News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

DIY voltmeter mod for 2nd gen Chargers

Started by Dino, February 25, 2014, 02:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Even though I have not finished this project myself, I did enough to see that it will work and look stock in your dash.

The nice thing about this mod is that it is cheap to do and it requires absolutely no modification to your stock parts.  You can use several gauges for this but with some you will likely have to cut into the cluster.  I bought an Auto Gage 2356 because it is the smallest.  $22 shipped to my door, that's not much of an investment.   :2thumbs:

I do not have pictures of the entire process but it should be relatively straight forward.  Ask if something is not clear.
Start by taking the voltmeter apart.  Remove the bracket and bezel so all you have left is the gauge itself.  In order to remove the housing, the pinched bezel holding the lens needs to come off.  It's very thin so you can cut it with snips or bend the edge so the whole thing comes off.  Either way, it'll be toast so discard.  Unscrew the housing and remove the guts.
The needle is real sturdy but let's not tempt it either; while holding the needle in the middle, stuff some balled up masking tape to either side on the bottom to keep it there.  You'll see what I'm talking about.  It will make the rest of the process much easier.  Remove the two tiny screws and the gauge face and set them aside, you will need these later.

I did not want to take apart a perfectly good ammeter so I used a spare temperature gauge face and needle as donor parts.  It's all you need so if you don't have these parts look for used ones or use your existing gauge, it's up to you.  I ground away the back of the rivets so the face came off the stock gauge housing.  I then secured the rivets from the back with a drop of super glue.  From the front the rivets still look as if they were secured.  I drilled two small holes real close to them, 1-1/4" apart to match the new gauge.  You are going to use those small screws to secure the stock gauge face to the new voltmeter.  You will have to grab some tin snips and cut away a small portion of the face to clear the wound copper wire.   When the screws go in, they just hit the side of the rivets.  This is all out of sight once the gauge is installed by the way so don't worry if you need to drill a third hole to line it all up.   ;)

Now you can secure the stock face to the new gauge.  Test fit the gauge in the housing and bolt it in.  Ideally you remove a small amount of the plastic around the studs so it sits a bit deeper and more secure in the cluster, but it will work as is.  I think the new gauge moves the whole thing about 3 mm toward you so if that's a big deal to you, remove it from the back.  Honestly, once the plastic lens covered all the gauges, it looked perfectly fine!

I grabbed a pic of the ammeter face online, opened it in Gimp, use whatever editing software you like, and started changing it.  I used Volts first by the way.  I removed the markings and left only the arch, inverted the color and printed it in true size.  I then glued it to the face, bolted the voltmeter's gauge face to that and copied the markings.  I removed the printed face and overlaid that on my laptop screen and adjusted the size to match so I could transfer the markings in the photo editing software.  Hey it worked!  :lol:
I took the alternator picture and used the markings, letters, and numbers to make a new gauge face.  I printed one in black, stuck it on the gauge and used a few batteries to create a few different voltages.  I hooked up a multimeter and got pretty damn close!
The voltmeter's needle is pretty broad and has a sharp crease in the middle.  In order to superglue the stock needle onto it, you need to grab a dremel or small file and flatter the needle a bit.  You also want to make the tip narrower so the new needle covers it completely.  I have not done all of this yet myself but included a pic of the needle with some shaven off.  I used masking tape run right under the needle to support the weight of the dremel spinning.  Worked fine so don't worry about breaking it.  I did end up finding another needle in great shape so I'll glue it on later.  I also noticed the ammeter needle is bigger than the others.  The spare needles I have are like the other three so now they will all look the same.  Nothing wrong with that but again, it's up to you.
Now all I have to do is paint the gauge face in a white that matches the lettering on the other gauges and I need to print the black part of the face on some type of decal paper.  Add them all up and we have one very nice voltmeter that looks like it came with the car!   :2thumbs:

The new gauge face is not finished yet but feel free to grab it and make it your own.

Almost forgot...

It's very easy to line up the gauge in the cluster.  Make it so it's snug but easy to move by hand.  Take a ruler and lay it flush with the underside of whatever word you used on the gauge face.  If you lined it up exactly as where 'alternator' used to be then the underside of volts or battery or whatever will line up with the top side of 'oil pressure'.  All of the words on the 4 small gauges are staggered exactly by the height of the letters.  Put the clear lens in place to figure out the final adjustment, tighten it down and done!

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Dino

more

Dino

one more

tan top

:coolgleamA:  :2thumbs:  awesome job   :bow:  :yesnod:  clever !!    going to re do mine now , with the word battery  :P  

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Charger4404spd

Nice job, would like to see a pic of cluster after you install it! :2thumbs:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Charger4404spd on February 25, 2014, 03:48:18 PM

X2

PS---how are you going to make the needle longer to match the other gauges?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

will

Wanna make one for me. I see a business venture...

