News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'69 side marker brackets

Started by myk, January 21, 2014, 02:40:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk

Hey folks.  One of my front side marker brackets has lost one of its retaining nuts, but I'm unsure as to where I can find these things?  I would've been content just to buy something from a parts or hardware store, but nothing fits the odd pegs that are on the retaining brackets.  Additionally, I'm not even sure if I have the proper retainers/nuts on these brackets; anyone got a picture of what they're supposed to look like?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Ghoste

Got a picture of what you have? :nana:

I'll look around and see if I have a pic Myk. ;)

bill440rt

Found this pic, this is the complete package NOS.  :cheers:

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

myk

Oooo...definitely not the nuts I have on now.   :icon_smile_big:

Where can I buy the proper fasteners, assuming that the worn threads on my brackets will even take them?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Ghoste

66FBCharger

Probably any body shop supply store or R/T specialties most likely has these.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

myk

Ok, I just contacted R/T specialties to see if they could help me narrow down what specific pieces are necessary to retain the bracketry.  Just in case the threads on the brackets are worn/stripped, would I be able to re-thread the retaining pegs?

ws23rt

The original pegs did not have threads.  The nuts cut their own threads like a sheet metal screw cuts it's own threads.

If the post/peg has been stripped to the point an original nut will not grab then you need to go to the next smaller size nut. Or run a die nut down the post and use regular thread nut. The size depends on the post dia.

myk

I see.  Well I'll have to run a die nut I guess.  I'd rather have a regular thread/nut anyway...

Moparparts

I have some of those original acorn nuts and you can bend the edges of the hole back up slightly inside the nut so it goes on tighter but if your post is stripped that won't help

myk

I'll try ordering up those acorn nuts and give it a try.  Meanwhile, the retainers on the car now are "pal" nuts, from my understanding...

bill440rt

You could possibly try repairing the post by cleaning it up really good, and applying a layer or two of lead solder. That would give the acorn or speed nut something else to grab on to.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

myk

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.  Meanwhile, I installed new reflectors in the rear, and just to see if the OEM acorn nut/fastener would work up front, I screwed them on and they held the bracket PERFECTLY.   ::)

A383Wing

I made mine light up as well

myk

That's great!  What parts did you use? 

A383Wing

I cut off the part that the bulbs screw into from mid-70's markers and glued them to the 69 markers after I cut a hole in the back for light to shine through

so basically it's a 69 reflector with mid 70's backing for bulbs

fy469rtse

MYK you can get ones with LEDs now as well, direct fit to originally holes in fenders

myk

Quote from: A383Wing on February 16, 2014, 07:04:40 PM
I cut off the part that the bulbs screw into from mid-70's markers and glued them to the 69 markers after I cut a hole in the back for light to shine through

so basically it's a 69 reflector with mid 70's backing for bulbs

I was thinking something along those lines as well; thanks for clearing that up for me...

Quote from: fy469rtse on February 17, 2014, 12:32:50 AM
MYK you can get ones with LEDs now as well, direct fit to originally holes in fenders

DOH!  Lol I should've known...

A383Wing

LED's were not around when I did this to the car back in the mid-90's