News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

carter 750 carbs is 4966 a 750?

Started by sext7366, March 08, 2006, 12:53:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sext7366

I was going to buy a carter avs carb #4966 from a guy for cheap but I need at least a 750cfm can anyone offer a website or any other references for the size?

John_Kunkel

There were never any cfm specs published for OEM Carter carbs, those who quote cfm ratings are only guessing.

I am of the opinion that no OEM Carter single 4-barrel carb came anywhere near 750 cfm; others disagree.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Headrope

:iagree: Personally I hate messing around with carbs and think that buying them used is risky - who knows for sure what condition it's in, or how long it will go without needing a rebuild even if it works when you buy it?
If you need reliable 750 cfm and want piece of mind, just grab your ankles and grin through it while paying for a new carb. :Twocents:
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

Rocky

I don't agree with John or Headrope.  Plenty of 318's came with 800cfm TQ's and some even came with 850's.  If you aren't afraid of rebuilding and tuning a carb you can have an excellent carb for under $50 including the rebuild kit.

Of course a thermoquad is not as pretty as a carter, but for the price, you can't beat it.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Rocky on March 09, 2006, 07:16:00 AM
I don't agree with John or Headrope.  Plenty of 318's came with 800cfm TQ's and some even came with 850's.  If you aren't afraid of rebuilding and tuning a carb you can have an excellent carb for under $50 including the rebuild kit.

Of course a thermoquad is not as pretty as a carter, but for the price, you can't beat it.

Actually, the Thermoquad IS a Carter and you're correct, they did exceed 750 cfm but the original poster was referring to the square bore AFB/AVS style Carter and my comment was about those.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.