News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Big Block EFI kits

Started by 66FBCharger, January 28, 2014, 08:06:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

Do any members have EFi installed on their big blocks? What kit did you use? How do you like the kit's performance? How difficult was it to install? How was it to tune? How was the price? Was the kit complete? How long to install? Would you recommend this kit? Can you please post some pictures?
I know this is a lot of questions but I would like to consider EFI in the future for my wife's 340 and my 440.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Cooter

IMO stay with the port set ups. T Body set ups are limited on intake design.
Unless you just wanna say it's injected, T body injected. Is nothing but an electronic carb. Way too much money for far too little return.

However, im working on a port inj. Set up for a 440 using junkyard stuff. Mainly, a sequential processor (EEK4).
No pics, but port set ups are insanely expensive.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

MSRacing89

Quote from: Cooter on January 28, 2014, 12:40:11 PM
IMO stay with the port set ups. Body set ups are limited on intake design.
Unless you just wanna say it's injected, T body injected. Is nothing but an electronic carb. Way too much money for far too little return.

However, im working on a port inj. Set up for a 440 using junkyard stuff. Mainly, a sequential processor (EEK4).
No pics, but port set ups are insanely expensive.

It's not for everyone.

We run the EZ EFI 1.0 system with great success.  Lots of track time, street time, etc, and it has been nothing short of impressive.  No stalling issues, no issues with temperature or elevation, and it is self learning/ adjusting system.  We make adjustments on the fly.

It is not cheap and there are very minimal gains in fuel mileage unless you are on a long run.  We are a good $3k+ into ours, but I simply could not imagine doing what we do to the car without it.

The 2.0 system we have on the shelf has 8 injectors, digital timing control, etc, etc.    
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1203phr_1968_dodge_charger/index.html

'68 Charger 440, 11:1, ported Stealth Heads, Lunati voodoo 60304, 3.23 gear, Mulit-port EZ-EFI, Gear Vendors OD and Tallon Hydroboost.

Finn

I run an older Edelbrock 3509 EFI. My biggest issue with it (by far) is it isn't self tuning. If you're going to get one, make sure it is self tuning.  I can post most on it later once I get off work.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

c00nhunterjoe

Why are you leaning towards efi? Just tune the holley correctly once and youre set for a long time. Mine starts chokeless in any weather at any given time. I just started mine during pa's -16 wind chill storm without issue.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on January 30, 2014, 11:34:28 PM
Why are you leaning towards efi? Just tune the holley correctly once and youre set for a long time. Mine starts chokeless in any weather at any given time. I just started mine during pa's -16 wind chill storm without issue.

Maybe he wants more convenience? 

Cooter

It's the latest thing. Just like anything else that not everybody has yet due to the cost, just like a Hemi.
Once everybody has it, then, the novelty will die down.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Brads70

I bought a STR-14 intake with the thought of someday converting it to a (somewhat) hidden EFI system. FAST seems the way to go?
http://www.fuelairspark.com/

66FBCharger

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on January 30, 2014, 11:34:28 PM
I was figuring the driveability would be better and I would get a little better fuel mileage.
I have to admit not waiting for the choke to come off before leaving the driveway is nice.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Dino

I'm happy with how my car runs and very happy with how the thermoquad turned out.  It's a little harder to start up when it's real cold without a choke and blocked crossover but nothing to bad.  Besides these things warm up pretty fast.

That said, if I can get my hands on a full sequential system like redmist made, I'll be all over it.  I like having my car work in the most efficient way possible so one day I'll have to get me something like that.  I want the T56 first though.   :icon_smile_big:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.