News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why does my exhaust always blow water out? Beyond condensation.....

Started by Skull-1, January 07, 2014, 05:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk

Quote from: A383Wing on January 07, 2014, 08:22:49 PM
Quote from: myk on January 07, 2014, 07:50:43 PM
No car should ever "eat" exhaust components, even if it's only ever driven short distances...

B.S....water or vapor sitting in an exhaust system will eat it up...heat, H2O, and oxygen will do a lot of damage

a lot of mufflers now have a hole punched in the end at it's lowest point to force the water out before it gets to the pipes...and mufflers farther back are more prone to rot faster than ones up close to engine because they do not get as hot to evaporate the water....I have put many mufflers on and seen no small punched holes, so I made one with a hammer & punch

So you've seen cars that are driven in the manner of the OP's car destroy exhaust components at the rate he mentioned, which is two or three times a year?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

cudaken

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 08, 2014, 08:36:23 AM
How can I create this water problem if this normal and means complete combustion? None of my cRs do it not even the 68.  Am I not doing complete burns if I dont spit out water?

Do you have cat's on the 74? I think by then they where being used.
I am back

RECHRGD

Quote from: myk on January 08, 2014, 09:14:45 AM
No car should ever "eat" exhaust components, even if it's only ever driven short distances...

B.S....water or vapor sitting in an exhaust system will eat it up...heat, H2O, and oxygen will do a lot of damage

a lot of mufflers now have a hole punched in the end at it's lowest point to force the water out before it gets to the pipes...and mufflers farther back are more prone to rot faster than ones up close to engine because they do not get as hot to evaporate the water....I have put many mufflers on and seen no small punched holes, so I made one with a hammer & punch

So you've seen cars that are driven in the manner of the OP's car destroy exhaust components at the rate he mentioned, which is two or three times a year?

Myk, he said "two or three times over", not per year.  Who knows how often the pipes rotted out.  Every year, or every ten years?
13.53 @ 105.32

Troy

A couple of you guys responding live in places where this isn't a problem. If you live in Ohio you'd see water dripping out of the exhaust every day - except possibly mid summer. ;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Skull-1

Quote from: Mopar Nut on January 08, 2014, 03:20:36 AM
Is this your first time using stainless steel? And is the whole system stainless steel now? 

Yes. Unless factory exhaust was stainless, which I don't think it was.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,6231.0.html

1969 Dodge Charger "Ol' Yeller"
1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom
1995 Buick Regal Gran Sport
1996 Buick Regal SE (R.I.P.)

Dino

Could you possibly film this?  I would be worried if water stopped coming out of the exhaust, but yeah there's a limit.  I'd like to see the tailpipes filmed at idle with cold engine and hot engine.

Where do the pipes rot?  There's supposed to be drain holes in the exhaust tips to drain water.  I've seen where the last end of the pipe travelled up too much so the water would sit right behind the axle bend rotting it from the inside out.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Skull-1

Quote from: Dino on January 08, 2014, 04:06:05 PM
Could you possibly film this?  I would be worried if water stopped coming out of the exhaust, but yeah there's a limit.  I'd like to see the tailpipes filmed at idle with cold engine and hot engine.

Where do the pipes rot?  There's supposed to be drain holes in the exhaust tips to drain water.  I've seen where the last end of the pipe travelled up too much so the water would sit right behind the axle bend rotting it from the inside out.

I can give it a shot.   No drain holes anywhere in the pipes.  They also aren't straight as they bend down before they exit.  Perhaps a weep hole is needed.

1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom

Skull-1

Quote from: RECHRGD on January 08, 2014, 10:40:57 AM

Myk, he said "two or three times over", not per year.  Who knows how often the pipes rotted out.  Every year, or every ten years?

Two or three times since 1969.   To be clear. 

1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom

Skull-1

Videoed it at startup.  Waiting for it to warm up.  Where should I post this, Dino?   Send you it via email maybe?

1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom

Dino

Quote from: Skull-1 on January 08, 2014, 04:37:06 PM
Videoed it at startup.  Waiting for it to warm up.  Where should I post this, Dino?   Send you it via email maybe?

You can but I want others to see this as well.  I have a video clip of my car on photobucket and I'm sure you can upload it to several free hosting sites.  All you need is to upload the file, we can download it and watch it.

btw, email is mistervisATgmail.com

Brass

Quote from: Skull-1 on January 08, 2014, 04:24:14 PM

Two or three times since 1969.   To be clear. 

So about every 15 year?  In that case, I think this might be normal.  Be sure not to short-cycle your engine.  Each time you run/drive it, let it come all the way up to full operating temperature to burn out the moisture. 

Skull-1

Well consider it was in resto for almost ten years so...   When it was a daily driver it went through pipes fairly quickly IMHO.  I hope it is normal...

1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom

Dino

Here's two short video's Skull sent me so please take a look at them .  First one is around 5MB, the other around 13.  He also said that: The water takes about two minutes to show up.  It is 38 degrees here, hence the cloud of white....   It doesn't make smoke when it is warm outside...

http://s1207.photobucket.com/user/Dino-69/media/VIDEO0022_zps3fbeadc7.mp4.html
http://s1207.photobucket.com/user/Dino-69/media/VIDEO0023_zpse210698c.mp4.html

Although it seems excessive, and it may be somewhat, considering the circumstances this is not out of the ordinary.  It's cold and there's a lot of combustion going on to produce that amount of water.  Once it's out on the open and hot however, it should not do this.  Vapor sure but not dripping, not when hot.  If there is no cloud when the engine's hot then the head gaskets are fine as well.  I think the next step is to get the engine tunes as best as possible and see what, if anything, has changed.

Skull-1

Also sent you some when hot.  Definite difference.   No dripping.    You will notice more carbon on exhaust one (left bank) vs two (right bank) which looks clean.  (Sorry I couldn't send all the videos for proper context.  I can try to upload them at some point but a couple are too big to email.)

Thanks for helping with the upload.  :2thumbs:

1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom

Dino

myk

Quote from: myk on January 08, 2014, 09:14:45 AM

Oh I see-oops, lol.  Well in that case what the 'OP is describing is understandable.  I will say that my personal mileage has varied, though; I've had the same exhaust (minus the Dynomax U-flow mufflers) for the last 20 years and my exhaust is still good to go..
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

1974dodgecharger

My mistake thought op said it dripped every start up even d4iving through t3xas.

Skull-1

You got it right in that it drips after every COLD start, regardless how long it was driven before.  Sorry I wasn't clear on that.

I can drive it across Texas.  Park it overnight.   Start it.  And it drips like the vid until it heats up.  It isn't coolant.  Doesn't smell like coolant.  Clear.  Goes away after warmup only to be back the next day at startup.

1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom

Back N Black

Skull-1

Quote from: Back N Black on January 09, 2014, 12:16:24 PM
I watched the vid and its normal. My car does the same.

Whew.  Now on to weep holes and a tune up. 

1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom

rob1684

I've had my 74 Charger for 35+ years with the bullet tips and it always does it when the temp outside cools down. I was once told to put tennis balls in the tips to help keep moist air out. I do it when I store it but not during driving months. They fit nice and snug and will blow out if you forget to remove them.

ws23rt

Let's not for get about the local humidity when we drive our cars. When the air is saturated with water it's almost fog. That goes in the intake.

Skull-1

Well this car spent most of its life in deep Deep South Texas which is known for high humidity.  But it has also done it in Northern Oklahoma in winter or summer.

1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom

68X426

Quote from: Back N Black on January 09, 2014, 12:16:24 PM
I watched the vid and its normal. My car does the same.

Looks normal to me too, and my Hemi (TTi headers, stainless exhaust) does it everytime like that when it is below 45 degrees or below 55 and with high humidity. Even when stored in a dry garage. I think the f-ing ethanol contributes to the water build-up too.

Takes 2 to 3 minutes to stop.

These are big block Mopars, they are beasts that spit, smoke, and breath fire.  :2thumbs:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

A383Wing

mine do it all the time up here in NW Washington....even when they are in covered garages