News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

dirt track suspension setup

Started by Lightning, March 08, 2006, 03:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lightning

I'm trying to build a drift/rally car out of my M-body (an ongoing project for those that follow my crazy ideas)
and the best thing that would be closest to set up would be a dirt track stock car.  I'm planning on switching to a B-body suspension sometime within the next 6 months using Moog's HD rubber bushings and ball joints, but as far as sway bars, rear springs and torsion bars go, I'm at a loss.  Does anybody have any ideas or setup tips for essentially keeping with the "stock" B-body suspension?
when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.

Mike DC

Interesting topic.

Just as some general feedback, you're probably gonna want to look outside the Mopar world on this one.  Seems like virtually everything the hobby deals with is drag racing, at least partially.  Even when someone wants better handling on a Mopar, it seems to me like they're usually still operating with 70% concern for straightline performance.  The most "different" thing they're doing is that they've decided not to purposely compromise the front suspension just for drag-racing gains.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The way I see it, drifting on asphalt and rallying in the dirt are two different worlds.  The dirt car will probably cry out for a softer suspension with rubber bushings, whereas the drifter will want something much tighter/lower/thicker swaybars.

Either way, a lighter engine is a big plus.  (Not only a smallblock, but prerefably a smallblock with aluminum heads/intake/water pump.)  Anything that takes weight off the front end is good. 

Anything that locates the rear axle laterally is good too.  Adding a Panhard bar to the rear end is a classic way to locate the rear axle (although a Watts Link is more mechcanically ideal).

Chryco Psycho

i assume you are going to add the rear crossmember & use a std length T bar allowing numerous options for T bars size also the Std K Frame has option larger sway bars availble for m numerous sources as well
you could get 1" or larger T bars & add a 1" + swab bar with poly endlink bushings

Lightning

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on March 09, 2006, 02:16:23 AM
i assume you are going to add the rear crossmember & use a std length T bar allowing numerous options for T bars size also the Std K Frame has option larger sway bars availble for m numerous sources as well
you could get 1" or larger T bars & add a 1" + swab bar with poly endlink bushings

that was the direction I was leaning.

when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.