News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

500 with the recall's

Started by panhead, January 07, 2014, 07:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panhead

Here are some pics of my 500 with the recall wheels, it was one of the first things I did when I got back home.  I really dig the look!   :coolgleamA:

Curt
69' Dodge Charger 500
69' Dodge Daytona "Replica"

Ghoste

They just look so perfect on that car.  :drool5: :drool5:

tan top

Quote from: Ghoste on January 07, 2014, 07:42:33 PM
They just look so perfect on that car.  :drool5: :drool5:

:yesnod:   awesome  stuff  :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

IMO recall wheels on a C500  , look the best    :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

Fully agree, if I had a 500 they would be my first choice for a wheel.  Why do they look so good on the 500?

DAY CLONA

Looks good Curt, I love the look of recall rims, esp on the Charger, are those originals?, or repro rims from Specialty Wheel?

Mike

A383Wing

agree..and the red line matches the red car...can't get much better

moparstuart

in the top picture at that angle and without a stripe the fast back look really sticks out
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

panhead

Quote from: DAY CLONA on January 07, 2014, 08:35:28 PM
Looks good Curt, I love the look of recall rims, esp on the Charger, are those originals?, or repro rims from Specialty Wheel?

Mike

These are repro's
69' Dodge Charger 500

charger_fan_4ever

Recalls are right behind the original american racing 200S imo.

fy469rtse

Ok I've heard about these recall wheels , ? What was wrong with the wheels originally and can that issue be fixed machined etc , and if they were recalled how is it that people have sets to put on there cars ?
Reason I'm asking got my hands on a set but would like to know how you tell apart repos to originals

hemigeno

Quote from: Ghoste on January 07, 2014, 08:24:50 PM
Fully agree, if I had a 500 they would be my first choice for a wheel.  Why do they look so good on the 500?

I dunno what it is exactly about the combo, but it does perfect the look.  Chrysler thought so too.

maxwellwedge

x2

They look good on a lot of models.....Did I hear they stopped making them?

Ghoste

Quote from: fy469rtse on January 08, 2014, 05:24:35 AM
Ok I've heard about these recall wheels , ? What was wrong with the wheels originally and can that issue be fixed machined etc , and if they were recalled how is it that people have sets to put on there cars ?
Reason I'm asking got my hands on a set but would like to know how you tell apart repos to originals

The orginals had an issue where if they weren't properly retorqued after driving them for a period, they would crack around the centers.  The issue is fixed by careful maintainance and people have them now because a) although very rare, not all sets got recalled, they were in production for a short time before the issue reared up, or b) they have reproduction ones.
I'm not sure how you tell the difference between the two. I know there is something different in the external appearance when you put the two side by side but I don't know what it is.  Someone will chime in.

hemigeno

The answer(s) to your questions are in this thread:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,101396.0.html

Here's the specific replies:
Quote from: odcics2 on May 14, 2013, 07:03:38 PM
The issue with them was torque retention.  No matter what, they'd loosen up, the wheel would move and crack from on the backside.  I have seen cracked ones in person.  The cracks start on the ribs in back and go towards the center.
Worse case is that the center section with the lugs in on the hub and about 1/2 way out the entire wheel/tire assy comes off!

I know they repopped them. I have no idea if they re-engineered them...   :shruggy:

... and:

Quote from: odcics2 on May 18, 2013, 08:00:43 AM
FYI - the pics of the green Daytona in the link show the aftermarket Kelsey wheels, NOT the original Chrysler ones...

OEM MoPar used a trim ring, NOT chrome.    Also, there are 5 less rivets holding the center section to the outer rim on the chrome wheel.

When Chrysler pulled the plug in late 68, Kelsey continued to make the wheels in Canada.  I'd assume until they were out of center castings...   :shruggy:

fy469rtse, If you count the rivets holding the cast section to the rim, odcics2 or someone else can probably help you determine what you have.  Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to run original W23 wheels, but I would be retorquing the lugs after every drive - and probably wouldn't sidestep the clutch.

maxwellwedge

I have the similar construction (cast aluminum center/steel rim) Motor Wheel Spyder's on Disco and they seem to hold up well as far as lug nut torque etc. Chrysler was probably over cautious / gun-shy....I don't blame them.

Ghoste

How often do you check them?

maxwellwedge

Once every 3-4 burn-outs.... :D

WINGMAN

69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

odcics2

Let's see pics of the wheels in question...   

panhead

Here is some pics of mine.

Curt
69' Dodge Charger 500

odcics2

Need pics!!  Back side...   Need any numbers on the back, too.

odcics2

Quote from: panhead on January 08, 2014, 07:24:34 PM
Here is some pics of mine.

Curt

I can see they are shy 5 rivets and not re-engineered to resist cracking...      IMO - keep your eye on the nut torque!    :2thumbs:

rainbow4jd

Quote from: panhead on January 07, 2014, 07:41:12 PM
Here are some pics of my 500 with the recall wheels, it was one of the first things I did when I got back home.  I really dig the look!   :coolgleamA:

Curt

Curt a couple of things from a legal standpoint.  

1) Do be careful driving the car around, IF you should ever have an accident related to the wheels - you are pretty much screwed as technically they represent an "uncompleted recall".   Without getting into the mumbo jumbo, think of carrying around a gun where the safety is broken and it goes off.   You will loose your ass trying to defend yourself in court - its the gross negligience thing (civil suit, not criminal, unless someone was to get really hurt bad of course).

2) If you sell the car - do not sell it with the recalls on it.   In most states it is illegal to sell a car with an open (or uncompleted recall) - and there's a whole bunch of other legal mumbo-jumbo of whether that even applies to a 45 year old vehicle, but again - you want to protect yourself.  Sell the car and include "display wheels  - not for street use" - that will allevieate your liability if the new owner has a wheel accident.

Great car by the way.

PS Reading down, I see that they are repros - everything I just typed may or may not apply.   Your call.   I would do a lug nut torque check EVERY time I got ready to drive the car. 

panhead

Quote from: rainbow4jd on January 10, 2014, 07:44:10 PM
Quote from: panhead on January 07, 2014, 07:41:12 PM
Here are some pics of my 500 with the recall wheels, it was one of the first things I did when I got back home.  I really dig the look!   :coolgleamA:

Curt

Curt a couple of things from a legal standpoint.  

1) Do be careful driving the car around, IF you should ever have an accident related to the wheels - you are pretty
much screwed as technically they represent an "uncompleted recall".   Without getting into the mumbo jumbo, think of carrying around a gun where the safety is broken and it goes off.   You will loose your ass trying to defend yourself in court - its the gross negligience thing (civil suit, not criminal, unless someone was to get really hurt bad of course).

2) If you sell the car - do not sell it with the recalls on it.   In most states it is illegal to sell a car with an open (or uncompleted recall) - and there's a whole bunch of other legal mumbo-jumbo of whether that even applies to a 45 year old vehicle, but again - you want to protect yourself.  Sell the car and include "display wheels  - not for street
use" - that will allevieate your liability if the new owner has a wheel accident.

Great car by the way.

PS Reading down, I see that they are repros - everything I just typed may or may not apply.   Your call.   I would do a lug nut torque check EVERY time I got ready to drive the car. 

I wish to think you for your insight and gudiness, will do.

Curt

69' Dodge Charger 500