News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Holley Carb info /opinions wanted

Started by 66FBCharger, January 17, 2014, 09:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

I'm considering replacing an Edelbrock AFB carb on my 440 with a Holley 750. For some reason Holley as well as Summit have  these carbs priced the same no matter what version. Whether it is the square bowl single feed, "V" bowl dual feed or the "V" bowl dual feed aluminum carb they are all priced at $319 at Summit with free shipping!
So I wanted to know what the pros and cons are of the  single feed versus the dual feed. Is there any cons with the aluminum carb?
Since they are all the same price, I am considering the dual feed aluminum carb (#80508SA).
Give me your opinions.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Ghoste

Under acceleration the dual feed keeps both bowls filled better.

Cooter

Automatic?
No or near stock stall?

Performance all out?
Drivability?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

66FBCharger

Quote from: Cooter on January 17, 2014, 10:31:02 PM
Automatic?
No or near stock stall?

Performance all out?
Drivability?
Cooter,
It is a 4 speed, 3.54 rear. As far as I know, the engine is stock with Hooker headers. It has the Edelbrock AFB and a stock intake. I don't care for the driveability of the Edelbrock. It has a hesitation during acceleration (part throttle as well as full throttle). I have been trying to get rid of it with the tuning kit Edelbrock sells. I think I need to go richer. I am tiring of messing with the carb. I don't race the car but I drive it as much as I can. We do throw the whole family in it and go to cruise nights and go to friends houses (45 minutes away).
Also, I don't know if the carb would cause this, but, it seems to wind up slower than I recall other Holley carbed engines do.
I know they are different engines but my wife's '73 'Cuda340 4 speed has a Holley 600 single feed vacuum secondaries. It runs really well. It has great throttle response, no hesitation, great idle. All the things I want for my Charger.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto

66FBCharger

That is the tool I used to get Holley's suggestions of the carbs to use. It seems to work well.

myk

I dunno, it recommended a 600cfm 'carb for me...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Ghoste

For the vast majority of cases that would be correct.

myk

I thought 440's should be running at least a 700-something?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Ghoste

Yes.  When I talk about vast majority of cases, that formula only accounts for cfm and rpm so for the thousands of aftermarket carb buyers out there its much safer for Holley to list it much the way an oem engineer would spec one out.  Small enough to give sharp response and large enough for spirited driving with an otherwise stock engine.  Certain engines will respond better to a larger carb because said engine can utilize the added airflow.  Kind of wordy but with a tendency for everyone to overcarb, its much smarter for Holley to supply a formula less likely to cause a lot of complaints about reduced performance.

twenty mike mike

If you still want a 80508SA, I have one with less than 50 miles, which I removed for TBI. I have the dual feed line, also.

PM if you're interested.

BSB67

That carb should be fine.

Based on your description, I think your car would respond very well to a Holley 750 double pump carb, 4779.  I have run both 750 and 800 DPs on very mild Bs and RBs with factory, or factory like dual plane manifolds and the motors liked it. 

If you are skilled or confidant with carbs, you can pick up a used 4779 for a good price and go through it.  If you are not, then you would probably be better off buying new.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

69wannabe

The 4779 or the 80508SA would both be a better choice than what you have on there. The holley will run better and be more fun to drive without the stumbles of a 750 AFB carb.

ACUDANUT

Holley 750 double pumper.  :cheers:
A  600 SERIES is  TO TOO SMALL.