my car several people standout as "go to" guys regarding mill builds.

Cooterman, FireFighterSteve, 68x426, Dino et al. I'm sure they will chime in. Whatever you do.....

We want pictures!

This is all there is to see now since the snow started flying. Oh well, until spring, I'm in parts collecting mode...like buying engine blocks :icon_smile_big:

myk

Unless the 440 has a radical build it will behave, as Charger sales literature said back in the day, "docile enough" around town.  Mine is all stock so maybe I've just gotten used to it, but like I told a co-worker who was trying to decide on her boob implants: "if I was going to spend all that money and put myself under the knife, I'd rather come out of it thinking I had too much, than not enough..."  

440/DD cup for the win...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Brass

For what you're looking for, I think a high compression 440 with 3.23 gears would be spot on.  Also, it would probably be more attractive to most buyers too *IF* you ever think of selling in the future.  Yes - 440's are common but there is a reason for that.  They're a good platform to build on, with a good rod ratio and nice torque numbers right out of the box.  383's are good too, especially for cruising - but may require more planning/effort to reach greater output levels. At least that's my sense of it.

twodko

Quote from: myk on December 07, 2013, 01:46:45 PM
Unless the 440 has a radical build it will behave, as Charger sales literature said back in the day, "docile enough" around town.  Mine is all stock so maybe I've just gotten used to it, but like I told a co-worker who was trying to decide on her boob implants: "if I was going to spend all that money and put myself under the knife, I'd rather come out of it thinking I had too much, than not enough..."  

440/DD cup for the win...

Now that's funny right there! Myk we need pictures dude!  :lol:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

XH29N0G

Quote from: Dreamcar on December 07, 2013, 12:34:23 PM
Having never actually driven a charger as I bough mine in need of resto, I don't how a big car like that feels with either engine. I just don't want to be disappointed with a sluggish feel once the car is done. If I can find the right combination of hp, torque, and gearing, all while being able to cruise to any show without screaming rpms, I'll be happy. After reading all these responses, I think a 440 would be the best first step to get the right combination. The more planning, the better.

Neither will feel sluggish.  The 383 in my car with the original 3 speed manual and original tires was a lot of fun to grow up with.  The torque is still different on the 440 - although I haven't driven one.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

cdr

ok lets look at cost

440 engine,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,400.00                       383 block,,,,,,,,,,free
resize rods & arp bolts about 250.00                         stroker kit,,,,,,,2000.00
grind crank,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,125.00                           for a 496 cid                        :shruggy:
balance assy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,250.00
pistons,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,500.00
rings,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,135.00
bearings,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,175.00
that works out to 1835.00 not counting block work
for a 440 cid.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

JB400

I favor the 383.  Why?   You have it.  If you buy the 440, you're out $400 from your pocket.  Plus, you'd still be tripping over the 383 till you do something with it.  You're asking for 400 hp.  An aftermarket intake, 4bbl carb, headers, and a cam change will give you the 400 ponies and still keep it streetable.  A port match on the heads and intake wouldn't hurt anything either and can be done at home.