News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Easy to Start a Charger without the Key?: Fear of Getting Charger Stolen

Started by Crazy Larry, March 08, 2006, 08:08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy Larry

On another thread in the performance section, a member said his starter relay went and he bypassed it with a screwdriver to start it up.

Does this mean that all one has to do is use a piece of metal to bypass the relay, and connect the voltage to the starter terminal and badda-bing - your Charger fires up?

Now, I know that the Starter relay is right there, open to the world, mounted on the fire wall behind the driver's side valve cover. And I also know, that the Charger (at least in 1968) is a simple pull on the lever to open the hood.

This had me thinking - how safe is the Charger, when I turn it in for the night. Not having access to a Garage, I was trying to brainstorm on how best to keep it safe and sound. Besides lots of prayers - does anyone have any little anti-theft things they do to their Charger before leaving it out for the night?

In a world where these cars are soaring in value everyday (imagine what it will be like in 15 years) it is never to soon to think anti-theft.

How easy is it to start a Charger without a key and drive away - and is there something to do to make it more difficult (ie, keeping the ignition coil cable alongside your keys whenever you park the Charger)?

As always, this board's wisdom is very appreciated....

Crazy Larry

Well, in searching around the net, I found this out.....

http://www.americanautowire.com/products/Relay_Kits_and_Fan_Switches.cfm

UNIVERSAL RELAY KIT

• Anti-Theft Relay Kit:
Using this relay module you can disable the starter cranking circuit until an initial task associated with an existing switch is performed. A headlight switch, brake switch, or any hidden switch are just a few examples of the possible switches that are used to activate the override relay. Attempts to start the vehicle without performing the initial task can cause a horn or other item to be activated.

It looks like this can be modified to make an extra step that only you would know how to start your car up. It says "universal" with different terminal applications - so theoretically I should be able to modify this for the Mopar Starter Relay (that is listed right under it).

Maybe this thread belongs in Wiring and Electrical....oops again.... :icon_smile_blackeye:

BLACKWOLF

PUT IN A BATTERY CUTOFF SWITCH IN A HIDDEN AREA. MY FIRST CHARGER I MOUNTED ONE IN THE FLOOR BOARD IN FRONT OF MY DRIVER'S SEAT. WHEN YOU PARK IT, JUST REACH DOWN AND FLIP IT OFF. IT KILLS ALL OF THE JUICE FROM THE BATTERY.
I ONLY NEEDED KEYS TO UNLOCK THE STEERING WHEEL. I PUT A PUSH BUTTON AND A TOGGLE SWITCH INSIDE OF THE ASH TRAY WHERE THE CIGARETTE LIGHTER WAS. I MADE ALOT OF LUNCH MONEY FROM BETTING PEOPLE THAT THEY COULDN'T START MY CAR.
LINNY SMITH 73' CHARGER OWNER HPAC MEMBER NATIONAL STREET MACHINE CLUB LIFE MEMBER
I'M ON FACEBOOK

BLACKWOLF

LINNY SMITH 73' CHARGER OWNER HPAC MEMBER NATIONAL STREET MACHINE CLUB LIFE MEMBER
I'M ON FACEBOOK

plum500

I'm putting my battery in the trunk, and have a manual disconnect at the post -- just unscrew the green shutoff and take it with you.

Though I suppose anything can be stolen if someone wants it, but that will be enough inconvenience/deterance for my application....

bull

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: plum500 on March 08, 2006, 09:50:02 AM
I'm putting my battery in the trunk, and have a manual disconnect at the post -- just unscrew the green shutoff and take it with you.

Though I suppose anything can be stolen if someone wants it, but that will be enough inconvenience/deterance for my application....

Exactly what I did.

Much nicer than snagging the coil-distributor wire. :D
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

Crazy Larry

Those are all godd suggestions, I love the switch in the cigarette lighter - that rocks. :thumbs:

You guys are right about if a few guys with enough know-how want the car, they'll get the car - but what I want to deter is the petty guys who would be incovenienced by the Charger not starting up right away. I doubt, he'd break out his volt meter and start checking for continuity in the wiring system.

However, you don't want to be on a date and say "wait honey, I have to put this boot on the Charger before we go in to the movie" - that won't get you very far.  :o

Crazy Larry

Quote from: formula_440 on March 08, 2006, 01:29:05 PM

Much nicer than snagging the coil-distributor wire. :D

But the little "pop" sound it makes when you pull it off the distributor is cool  :P

chrisII

its pretty simple to hot wire any pre colum lock mopar. not sure what year the colum locks started, but i am thinking my 69 coronet had the dash mounted switch, i may be wrong on this..either way a simple piece of wire with 2 alagator clips, one to the pos post of the batt, the second to the balast resistor (+ side of the coil will work for a while). now stick a screwdriver between the big post and small post on the starter to crank it over (or jump the firewall relay) and VROOOM it starts right up. supplying power direct to the ballast will work on mopar elec ign or points systems.

now before anyone starts thinkin im a car thief , im not but i have had to use this trick to get a couple parts cars running. these ignition systems arent rocket science, why do you think they invented the colum lock.

