News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My home made steel rear window plug-NEW UPDATE 8/8/06 WITH MORE PICTURES !

Started by Daytona R/T SE, March 05, 2006, 10:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howie

So now what is the fate of the fiberglass plug? In quiring minds want to know.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Howie on June 02, 2006, 02:04:33 PM
So now what is the fate of the fiberglass plug? In quiring minds want to know.

I'm just going to hang onto it, I've got another project in mind for later on...the fiberglass plug just might come in handy.... :scratchchin:

Daytona R/T SE

Just thought I'd add a few more recent pics:

In the first pic on the left is the Fiberglass plug "Made In Texas" that I used as a pattern to make my own plug, On the right is my finished home made steel plug "Made in Illinois"

The second pic shows the plug tack welded in place with the reproduction glass from Iowa Glass being test fitted.

The third pic shows the plug FINALLY welded in place on the car.

The last pic shows the car as of yesterday with the wing and trunklid installed...

Daytona R/T SE

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hotrod98

Your car's coming together nice. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Now that I have my hemi chal convert finished, I'm going to convert bigblocksam's and Howie's trunk lids and start installing Howie's vega plug. Then maybe I can get started on one of my wing car projects.
I just wish that my daytona clone was as far along as yours.  ;D

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Daytona R/T SE

Yeah, it's coming along, but I wish I  could get it done quicker! The goal is to get it all ready to go to my Buddy Ronnie's shop for the final body work and paint sometime this fall...I've still got a L-O-N-G way to go before it's ready for that....But  I'M WORKING ON IT!!!   :yesnod:

BigBlockSam

QuoteBut  I'M WORKING ON IT!!!     

you certainly are.it's getting there.  :yesnod:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

Mikesmopars01

NYCMille

I know nothing about metal work, welding and or fabrication, but I must say that they quality of the work you've done looks spot - congrats, it's actually very inspiring.

Charger_Fan

:iagree: Very cool! :thumbs:
I also like the naked Charger look, something about a bare steel car that just looks too cool. :yesnod:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Daytona Guy

THE CHARGER PUNK

personally i think that flush back window looks way better then the tunneled one usually on the 68-70 chargers-MATT

PocketThunder

:o  HOLY SMOKES!!  i'm gonna increase my 401k contribution to 20% next year so i can retire 10 years earlier and finally get to doing my dream job which is exactly what you are doing....
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: PocketThunder on August 18, 2006, 10:27:58 AM
:o  HOLY SMOKES!!  i'm gonna increase my 401k contribution to 20% next year so i can retire 10 years earlier and finally get to doing my dream job which is exactly what you are doing....

C'mon down Pocket! I'll teach you everything I know!  ;)

daytonalo

Quick Question, when the decklid is closed , I made my own lower jamb area and need to know the distance between the area where the weatherstrip sits and the decklid cap when the decklid is closed. It seems that my gap is excessive , probably because of the compound curve . If you could look through the tail light opening and let me know , it would be greatly appreciated ,Thank you ,Larry

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: daytonalo on August 19, 2006, 10:00:58 AM
Quick Question, when the decklid is closed , I made my own lower jamb area and need to know the distance between the area where the weatherstrip sits and the decklid cap when the decklid is closed. It seems that my gap is excessive , probably because of the compound curve . If you could look through the tail light opening and let me know , it would be greatly appreciated ,Thank you ,Larry

Larry, I just went out and checked the clearance. For lack of a better way to measure, I rolled up several balls of modeling clay, positioned them along the rail where the gasket should be and then closed and latched the trunklid. The thinnest piece of clay after the closing was 1/4 of an inch and the thickest was 5/16 of an inch-so my clearance is 1/4"- 5/16"   I don't know if that's right, but that's the way mine turned out...might have to do this test on one of my "regular" chargers...

BigBlockSam

QuoteLarry, I just went out and checked the clearance. For lack of a better way to measure, I rolled up several balls of modeling clay, positioned them along the rail where the gasket should be and then closed and latched the trunklid. The thinnest piece of clay after the closing was 1/4 of an inch and the thickest was 5/16 of an inch-so my clearance is 1/4"- 5/16"   I don't know if that's right, but that's the way mine turned out...might have to do this test on one of my "regular" chargers...

outstanding my friend, that's how to help a charger bud.   

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: BigBlockSam on August 19, 2006, 11:31:49 PM
QuoteLarry, I just went out and checked the clearance. For lack of a better way to measure, I rolled up several balls of modeling clay, positioned them along the rail where the gasket should be and then closed and latched the trunklid. The thinnest piece of clay after the closing was 1/4 of an inch and the thickest was 5/16 of an inch-so my clearance is 1/4"- 5/16"   I don't know if that's right, but that's the way mine turned out...might have to do this test on one of my "regular" chargers...

outstanding my friend, that's how to help a charger bud.   

Glad to help  :thumbs:

daytonalo

Thank you , my gap is a little on the fat side , I will have to tweet it a little . Outstanding craftmenship ! One question , what are you going to use for moulding's ? Stock charger , and tig in an extra section ? Forgive me if this has been covered previously .
                                                                                                                             Larry

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: daytonalo on August 21, 2006, 10:10:56 AM
Thank you , my gap is a little on the fat side , I will have to tweet it a little . Outstanding craftmenship ! One question , what are you going to use for moulding's ? Stock charger , and tig in an extra section ? Forgive me if this has been covered previously .
                                                                                                                             Larry

Yep, I'm going to piece together some trim from stock Charger trim. Just haven't gotten that far yet....

THE CHARGER PUNK

what colour is your daytona r/t se clone gonna be? b5 like your pic?-MATT

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: B5 BLUE CHARGER PUNK on August 24, 2006, 03:43:42 PM
what colour is your daytona r/t se clone gonna be? b5 like your pic?-MATT

The picture in my posts is the planned color scheme.  'Cept my car will have the white interior and retain all of it's R/T SE stuff, hence the username "Daytona R/T SE" ;D

hotrod98

I'm glad that I'm not the only one using a real R/T SE car to build a Daytona clone. My car's a triple black car and I would like to keep it black/black but it gets so stinking hot here in the south. You can fry eggs on the hood of a black car down here in July and August. My second choice is red with a white wing. I like the blue that you've chosen. I'm assuming it's B5 blue.  You don't see many blue daytonas.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams