News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 - timing - MSD/Probillet dist

Started by mopar0166, January 20, 2014, 10:12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar0166

Can some one kindly take me through timing after the initial timing.   ?  im getting alot of conflicting info. 

mopar0166

For a 1968 440 with msd and probillet distrubutor

cudaken

Details on compression and cam would help. I have a old MP 509 lift cam and mechanical advances distributor in a 383 and it likes 19 degrees BTDC.

Cuda Ken
I am back

don duick

To give an example - my 440 has a 224/231 size cam my initial timing is set to 16 degrees btc and has 20 degrees centrifical advance in the distributor to give a total of 36. vacuum advance is disconnected. I have a msd 6a box and a mopar performance distributor which will soon be replaced as it has spark scatter. msd so far has been ok 

When I had a stock cam initial timing was set at 6 degrees and vacuum advance connected.

don duick

forgot to mention does not matter what brand of distributor you have. Any distributor you use in your motor will be set the same.

mopar0166

OK ,  the cam is an edelbrock rpm performer,( used the power package)  compression is 10:1 , msd pro billet distributor , msd 6 al box,

80fbody

The instructions for that distributor are available on the page below. I'd guess your shooting for 34-36 degrees total. Not in too early so it doesn't ping on pump gas.

http://www.msdignition.com/Products/Distributors/Chrysler/Street/Strip/8546_-_Chrysler_426,440_Pro-Billet_Distributor.aspx

firefighter3931

Quote from: mopar0166 on January 21, 2014, 11:02:23 AM
OK ,  the cam is an edelbrock rpm performer,( used the power package)  compression is 10:1 , msd pro billet distributor , msd 6 al box,

I was waiting for a little more info before responding  ;)

With that engine combination i would install the black bushing and time the engine with 18* at idle which will give you 36* total. Check the rate of advance and if need be swap in the lighter springs to bring the total in earlier....say at 2200-2400 rpm.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs