News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird Conversion Kit??

Started by bobs66440, February 01, 2014, 06:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobs66440

My buddy just bought a '70 Roadrunner and plans on doing a Superbird conversion. Can you guys recommend a particular kit that that is good quality and price? Thanks!  :2thumbs:

daytonalo

I think he bought the wrong car to start with

bobs66440

Quote from: daytonalo on February 01, 2014, 06:51:23 PM
I think he bought the wrong car to start with
I'm sorry, it's a '70. My bad. I fixed it.

Lighthorseman

Ha ha.  I think Daytonalo meant he's supposed to have started with a Charger - and be putting together a Daytona.   :D

If he's looking for a complete kit to do the conversion, I don't think he'll be in luck.  There are quite a few suppliers who can help out, though.  Some of the toughest parts to find, in my experience, are decent 1970 Coronet fenders.  No-one reproduces these, so you have to look for 43 year old pieces, or go with fiberglass - not recommended by many here.  Just about every piece, however, between all the various suppliers, is out there to do the conversion.  Plan on a few years and some BIG dollars.

...And post pictures!   :2thumbs:

bobs66440

Quote from: Lighthorseman on February 01, 2014, 07:09:34 PM
Ha ha.  I think Daytonalo meant he's supposed to have started with a Charger - and be putting together a Daytona.   :D
Ha ha! Ok. I get it  :lol:  I'll keep you posted...

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

70daytonaclone

is the stinger kit a recommended set up to buy? I was just wondering how well it would
hold up under viberation? thanks for the interesting link. Has anybody used one of these lately?
Nice Info thanks. Jamie

billssuperbird

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

farm966

Just a word of advice, do not buy your kit from Show Cars out of Canada. I have plenty of first hand knowledge dealing with them. I would use Stinger, the price is right. Plan on doing lots of finish work with whatever kit you get...not everything lines up. It took me a couple of years and lots of money due to the fact I had to pay someone to redo the stuff from ShowCars.

wingcar

When I ordered Daytona parts from Showcars back before Al Gore and the Internet....they were the only one's offering wingcar parts.  What I received from them was Superbird parts.  Even though they had both the Daytona and Superbird in their catalog....they responded with..."we thought they were the same parts".   To their credit they did give me a refund on the headlight assemblies which were pure junk and unusable.  I wouldn't deal with them a second time based on all the bad feedback I have heard over the past few years. 
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

bobs66440

Thanks for all the replies. He ended up ordering through Winged Warriors. We'll see what happens...

hotrod98

A few months ago I offered for sale on this site a very, very nice southern matching numbers 70 Roadrunner along with a set of rust free coronet fenders, a Superbird hood built from a 70 coronet hood and fiberglass extension and a fiberglass nose that DonC made for me several years ago. The gentleman that bought the car has ordered some of the stuff needed to finish the car from Ted Janek.  I'm going to help guide him through the conversion process with recommendations on other parts needed. I think this car is going to be one of the nicest Superbird clones on the road. I recommended Janek's wing because his wings are by far the nicest fiberglass wings I've ever seen. It has aluminum inserts and has an aluminum piece running all of the way through the blade. It won't warp. The blade bolts to the uprights aluminum to aluminum.
I'm anxious to see this car completed.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams