News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Haven't seen one of these driving simulators for sale in a while

Started by bull, December 25, 2013, 05:51:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Some people, including our old buddy and moderator Chris, snatched them up for the genuine woodgrain steering wheels. They want almost as much for this thing as I paid for my 68 Charger.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-1970-1971-Dodge-Simulator-MoPar-Woodgrain-Driver-/400040574356?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&hash=item5d2446bd94&vxp=mtr

Baldwinvette77

.......... sorry for my age, but... WHAT IN THE F**K IS THAT THING????????? ... Merry Christmas btw :)

Ghoste

Back in the olden days we used to teach kids to drive first and then actually let them do it.  As opposed to now when they get the basics from playing Grand Theft Auto and then get a restricted licence that doesn't let them do squat for years except cause their parents to pay unholy insurance bills.

Ghoste

Just as Bull said, its a driving simulator from the sixties.  ;)

Baldwinvette77

Ohhhhhhh.... Yeah Grand theft auto v is about 4600$ less expensive, which would make sense why So many, including my self turn to video games for Vehicular simulation  :D........ :scratchchin:

You know that would make a cool control center for an arcade racing game  :coolgleamA:

Ghoste

Back when Chrysler originally made them they were distributed mainly through high schools for free.  They didn't become a 5000 dollar collectible until lately.

Mopar4me

A383Wing

Ghoste

I never even noticed it was Frank.  That means you should be able to find one somewhere else for about 2000.

bull

Ghoste

F8-4life

That thing is weirdly cool.
Looks like someone in cinci snaked one for the steering wheel & is reselling it.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/clt/4182263137.html

68X426

Quote from: Ghoste on December 25, 2013, 06:14:12 PM

I'll be even more specific - yes, driver's education, circa 1973.

All the school districts would put about 8 of these together, lined up in 2 rows, in a portable trailer (mobile home type trailer) and the football coaches would teach the drivers ed class. They would all wear white shoes and white belts, hitting on the 16 year old girls showing their new cleavage.

The trailer was dark, real dark, and the coaches played grab-ass with the girls. I don't know how any of us learned to drive.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Just 6T9 CHGR

Yup back in the late 90's a friend bought one of these trailers filled with a dozen of those simulators in it.  I sold the steering wheels on them (kept one for myself) on the fairly new site called eBay.

Made him almost 10k off 10 steering wheels alone...paid for that trailer 9xX over! 
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bull

Quote from: 68X426 on December 25, 2013, 11:54:37 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on December 25, 2013, 06:14:12 PM

I'll be even more specific - yes, driver's education, circa 1973.

All the school districts would put about 8 of these together, lined up in 2 rows, in a portable trailer (mobile home type trailer) and the football coaches would teach the drivers ed class. They would all wear white shoes and white belts, hitting on the 16 year old girls showing their new cleavage.

The trailer was dark, real dark, and the coaches played grab-ass with the girls. I don't know how any of us learned to drive.

We had them ar our high school, must've been about '83 when I went through the course. Don't recall any cleavage and groping going on though, and it didn't occur to me that I should have been planning ways to score a nice steering wheel once they were deemed obsolete. But then if that had occurred to me I probably would have been buying up whole cars instead, starting with the Superbird in the wrecking yard. :brickwall:

The simulations really sucked. It must have been pretty high tech for the time but there was no way to navigate your "car" down the road without wrecking every 2 miles. After a while you got frustrated and startiing running over things on purpose.

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on December 26, 2013, 06:00:53 AM
Yup back in the late 90's a friend bought one of these trailers filled with a dozen of those simulators in it.  I sold the steering wheels on them (kept one for myself) on the fairly new site called eBay.

Made him almost 10k off 10 steering wheels alone...paid for that trailer 9xX over! 

:nono: Shame, shame. Somewhere there are 12 useless simulators with stumps where the wheels used to be. Not sure what they'd be good for otherwise though.

bakerhillpins

Looks like folks are overlooking the other parts on those things, no? Is the dash from a RR/Coronet? How about the 3 pedal setup, are they real pedals from a car?

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Tilar

Yeah they are the real pedals or at least they looked like it at the time. I remember the one I took my drivers training in must have been older because it had the setup from a 64 Ford Galaxie.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

tan top

Quote from: bakerhillpins on December 26, 2013, 12:03:55 PM
Looks like folks are overlooking the other parts on those things, no? Is the dash from a RR/Coronet? How about the 3 pedal setup, are they real pedals from a car?

yeah  gas pedal is 68-70 b-body , but think I remember reading the brake & clutch don't match anything mopar   :shruggy:

had a chance of getting one of them driving simulator S81 wheels when I was in the middle of doing the resto on my charger , thought long an hard about it , as mine only had one split / separation at 12 oclock !   but decided to keep my original , as I knew it was the original to the car , i'm nuts like that  :P
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Aero426

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on December 26, 2013, 06:00:53 AM
Yup back in the late 90's a friend bought one of these trailers filled with a dozen of those simulators in it.  I sold the steering wheels on them (kept one for myself) on the fairly new site called eBay.

Did he sell all the seats?