Crazy Larry

Quote from: chrisII on March 08, 2006, 08:30:26 PM
its pretty simple to hot wire any pre colum lock mopar. not sure what year the colum locks started, but i am thinking my 69 coronet had the dash mounted switch, i may be wrong on this..either way a simple piece of wire with 2 alagator clips, one to the pos post of the batt, the second to the balast resistor (+ side of the coil will work for a while). now stick a screwdriver between the big post and small post on the starter to crank it over (or jump the firewall relay) and VROOOM it starts right up. supplying power direct to the ballast will work on mopar elec ign or points systems.

now before anyone starts thinkin im a car thief , im not but i have had to use this trick to get a couple parts cars running. these ignition systems arent rocket science, why do you think they invented the colum lock.

Which is why I am starting to gravitate towards the electrical system kill switch - the only hang-up on that idea would be if I wanted to install a modern radio/CD player, the digital clock would reset every time the anti-theft device is activated.

small price for safety though

plum500

Anyway you could have a low powered nicad or lithium 12vs to keep the clock alive when not in use -- use a 2 way switch so when you are in kill mode, have them on the clock -- when live, have them recharge...

Crazy Larry

Quote from: plum500 on March 08, 2006, 11:14:00 PM
Anyway you could have a low powered nicad or lithium 12vs to keep the clock alive when not in use -- use a 2 way switch so when you are in kill mode, have them on the clock -- when live, have them recharge...

Wow - great idea. I'd have to sort out a wiring diagram but that sounds like a good plan.

hemihead

Even with the advent of the column lock in 70 it doesn't stop anyone.If someone really wants the car they are going to take it.Some products may slow thieves down but if the product is for sale on the market,theives already know about it and have it figured out already.Besides,they don't need the whole car anyway,the parts are worth enough by themselves.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Aero426

Quote from: hemihead on March 09, 2006, 06:03:58 AM
Even with the advent of the column lock in 70 it doesn't stop anyone.If someone really wants the car they are going to take it.Some products may slow thieves down but if the product is for sale on the market,theives already know about it and have it figured out already.Besides,they don't need the whole car anyway,the parts are worth enough by themselves.

Agreed.   I'd be more worried about the car being simply dragged off by a tow truck, or onto a flatbed.   Column lock or not, after watching those repo shows on TV, it happens awfully fast by someone who knows what they are doing.

psykicpup

hubby locked the keys in the car a few months ago & one of the guys reckoned he could gert in any car within 2 mins... 1hr later he was getting a bit stressed
my daughter & boyfriend 'Sunny Sunday'

DFPA and proud of it!

Wakko

Get a GPS system!!!  If you notice the car missing you can log on, find it and call the cops before they hack it up.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

resq302

Quote from: Steve P. on March 10, 2006, 04:26:59 AM
Any method is better than no method...

LO-JACK*

The problem with Lo-Jack is that not every police department has it.  Lo-Jack requires a lot of labor installing the system into a police car which is the reason why most police departments do not get it even though it is free to police departments.  With the antennas being so sensitive for the system for police cars and the time that a department has a patrol car for, it is usually not worth it to the police departments to get a lo-jack system installed into a car.  My squad puts on a car, on average between 60-120 miles a shift, multiply that by 2 as we work 12 hour shifts.  The miles rack up pretty quickly.  We probably replace a patrol car once every two to three years due to the mileage and the abuse they get.  Lets face it.... most of the time they are idling, which is the worst thing a car can do.

As stated before, if a thief wants your car bad enough, regardless of alarm systems, clubs, wheel locks, ignition cut offs, etc, they will steal your car if they want it.  The only type of security system for a car which I have seen that works is one that has a machine gun pop up when the alarm is triggered, does a 360 firing off rounds, and then resets.  However, that probably will never be seen by the general public due to laywers being around.   :icon_smile_big: 
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Arthu®

Why not just make an switched electronic fuel pump? The car would start right up but also die right away. But you can't really do all that much besides the lo-jack system to prevent crooks from putting it on a trailer.

Arthur
Striving for world domination since 1986

Steve P.

Yup, the more you can do to prevent THE THEFT of your car the better. The LO-JACK may just help get it back... 

Running it out of gas is a good idea for the every day wanna be. He, (or she), will get down the street with it but as soon as he, (or she), hits that nervous peddle the car will nose over and leave them dry..

You know everyone notices your car out in traffic!!
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Charger_Fan

The main problem with plucking the coil wire off is that eventually, you'll wear it out & it will possibly leave you stranded somewhere...besides, any halfway decent thief will carry his own spare coil wire in his pocket.

The hidden kill switch & fuel cut-off ideas are good, plus a Lo-Jack & I figure you've got 90% of the average thieves ideas covered. The only ones who wouldn't be outsmarted by any of that stuff would be the real pro's...the kind that rip off Ferarri's & stuff.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Wakko

Quote from: resq302 on March 10, 2006, 07:21:38 AM
The problem with Lo-Jack is that not every police department has it.  Lo-Jack requires a lot of labor installing the system into a police car which is the reason why most police departments do not get it even though it is free to police departments.  With the antennas being so sensitive for the system for police cars and the time that a department has a patrol car for, it is usually not worth it to the police departments to get a lo-jack system installed into a car. 

LoJack down here comes to your house and installs the system in the car while you're inside drinkin' beers.  I don't think it takes that long either.    We have three Lojack cars on each shift and in each of our helos. 
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Skyview69

Doesn't the key need to be in the on position before you can jump the relay to start it????

I just tried my 71 and that is the only way it will start that way.  If the key is in the off posistion it will just crank over.  When you turn the key to the on position and then jump the relay it fires up!

Lunger

one way to scare them off is leave it open headers, lol it will wake all in a 3 mile radius. Or put a stick on Ford logo on it, no one steals that junk.
BULL OF THE WOODS