News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Are 70 Charger and 70 Roadrunner bucket seat frames the same?

Started by hotrod98, February 15, 2006, 09:08:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod98

I have a set of 70 Charger bucket seats and need a set for my 70 Superbird clone project. The seats look the same except for the foam and covers of course. I would like to know for sure before I order the foam and covers.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

dpm68

As far as I can tell, all two-door (bucket) seat rails for all mopar 68-70 B bodies will interchange.

BrianShaughnessy

Some of the metal wires (which I'm stumped at the name of at this time) in the seat back are different to account for the curved foam and cover pattern.  Charger's are straight,  RR's have some curves in them.

I'll remember the proper name at a later time and date and smack myself on the forehead.

Who sells '70 seat foam?  EDIT:  nevermind,  I see dante's sells '70 PLYMOUTH foam  :P  Not Charger foam  :-[
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

hotrod98

I originally bought these charger seats for another charger project and then found that the seat buns weren't available which makes no sense whatsoever. Hopefully, I can alter the seat springs enough to work with the Roadrunner buns and covers.

Charles Addams

BrianShaughnessy

I bought my set of 70 Chargers off a friend and he had started bending the wires to fit his 70 Plymouths.   I want to call the wires "strakes" but I could be wrong at this time still.

The foam that was on them reeked bad of old cow barn.  I left them upstairs in the garage  - I'm sure they still have a good chance of gagging somebody.   Hence I'm still looking for 70 Charger foam.

hotrod98

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on February 15, 2006, 11:31:19 AM
I bought my set of 70 Chargers off a friend and he had started bending the wires to fit his 70 Plymouths. I want to call the wires "strakes" but I could be wrong at this time still.

The foam that was on them reeked bad of old cow barn. I left them upstairs in the garage - I'm sure they still have a good chance of gagging somebody. Hence I'm still looking for 70 Charger foam.

It seems to me that the  charger foam is flatter in the bolster areas. You might consider using the plymouth foam and simply cutting it down with an electric knife. The guys at Gabe's use an electric knife to form their foam when they do the interiors on American Hotrod.
Or, if you had some of the old foam to go by, I bet you could buy the blocks of foam from an upholstery shop and shape them yourself.
Just an idea...not sure if it's a good idea or not. I guarantee you that if I needed the seats bad enough, I would certainly try shaping new foam for them myself.

Charles Addams

BrianShaughnessy

I don't need the seats that bad...   I wanted to get something half custom like Dane's yellow Daytona  - 70 highbacks with 69 center sections.   I asked Legendary before and they said no.  I just haven't put too awful much effort into as yet.   My "old" 69 buckets are just fine until I get around to it.   Anyway I know Dante asked if people were interested in '70 foam here awhile back...  I just don't know what happened with it.

I am accepting bids on the job in case.   Black vinyl will do just fine.  :yesnod:    I'm in the middle of cam swap on the car,  remodeling the bathroom,  gutting the basement to prepare to remodel that and upgrading appliances in the kitchen.   Just a little busy.

hotrod98

BUSY...my life story. My chal convert has been painted and ready to go back together for two years now. The 426 is mated up to the tranny and it's sitting next to the lift and the convert's on the lift. Just not enough time. I promised my wife that I would finish bolting the convert together before putting the bird clone on the rotisserie. I guess I'll have to keep my promise.

Charles Addams

Chryco Psycho

the 68-69 were low back seats , the 70 were highbacks , the seat frames will be the same for the 2 70 seats with just different foam & covers though

hotrod98

My seats are definitely from a 70 Charger 500. I had a 69 grille that this guy wanted real bad and the only way that I would let him have it is to trade me his fenders, hood and seats for it. I removed the stuff myself, but only after he broke his original grille into a million pieces trying to help me. The guy almost cried when he realized that he probably wouldn't be restoring the 70 now.

Charles Addams

Rick Keesler

As far as the steel frame and springworks, the 70 Charger and the 70 RR seats are the same, and as also mentioned, the difference is in the foam and the covers.

I think the term you were trying for in reference to the wires is listing wires. They are different between the two 70 models, but that should not be a problem. Whenever I recover seats, I always make new listing wires out of stainless steel TIG welding rod of the same diameter. If you'll notice what the listing pockets on your old covers look like when you take them apart, you'll see what rust from the listing wires and steel hog rings can do to the pocket material.....not good. So I make new ones out of the stainless TIG rod AND I use stainless hog rings too. :thumbs:

hotrod98

My wife does most of our upholstery for our cars and she uses my stainless tig welding rod for the wires.
It looks like I'll be able to use my 70 charger seats for the superbird clone.

Charles Addams

Dodge Don

No one carries pre-formed seat foam for a 70 Charger anymore, however your local upholstery shop should be able to do it.

hotrod98

Quote from: Dodge Don on February 21, 2006, 08:29:49 PM
No one carries pre-formed seat foam for a 70 Charger anymore, however your local upholstery shop should be able to do it.

I won't need the 70 charger foam since I'm using these in my superbird clone. Luckily the roadrunner foam is available.
I originally got these seats for my 69 daytona clone, but have since found headrests for my 69 charger seats and the 69 seats will look more correct in the daytona clone.

Something to think about. For those of you re-upholstering 70 high back seats, be sure and keep what's left of the old foam so that the upholstery shop will have something to go by when shaping new foam. It will save them a lot of time and maybe a few dollars as well.

Charles Addams

THE CHARGER PUNK

paddock parts sell 70 runner foam and seat backs and seat covers.-MATT

hotrod98

Pretty much everyone sells the roadrunner stuff, it's the charger foam that's hard to find. I don't buy much from Paddock, but I've spent around $6000 with Year One over the past few years. They are a lot easier to deal with on returns in my opinion.

Charles Addams