News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 petty/corporate blue

Started by rickroadrunner, December 12, 2013, 02:03:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickroadrunner

Is 70 999 corporate blue EXACTLY the same as 72-73 B3 blue? Has anybody actually compared the two?

rickroadrunner

Sorry guys, not a direct wing car question but I'm about to paint the Superbird and put this question under paint and restoration for 3 days with no response, so thought it better to put in Aero as I'm sure there may be some who could answer my question.

odcics2

I can answer your question accurately, later today, if you can wait a little longer...

I'll post a few pics, too.   
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

moparstuart

i dont think they are the same   :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :shruggy:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

pettybird

Quote from: rickroadrunner on December 12, 2013, 02:03:45 AM
Is 70 999 corporate blue EXACTLY the same as 72-73 B3 blue? Has anybody actually compared the two?

Hi Rick--

No they're not.  If you look at the old color charts they're a different formula number.  The problem is that the old formulas don't directly translate to the new paint bases and tints...is there anywhere on the car you can have someone do a custom scan and mix of the color that's on your car?  It really would be best to match what's on the car. 

41husk

Hate to high jack but does some one know the formula for FM3 ?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

nascarxx29

Quote from: 41husk on December 12, 2013, 01:00:56 PM
Hate to high jack but does some one know the formula for FM3 ?
Maybe this site has formula info on FM3
http://www.pantherpink.com/paint.htm
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

odcics2

Maybe this helps - maybe it adds confusion:

There was a part of the #88 Engineering Daytona that was untouched and never saw any daylight since 1969.
The car was B5 outside and painted "Corporate Blue", as they called it, prior to the first Talladega race. To me, I'd call it
Petty Blue, since on the aerowarrior site there is a short film showing the car qualifying and it's next to Petty's Ford.
The cars look exactly the same, no question. You can see for yourself!

Anyway, behind the master cylinder I found the color you see below.  I happened to have a touch up can of Chrysler Parts paint,
part number 3621504, coded "72-73 TB3"  and named Super Blue.

It is a perfect match for what was on the firewall.    Like I said - this may enlighten or confuse. I'm just stating what I found and the color was laid down in August, 1969.   I'll match the color of the Chrysler Paint can cap when I paint it.

pettybird

Interesting that your color matches...I find B3 to be "brighter" than Corporation Blue.

Does anyone have access to the old PPG formulas?  Corporation Blue is listed as formula #12785 while 1972 B3 is 2423.  Both are on the '72 PPG chart:

http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.aspx?image=1972-Plymouth-pg01.jpg

That number for Corp. Blue shows back into the mid 60's, which WOULD make sense as TB3 (since the "T" would denote 1963) but I can't reconcile the two different formula numbers.  IF that was the case with the "T," it would make sense that the formula for black would also be unchanged, but it did in 1965/1966.

I have a call in to Jim at TCP Global and I'm hoping to hear from him tomorrow. 

Aero426

Need to look at the tints of the old formulas to determine the difference.

rickroadrunner

Thanks for your input, I did a color match against a Glasurit color before the car was stripped and had it made up. When the paint company returned the paint they did not return the color sample. I have the paint but will not apply until I am 100% certain it is correct. I am chasing up the original sample to double check.
Meanwhile my painter made up some B3 Basin Street/Super Blue which many people seemed to say it was the same. We found the B3 was lighter, so hence the question as I did not know if the paint supply company made an error in the formulation of the paint.
We also made up some Corporate/Fleet blue today which is different again!
Pettybird, I may have to post you a color sample to check against your car before painting! may do this anyway as a triple check. Thanks.

Aero426

Good plan to send Petty Bird a spray out sample using your paint.

pettybird

Quote from: Aero426 on December 13, 2013, 10:03:34 AM
Good plan to send Petty Bird a spray out sample using your paint.

Yep--actually sending me the different spray outs so I can compare to the bottom of my decklid would get you the closest.  I know it's airmail and all but it would be the surest way to match.

DoubleDlover

I still many of my original petty parts with color still left on them. Doors, fenders, I even think door hinges maybe, Its kinda a flat blue.

JB400

Has anyone just sent Petty Garage a request for the paint code?  I'm sure they'd be willing to help out when it involves a Superbird. 

pettybird

Quote from: Aero426 on December 12, 2013, 07:51:22 PM
Need to look at the tints of the old formulas to determine the difference.

Didn't get a call back but I should have access to the PPG online tint formula page by Tuesday.

Aero426

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on December 14, 2013, 05:17:43 AM
Has anyone just sent Petty Garage a request for the paint code?  I'm sure they'd be willing to help out when it involves a Superbird. 

Corporation Blue isn't really Petty Blue.    It is just commonly called that because it is similar. 

If you want to stir up a lively discussion, ask model builders exactly what the correct shade of Petty Blue is.     There are different variations over time.

DoubleDlover

wow. well im so glad I have parts with the original color still on them now. Getting a color match to THAT shade should be the ticket for me.

odcics2

Quote from: DoubleDlover on December 15, 2013, 03:10:11 AM
wow. well im so glad I have parts with the original color still on them now. Getting a color match to THAT shade should be the ticket for me.

Exactly what I'm doing....     :2thumbs:

I can just say it's painted the same color it was originally!   Can't get better than that...

Ghoste

Is the Chrysler Petty Blue the same as the blue Petty used on the racecars?

68X426

Quote from: Ghoste on December 15, 2013, 10:02:36 AM
Is the Chrysler Petty Blue the same as the blue Petty used on the racecars?

Yes. Richard "leased" the paint to Chrysler and collected a royalty payment on it.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Ghoste

Really?  Never heard that one before.  So another question, did Petty Blue remain the same on the racecars throughout the years or did that change?

68X426

Quote from: Ghoste on December 15, 2013, 02:38:52 PM
Really?  Never heard that one before.  Somanother question, did Petty Blue remain the same on the racecars throughout the years or did that change?

Read it in an interview with Richard. He collected checks in every possible way from Chrysler.

Same color thru the years - it's in another interview with Richard on espn.com that he used the same blue all years, only change was after 1972 when STP Red was added to the scheme.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

v21hemicharger

If you're looking for Petty Blue  look at corporate/fleet colors and look for Petty enterprises or Racing.  That's what I did for my Clone