News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Challenger with HellCat engine faster than the Daytona?

Started by wingcar, December 16, 2013, 12:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indygenerallee

:lol: Im not sure I will ever make it to 200 mph in my Daytona clone so I don't have to worry about it personally!!  :icon_smile_big:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Stevearino

Hot Rod recently did a comparison of the Camaro, Mustang and SRT Challenger all advertised at 175 top speed. The results on the Mojave Mile were Mustang at 187,Camaro at 178, Challenger at 174. Interestingly the Challenger did that at a sticker price about $20,000.00 less than the other two. The body would not be a significant  drawback as the Nationwide cars had a similar frontal area and unrestricted would easily approach 230 mph. That is of course with a large rear deck spoiler , a much lower stance and a front splitter. I think if you put the proper tires on the SRT , lowered it and gave it even as small rear spoiler and front splitter for stability 200 would not be out of the question  on the 2 1/2 mile oval.

http://www.hotrod.com/feature_stories/1402_2014_chevy_camaro_zl1_vs_2013_dodge_challenger_srt8_vs_2014_ford_mustang_gt500/mojave_mile.html

daytonalo

JB400

Quote from: daytonalo on December 17, 2013, 11:44:23 PM
WTF is a Hellcat engine ???? WWII fighter engine ?
It is a supercharged 6.2 liter hemi engine that is supposed to be in the next SRT to rival the Shelby and the ZL1 Camaro.

odcics2

Quote from: Stevearino on December 17, 2013, 06:47:56 PM
Hot Rod recently did a comparison of the Camaro, Mustang and SRT Challenger all advertised at 175 top speed. The results on the Mojave Mile were Mustang at 187,Camaro at 178, Challenger at 174. Interestingly the Challenger did that at a sticker price about $20,000.00 less than the other two. The body would not be a significant  drawback as the Nationwide cars had a similar frontal area and unrestricted would easily approach 230 mph. That is of course with a large rear deck spoiler , a much lower stance and a front splitter. I think if you put the proper tires on the SRT , lowered it and gave it even as small rear spoiler and front splitter for stability 200 would not be out of the question  on the 2 1/2 mile oval.

http://www.hotrod.com/feature_stories/1402_2014_chevy_camaro_zl1_vs_2013_dodge_challenger_srt8_vs_2014_ford_mustang_gt500/mojave_mile.html

Nationwide cars are wind tunnel tuned.   :Twocents:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Indygenerallee

If anyone would know Steve would he works for Hendrick motorsports...... :Twocents:

Indygenerallee

odcics2 PM'd me this, thought id share since he didn't want to..
Quote...and I work for Chrysler Engineering for over 28 years...  Twocents

cheers

Stevearino

Quote from: Indygenerallee on December 18, 2013, 06:45:33 PM
Quote...and I work for Chrysler Engineering for over 28 years...  Twocents

Wow. I don't have an engineering degree so I am  definitely out ranked there and I mean that with the utmost respect odicis2. We are surrounded by engineering talent in the sport today and I am in constant awe of what can be done with that set of skills

To give some reference on  which  my opinion was based.
Superspeedway cars of just a few years ago( prior to the COT) were wildly different from their downforce couterparts and indeed spent many hours in the wind tunnel being massaged. Today however due to the constraints of the grid template system and reverse engineering arm post race inspection the differences in the outer skin are in most places less than .070 in any direction on three axis. The dramatic difference in the drag between speedway cars and downforce cars today is generally rules generated i.e. mandated spoiler, splitter and front pan width and length. Very little can be done to change the outside skin of the car to make it more effective.
Since Superspeedway cars have run restricted motors for years and experiment by nascar was done over 20 years ago with Sterling Marlin in the Stavola Bros. Ford to see what kind of speeds the cars would run without a plate. That car was said to have easily topped 230mph at Daytona and Nascar promptly put the plate back.
I would be very interested to see if the SRT package discussed here would be able to break 200 mph but since for now Dodge is no longer in the sport I wonder how that could be arranged. Would definitely be cool to see happen.

cdr

Quote from: Stevearino on December 18, 2013, 08:20:56 PM

Wow. I don't have an engineering degree so I am  definitely out ranked there and I mean that with the utmost respect odicis2. We are surrounded by engineering talent in the sport today and I am in constant awe of what can be done with that set of skills

To give some reference on  which  my opinion was based.
Superspeedway cars of just a few years ago( prior to the COT) were wildly different from their downforce couterparts and indeed spent many hours in the wind tunnel being massaged. Today however due to the constraints of the grid template system and reverse engineering arm post race inspection the differences in the outer skin are in most places less than .070 in any direction on three axis. The dramatic difference in the drag between speedway cars and downforce cars today is generally rules generated i.e. mandated spoiler, splitter and front pan width and length. Very little can be done to change the outside skin of the car to make it more effective.
Since Superspeedway cars have run restricted motors for years and experiment by nascar was done over 20 years ago with Sterling Marlin in the Stavola Bros. Ford to see what kind of speeds the cars would run without a plate. That car was said to have easily topped 230mph at Daytona and Nascar promptly put the plate back.
I would be very interested to see if the SRT package discussed here would be able to break 200 mph but since for now Dodge is no longer in the sport I wonder how that could be arranged. Would definitely be cool to see happen.

thanx for that info steve.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

odcics2

cheers

Guess the cat's out of the bag now.  I thought a "PM" (Private Message) was just that.      :shruggy:

For the record, I'm not an engineer, but a technician at CTC. I have fuel, exhaust and cooling system experience.
Been in chassis for many years.  Prior to the Pentastar, worked at AMC for 6 years in emissions, adv. engineering and competitive tear down.
I have been lucky enough to know and work with most of the guys that worked in the wing car program on a personal basis.  

Oh well, back to work on the 2016 models...  

Ghoste

odcics2