News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Swapping a stroker Hemi into a Superbird: step by step with pictures!

Started by 70Sbird, February 07, 2014, 10:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70Sbird

The whole process of lifting, bolting and dropping took about an hour, only because we were going very slowly and eased, wiggled and shoehorned the engine in place. The good news is that a fully assembled Hemi can be be installed from the bottom without taking the car or engine back apart.  :2thumbs:
Some patience and a couple of extra hands also help!

Scott Faulkner

ACUDANUT

70Sbird

Scott Faulkner

70Sbird

I'm not gonna lie, I was a bit nervous about this stage of the swap and it was definitely a time of celebration when we got the 4 K frame bolts and trans crossmember bolts in place and unhooked the hoist!
:cheers:

Scott Faulkner

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

70Sbird

I hear he plays a great hemi Delivery boy  
[/quote]

That yellow lifting strap looks familiar...The delivery guy looks kinda sketchy though :D

Scott Faulkner

70Sbird

With the engine now sitting in the car all that really needed to be done was to hook everything up and finish the suspension. The steering box is a Firm Feel stage II box and he also opted for heavier Torsion bars and HD rear leaf springs. Here are just a couple of shots of the installed t-bars and installing the rear leafs.

The last picture is the reproduction "H" pipe. Here you can see another frustration I had with reproduction part quality. There was no way to hook mufflers to this pipe as it was cocked so far to the passenger side. I had reproduction mufflers, tailpipes with resonators and clamps, all sitting right next to the car ready to go, but with the front of the system being so far out of whack and the tips being backordered for an eternity, I never put the full exhaust on. The plan was for me to deliver the car as turn-key back to the owner, this issue killed that plan. But....I did drive it to the alignment shop like this and take it out for a couple of "test and tune" rides...My neighbors were again impressed!

Scott Faulkner

ACUDANUT

70Sbird

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 28, 2014, 02:42:24 PM
Did have jack stands in the rear ? I sure hope so. :2thumbs:
yes, I dont trust floor jacks!
The body was supported by jackstands, the floor jack was just holding up the side of the axle where we had pulled off the leaf spring

Scott Faulkner

ernie

pettybird