News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

car just died.

Started by CFMopar, August 07, 2005, 09:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CFMopar

Kinda weird. Car just died tonight on the way home. Almost as if it was out of fuel (i just filled up prior and their was no stumbling).  Full power and everything but it just died. I put it in netural and it fired right up again. Got home looked under the hood at my fuel psi gauge and it was reading 0 psi. Went and got some tools and came back and it was up to 7 psi again. Fuel pump also sounds quieter than when I first got it....... Any ideas?

Its a black fuel pump I dont think its an actually holley but its got all the same specs as the holley black.
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

firefighter3931

Could be a couple of things:

Vapour lock
Clogged fuel filter
Loose wiring on the pump
Defective pump

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

CFMopar

Ill check the wires. I dont think its a clogged filter because its brand new in a new tank with all new lines. Doubt its vapor lock. Its gotta be pretty hot for that does it not? Its fairly cool and Ive never had that problem when it was warmer.
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

andy74

same thing happened to me a few weeks ago,the wiring to the pump had a loose ground connection and quit-poked around and it came back on,id check that

myk

I had that problem also.  It's too bad that the old threads from the other forum aren't available.  I chased engine grounds and possible problems with wires, caps, rotors and coils.  Ultimately, I found out that the pickup/reluctor in my electronic dizzy was crapping out on me and causing the car to drop dead in mid-stride...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

MTPOCKET

Has to be a  loose connection to pump or from pump maybe frayed wire.

70plumrt

my truck use to die out on me like that...
it would be hard to get running, but the longer it sat (cooling down) the faster it would fire up
everytime a mechanic looked at it the next day, they would say there's no problem
turns out the fuel pump altogether was the problem
like everyone else here, i'd say check out all the wiring first

Chryco Psycho

there is a bypass in the pump , if any dirt gets in there it will stick wide open & just bypass not pump , possibly when you shut it off the dirt cleared & the bypass closed again