News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone restore their woodgrain steering wheel???

Started by Mfr426, March 04, 2006, 11:08:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfr426

with any of the kits that are out there?

Any comments on time, results, suggestions ?

I'm a bit nervous about doing mine.

Thanks all for ANY comments.

Mike R in Reading PA

dd44068

8WHEELER

I was lucky enough to have a friend in another Mopar club that does the wheels himself. He
has an NOS wheel to recreate the grain and texture to original. He only works on friends wheels, he
does it only as a hobby really, not making much money, charges $100.00 a wheel, this is one he did for
me, I did not know the grain was so deep on the wheels when they were new, all of mine were
nice and smooth.

It seems everybody is doing them these days, I don't know of a kit, the guy that does mine uses
a small little hack saw blade he says to get the correct texture.

Here are a few guys, I don't know anything about them though.
http://www.drive.to/stwheels
http://www.dealsonwheels.com/parts/garys/

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Mfr426

Hey guys, thanks for the comments and links. The ony guy is in Carlise which is about 1.5 hours from here. I'm inclined to sent him my wheel for an estimate. He says it takes 4 weeks to complete.

I appreciate the comments.

Mike R

y3chargerrt

Mike, I have done business with Gary in Carlisle. He does great work and is easy to deal with. Ron

Ghoste

Hey Dan, did the guy you know have the craft taught to him or did he basically pick it up on his own? 

8WHEELER

Quote from: Ghoste on March 05, 2006, 11:03:06 AM
Hey Dan, did the guy you know have the craft taught to him or did he basically pick it up on his own? 

He said he decided to try it on his own, when he found the NOS wheel and how great it looked, and was
seeing the price for the wheels going up and up. So he did a little research and started at it,  he is in Canada.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Mfr426

I called Gary in Carlisle. He said 325.00 for just about any woodgrain wheel. Turn around is 4 weeks.

That seems fair to me.

Ghoste

Beats the hell out of the going rate for NOS ones.

Mfr426

I agree. I'm boxing it up tomorrow and shipping it out...

We'll see in a month...