News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tach gauge post identification/speedo cable post help/radio wiring

Started by 2Luke2, January 13, 2014, 04:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2Luke2

Hello everyone! We we were rebuilding our transmission we noticed that the old cable was burned and way way too long. So we decided to replace the cable. We got one from www.rockauto.com, it was under 10 bucks. Which I was rather surprised, but when we got the cable it seemed very well made. Anyway... we went to plug it up and our new cable has a screw in adapter at the speedo end, but our speedo cable has a plastic snap adapter. Where can we find a speedo cable that will fit this(first picture)?

Next, we know our clock doesn't work on our tick-tock-tac. So we decided to take a look since we were under the dash hanging upside down. We saw that someone obviously made some "custom" wires. What we don't know is what all the posts are for, they had one marked coil and one right above it marked 12v, but three others that don't have anything attached. Can anyone help us identify what they are for so we make sure we do it right?(second picture)

Last thing on our list! (for now) We got a bbody radio that we would like to hook up, but last night we went looking for the radio connections and couldn't find any... Is there a separate harness for the radio or might the wires just be buried in the dash? We found the radio in the service manual, but weren't able to find any of the wires associated with the pictures there. Though now that we are thinking about it we didn't check the fuse block and start from there. So that might help us.

Thanks!

Ghoste

I think the other three just hold the works into the housing.

2Luke2

Hmm, so I guess we need to find another reason for why the clock doesn't work. Sounds like some dismantling in our near future.

Ghoste

The clocks have a sort of points setup inside for the winder.  As the clock winds down, the pints come together and send the elctric charge into the rewinding mechanism and break the point set at the same to renew the cycle.  Over time as the moving shafts wear the plates through which they pass it and allow the points to stick closed and burn out.  That is frequently the cause anyway.

2Luke2

Quote from: Ghoste on January 13, 2014, 05:40:05 PM
The clocks have a sort of points setup inside for the winder.  As the clock winds down, the pints come together and send the elctric charge into the rewinding mechanism and break the point set at the same to renew the cycle.  Over time as the moving shafts wear the plates through which they pass it and allow the points to stick closed and burn out.  That is frequently the cause anyway.

Thank you sir.

JamieZ

Quote from: Ghoste on January 13, 2014, 05:27:44 PM

The other three are ground.  Which is why the non-conductive disks separate the 12v and coil connections from the housing.

The clock get's it power from a little pig tail that  comes off the tach further down.  I believe it might be visible in the lower part of your picture.  It's just a single connector for power.

2Luke2

Quote from: JamieZ on January 13, 2014, 08:45:15 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on January 13, 2014, 05:27:44 PM

The other three are ground.  Which is why the non-conductive disks separate the 12v and coil connections from the housing.

The clock get's it power from a little pig tail that  comes off the tach further down.  I believe it might be visible in the lower part of your picture.  It's just a single connector for power.

Thank you!

WHITE AND RED 69

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Dino

I hate to say this, but now is the time to check every single wire in that car.  Custom wiring sometimes equates to burnt car.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

2Luke2

Thanks guys.

Dino... we saw an M&H tag on the wiring so we know it's not original. We also thought the same thing though and are trying to figure out how to take the dash out to go over the wiring and also install our radio. We skimmed through the FSM, but probably missed it.

We will keep at it... we definitely don't want a fire after all this hard work.

John_Kunkel

On the tach pic the dark blue wire is switched 12V that comes from the radio fuse, the gray wire originally had a spade connector that plugged onto the spade terminal (now empty).
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Dino

Quote from: 2Luke2 on January 14, 2014, 02:05:14 PM
Thanks guys.

Dino... we saw an M&H tag on the wiring so we know it's not original. We also thought the same thing though and are trying to figure out how to take the dash out to go over the wiring and also install our radio. We skimmed through the FSM, but probably missed it.

M&H makes the new wiring looms so if it's in good shape then you're good to go.  They seem to omit some accessory wiring here and there such as dome light and brake light switch.  They may have omitted the radio wiring.  I can look for the radio wiring, it's only three wires I think.  No matter what, always check wiring, even if they were just installed.  All you need to ruin your day is some cut insulation that happened when it slid over a sharp metal edge when installed. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

2Luke2

Quote from: Dino on January 14, 2014, 05:20:27 PM
Quote from: 2Luke2 on January 14, 2014, 02:05:14 PM
Thanks guys.

M&H makes the new wiring looms so if it's in good shape then you're good to go.  They seem to omit some accessory wiring here and there such as dome light and brake light switch.  They may have omitted the radio wiring.  I can look for the radio wiring, it's only three wires I think.  No matter what, always check wiring, even if they were just installed.  All you need to ruin your day is some cut insulation that happened when it slid over a sharp metal edge when installed. 

Thanks, we found the radio wiring in the FSM and in our wiring diagrams, but didn't find it in the car yet. Our radio has a plug with an orange and green wire, and then one green and black wire that are stuck together. Not sure where those go. We do have a speaker in the dash and two more in the deck. The ones in the deck look like they have speaker wire running from them, but we haven't traced those yet. The one in the dash doesn't have anything connected to it as far as we can see.

We will definitely be looking over all the wiring though. We have found a couple wires that looked like they were tapped into or were bend a broke the wiring sleeve, but the wire is still in once piece. Not sure how to repair that except to solder it and put some heat shrink on it.

A383Wing

Ghoste

The M&H harness doesn't include the tach wiring does it?  Do you not have to get that separately?

2Luke2

Quote from: A383Wing on January 14, 2014, 07:15:57 PM
the green & black stuck together go to the speaker

That's what we were thinking, but wasn't 100% sure because one wire has a grey plug that is male and the other is a bare wire with a female end on it. The speaker under the dash has to male ends of course. So we were thinking we might be wrong or missing some more wiring. Also we aren't sure how the rear speakers would hook up either. The box in the image is supposed to be an aux hook up. We shall see how that works later haha.

2Luke2

Quote from: Ghoste on January 14, 2014, 08:28:34 PM
The M&H harness doesn't include the tach wiring does it?  Do you not have to get that separately?

No idea, we didn't buy the harness it came with the car. So that would be nice to know. We will have to do some more research on that subject. Thanks for pointing it out Ghoste.

Ghoste

Yeah, I'm only about 60% on that one so the further research would be quite warranted.

A383Wing

the "T" plastic plug in yer pic above is as follows: red is key on 12v power for radio, orange is for the dash light inside the radio

no clue to that "AUX" hook up box..never seen one before

2Luke2

Quote from: A383Wing on January 15, 2014, 08:30:40 PM
the "T" plastic plug in yer pic above is as follows: red is key on 12v power for radio, orange is for the dash light inside the radio

no clue to that "AUX" hook up box..never seen one before

Yea we found the same in our wiring diagrams(red/orange) and the "AUX" box is a modification so we can plug in our phone or mp3 player and listen to the tunes we want.  :2thumbs:

Just need to figure out how to take the dash apart, but the car is still on jack stands waiting for the new k frame and suspension parts. So we are waiting to tear into the dash until we find more info on how to dismantle it properly.