News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MCACN B5 Hemi Charger 500.....

Started by TheAutoArchaeologist, December 16, 2013, 07:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pettybird

wasn't there a memo that more or less said 'hey dummies you're supposed to paint the bezels' from Chrysler to Creative?  i thought that existed. 

As far as one car having it over another, I'd do it based on personal preference...

hemi68charger

Quote from: pettybird on December 17, 2013, 04:37:01 PM
As far as one car having it over another, I'd do it based on personal preference...

:iagree:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Ghoste

Me personally I would likely do it whatever way it was shipped, but I'm okay with it either way.

A383Wing

someone mentioned vinyl on the bezel....could it be part of the decal they cut out for the opening in the quarter panel trimmed to fit the bezel?

hemi68charger

Quote from: A383Wing on December 18, 2013, 09:51:09 AM
someone mentioned vinyl on the bezel....could it be part of the decal they cut out for the opening in the quarter panel trimmed to fit the bezel?

Not sure I've ever heard of that. But, what they would do was install the decal without the bezel installed, then they would slice an "x" in the decal. Then, they would shove the sidemarker reflector assembly in and secure....... So, you could see stripe vinyl on the inside of the trunk...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Ghoste

And the stripes weren't (aren't) vinyl, they are that thin synthetic they make decals from.  (it could be a form of vinyl I suppose but not the removable cling style)

500Jon

WoW that is really blue! Inside and outside!!!

I really like blue tooo, but a more practical black interior for me.
I suppose some cars were always destined to be trailer Queens! ::)
Bet this car got its correct seats back with buildsheet.

Nice work fellas!!! :2thumbs:

ps my 1/18 Ertl-500 has body painted bezels! So thats gotta be right LoL!

500Jon
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

Kowal

Quote from: 500Jon on December 19, 2013, 07:18:37 AM

I suppose some cars were always destined to be trailer Queens! ::)

500Jon

Hey, I drive mine!!
'69 Hemi Charger 500, '70 U Code Challenger R/T
(These two and a bunch others at www.dkowal426.com)

"P. J. O'Rourke:  The old car ran perfectly, right up until it didn't."

TUFCAT

Quote from: 500Jon on December 19, 2013, 07:18:37 AM

my 1/18 Ertl-500 has body painted bezels! So thats gotta be right LoL!

:iagree:

held1823

perhaps ertl took the easiest path when modifying their charger r/t casting, much like creative did on the 1:1 scales. wasn't it ertl that released a general lee model kit with the aero rear window?

the matching interior/exterior colors have always been my favorite combos. blue/blue, red/red, green/green, etc.
black or white interiors look cool, but not COOL.

there was beauty in how cars used to be ordered. now you get your choice of two or three option group packages, making most cars one of a gazillion.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Ghoste

You can thank the Asian automakers for that.  Its cheaper and easier to only offer option packages.

maxwellwedge

Actually - I found the post musclecar era horrible when it came time for ordering. Too many ways to miss stuff, this package not available with that etc.....more confusing than Mothers day at Arnold Schwarzenegger's house. A million things to consider. I like the 2 or 3 trim level choices....base to loaded. My 2008 SRT8 Challenger only had a few options available....I think sunroof, tires and nav.

Ghoste

Hmm, an interesting counter take on it.

held1823

Quote from: Ghoste on December 19, 2013, 12:04:58 PM
You can blame the Asian automakers for that.  Its cheaper and easier to only offer option packages.

fixed that one for you.

just kidding around with the quote, but you are correct.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

TUFCAT

By reducing plant complexity the manufacturing costs are much less, and cars are cheaper.

held1823

fewer jobs (via automation) paying lower wages, combined with the cookie cutter methodology, certainly have reduced manufacturing costs. stockholders might be thrilled, but that savings has not been passed on the customer.

has anyone done a then-vs-now dollar comparison on a charger r/t? pricing for a new charger r/t starts at $30,500. this is a simplified look at it, but our daytona stickered for $4300. according to this calculator, that's $27,800 today.

add another 10% to that $27,800 figure, and you have the starting price on the new r/t. 
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

TheAutoArchaeologist

Lets get back on track here.  STRIPE REFLECTOR

Also here is the Tractor Shed 69 Hemi Charger 500's interior.  Blue interior, 4-speed as well.

Ryan

69_500

Sorry was put of town for 5 days. This car in question had its bezels body color before any work was done to the car. Not every 500 is like that but honestly I can not think off the top of my head which unrestored car it is but there is one where the bezels were actually stripe color. As far as ones that are body color there is Troy's old car, this Hemi 500, as well as the barn find one that Ryan posted. Both of the press release cars are still in original paint and the bezels are body color. The Propane X car had body color bezels. My car has body color bezels. Those are just off the top of my head. I am almost positive both of the other 500's that Ken had at his shop had bezels that were body color and they were also original paint cars to start with.

Ghoste

It seems odd to me that Ken is requiring proof when the vast majority of evidence is already there.  Also strange to me that someone who is such a stickler for details would put vinyl on the bezel and not paint it if he was sure that was the way it came?

69_500

Having problems with internet connection on my computer or I would post pictures of each of the above cars, but for now only thing that is online is this iPad.

Thought of two more while at kids Christmas program. The black Hemi car referred to as Speedy Greco car also has body color bezels. A Mr. Norms Hemi 500 I looked at also had body color bezels and was at 6,500 miles when I saw it. The Greco car is still under 1,800 miles too.

A third I just remembered is the black car that a board member here bought a little more than a year ago. Black with red interior, has black bezels and is probably 80-90% original paint. Jerry nerramore bought his 500 in 1969 and I have a picture of it from then and it has body colored bezels. Don Moody also a board member here bought his 500 brand new and it's bezels were also body color. Another example would be talkiemopar and his bronze 500.

I know there is at least one that had stripe colored bezels but I can not find my picture to back that one up, and Ghoste feel free to laugh but I can not remember what the VIN is to it either. I will try to think of it while sleeping tonight.

Ghoste

I don't if I would laugh about it but I am a little surprised.

TheAutoArchaeologist

Ken is just double checking.  He just wants to do what is right for the car.  If it is suppose to be body color, he will make sure it is right.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 69_500 on December 19, 2013, 09:31:30 PM
Having problems with internet connection on my computer or I would post pictures of each of the above cars, but for now only thing that is online is this iPad.

Thought of two more while at kids Christmas program. The black Hemi car referred to as Speedy Greco car also has body color bezels. A Mr. Norms Hemi 500 I looked at also had body color bezels and was at 6,500 miles when I saw it. The Greco car is still under 1,800 miles too.

A third I just remembered is the black car that a board member here bought a little more than a year ago. Black with red interior, has black bezels and is probably 80-90% original paint. Jerry nerramore bought his 500 in 1969 and I have a picture of it from then and it has body colored bezels. Don Moody also a board member here bought his 500 brand new and it's bezels were also body color. Another example would be talkiemopar and his bronze 500.

I know there is at least one that had stripe colored bezels but I can not find my picture to back that one up, and Ghoste feel free to laugh but I can not remember what the VIN is to it either. I will try to think of it while sleeping tonight.

The one in the G-S Dodge pic I posted has the bezels in the stripe color.