News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 Charger Rim/Tire COMBO Fitment?!

Started by ajay716, January 18, 2014, 05:46:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajay716

hey guys i just spent all of the last 4 hrs looking up fitment for some new wheels for my 73 charger. this is what ive came up with, i just need to know if it will fit. here are the rims: http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/YokDriver/shot2.jpg
they will be with a 18 inch diameter and im guessing the best tire size would be 245/45/18 for the front and 275/45/18 for the back for a bigger traction patch obv. only problem is, they only come in 18x8.5. now i know that 9.5 or 10 would be better but thats also more expensive and the tire companies say that 275 would need at the minimum a 8.5 rim width so i should be okay, but lmk what you guys think...the thing that really concerns me though, is that the lowest offset i can get these is +20 with a 6.125 backspace....will these fit nicely? i really dont want either tire tucked in that far i actually like the look where its closer to the fender but please people chime in and let me know if this will fit or what might be a problem, im new to the mopar world still. thanks  :2thumbs:
1973 Charger SE Brougham Numbers Matching
400 C.i.

ajay716

400 C.i.

ajay716

come on 32 people have seen this but they havent had anything to say? i know people like at the most 17 but it will look good and i just need to know if it will fit, im just kind of in a hurry because they only have a few in stock so id like to see if it fits. please advise?
400 C.i.

moparguy01

I think the reason you aren't getting any posts is A. Not many people like seeing that big of the tire run on these cars, and B. Because not many people like it, nobody does it, so nobody has any idea what to answer that question with. Myself included.

I'm not dogging you for doing it, but I would have no idea what to tell you. If you want to know how big of a 15 will fit, then I can chime in with useful information.

I will say this, any GOOD tire shop should be able to help you select a wheel and tire combo that will work on your car. If they can't, you need a better tire shop. :Twocents:

JB400

For the record, some of the people that read our posts, are guests that get tallied onto the bean counter. 

To run those wheels with the backspacing close to the outside like that would take a lot of modifications.  On the back, you'd have to have a wider rear end that would put the axle flange out that far.  On the front, you'd have to have custom front suspension that moves the spindle out that far.  You'd also have to put in stiffer suspension because your wheels have more leverage and would bottom out your suspension at the slightest bump.

Option 2 is to just run wheel spacers that would move the wheels out that far.  Problem is, you could shear off your axle studs, and lose a wheel.  Not a fun experience.

ajay716

thanks for the replies finally, ive seen people with 17s with diameter that just about match mine, so as long as the diameters are close it should work right? ive seen people on here with 18s too i wish they would chime in...and i know other people know information...its kinda annoying that just because someone doesnt like my style that they wouldnt provide useful information, not bashing i just believe its kind of ignorant, thanks guys for the current answers but any other help would be appreciated like someone whos running 18s or even 17s with tires with the same diameter as my 18's with tires....please guys? i promise once i put them on theyll look good and you guys will be glad you gave me the right info  :cheers:

thanks again, alex.
400 C.i.

Wookie316

Here is a shot of mine with 17's. 17x8 front. 255/50R17 Nitto 555 and 17x9 rear. 295/45R17 MT's.

1971 Plum Crazy SupeBee. 400 bored and stroked to 511, 727 spinning a Dana 4.30

ajay716

WELL, I DECIDED!!! i ended up going with the mb motoring old school wheels in 18x8 0 offset with 4.5 backspacing(this is good right?) got them for a killer deal at 507, couldnt pass up, i then got a set of hankook ventus v12 245/45/18 for the front and 275/40/18 for the back, i know 275 will be pushing it  :slap: but it shouldnt be a problem.  :whistling: They are being mounted and ballanced as well for free. The thing is, i got this all for 1226, 650 for the tires that are at least 2013 production(isnt that killer?) and 507 for the set of brand new nice rims! the extra 100(25 per tire) came from the nice salesmen talking me into a warranty for the tires, that if one ever blows out or even gets a blemish or hole i can call and they will send a brand new tire, i did it because i was already thinking of spending about that and he already saved me hundreds. i will post pics of them when they get here and when i get them on the car, let me know what everyone thinks!!!

ps, i might be able to change if it i call tomorrow and get a 18x9 for the back but it is a +35 mm offset with a 6.5 backspace, will this push the wheel too far in and hit something? or just to hit the fender? i like the flush with the fender look so if with that offset and backspacing if it will make it flush and not hit let me know, also let me know if you think i should just stay with the same size. i know i say let me know alot but please do! i wanna know how i did :vert:
400 C.i.

Wookie316

6.5" is too much. It will rub. 5"-5 1/4" is usually max on a 3rd gen. Sometimes 5.5" will fit. Doctor Diff makes offset shackles for a 3rd gen B body that gives you an extra inch of back space.

They are for 71-72, not sure if they will fit a 73?
http://www.doctordiff.com/71-72-b-body-offset-spring-hanger-shackle-kit.html
1971 Plum Crazy SupeBee. 400 bored and stroked to 511, 727 spinning a Dana 4.30

74calicharger

reguarding your rim and tire choices - i have 17x8 4.5 bs 245/50 up front and 17x9 5 bs 275/50 out back. gotta say it is pretty close to wheel arch lip and maybe 1/2 to springs on the inside. just my experience but 6 1/2bs or 9 1/2 wide probably wont fit unless you do some work to the wheel wells. i think you are pretty much maxed with what you have

ajay716

well ive had them for a few days now i still have yet to lug them to the garage to see if they fit...after seeing your guy'ss posts im a little scared now ha
400 C.i.