Dino

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on February 25, 2014, 07:09:07 PM
Quote from: Charger4404spd on February 25, 2014, 03:48:18 PM

X2

PS---how are you going to make the needle longer to match the other gauges?

A stock gauge needle will be glued on top of the short needle after it is filed down slightly. 

Pete in NH

Hi Dino,

Great work and very clever! You certainly have pointed the way forward on doing a voltmeter conversion at a reasonable cost. Hopefully, others will follow your lead on this conversion and being able to use high current alternators safely.

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Carrnutt

Very Cool! :2thumbs: 

Awesome job on the write up as well  :cheers:
1969 Rest-O-Fied Charger 383HP, Disc brake conversion, electronic ignition.
1993 D350 Curmmins
2006 Magnum R/T AWD
2003 Ram 3500 Cummins

Dino

Thanks guys  :2thumbs:

The gauge face you see in the pics with the multimeter is just printed paper.  I doubt my cheap printer is going to do a good job on decal paper so I'm going to take some decal paper to work and try the big printer.  When I put the gauge in the cluster as is, it's almost impossible to tell it's not real so I have high hopes for the final product. 

I'll keep you guys posted.

twodko

So Dino,
When can I expect my new gauge? Do you take paypal? 70 virgins? Bit coins? VC combat pajamas?
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Dino

Quote from: twodko on February 27, 2014, 12:13:37 PM
So Dino,
When can I expect my new gauge? Do you take paypal? 70 virgins? Bit coins? VC combat pajamas?

How many out of that list can I pick?   :icon_smile_big:

Here's the pic of the gauge in the cluster but a few things to note.  The decal is just a piece of cheap printer paper made with a cheap printer and is all pixelated and wobbly.  It was just a test piece to make sure the volt readings were accurate.  The gauge is also not bolted tight in there either so it's off a bit.

Imagine this in your dash with a proper decal and I doubt anyone will ever notice.  

Oh yes and I still have not stuck the stock needle on there either. 

tan top

Quote from: Dino on February 28, 2014, 12:51:22 PM
Quote from: twodko on February 27, 2014, 12:13:37 PM
So Dino,

How many out of that list can I pick?   :icon_smile_big:

Here's the pic of the gauge in the cluster but a few things to note.  The decal is just a piece of cheap printer paper made with a cheap printer and is all pixelated and wobbly.  It was just a test piece to make sure the volt readings were accurate.  The gauge is also not bolted tight in there either so it's off a bit.

Imagine this in your dash with a proper decal and I doubt anyone will ever notice.  

Oh yes and I still have not stuck the stock needle on there either.  

nice work !! awesome job  :coolgleamA: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
done the same with the printer paper  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Dino

Quote from: cdr on February 28, 2014, 02:28:34 PM
found this.they have in all colors

http://www.whitegauges.net/products/1968%252d1970-Dodge-Charger-Volts-Overlay.html

Not bad at all, I would probably get one of those if it said battery.  The scale is a bit strange but it works!

TexasGeneral

Dino, thanks.. I'm gonna do this to mine..  :2thumbs:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Dino on February 28, 2014, 02:30:56 PM

http://www.whitegauges.net/products/1968%252d1970-Dodge-Charger-Volts-Overlay.html

Not bad at all, I would probably get one of those if it said battery.  The scale is a bit strange but it works!

Dino, I currently have email correspondence going with Amie from Whitegauges.net asking them about being able to change their wording from "Volts" to "Battery"....they are saying they should be able to do it.  I also referred them to this thread.
Will keep all posted
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Dino

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on March 03, 2014, 04:54:00 PM
Quote from: Dino on February 28, 2014, 02:30:56 PM

Dino, I currently have email correspondence going with Amie from Whitegauges.net asking them about being able to change their wording from "Volts" to "Battery"....they are saying they should be able to do it.  I also referred them to this thread.
Will keep all posted

Wow thanks Chris!   :2thumbs:  That would be the easiest way to go for most people.   :yesnod:

moparsr2fast

Nice job Dino!  This will come in especially handy since my alternator is directly charging the battery, bypassing the main harness, and throwing the amp gauge off.   :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
Bob

70 Charger 500
     2001 Ram 2500 Sport
        2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
  2006 Dodge Charger Daytona

Dino

Quote from: moparsr2fast on March 03, 2014, 08:35:03 PM
  Nice job Dino!  This will come in especially handy since my alternator is directly charging the battery, bypassing the main harness, and throwing the amp gauge off.   :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Yep it won't read right that way so might as well disconnect the whole thing and make it a voltmeter.   :icon_smile_big:    :2thumbs:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Whitegauges.net is making me a decal overlay with the "Battery" wording for $10 shipped.   Ill post up pics when I get it.
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Dino

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on March 11, 2014, 05:47:51 PM
Whitegauges.net is making me a decal overlay with the "Battery" wording for $10 shipped.   Ill post up pics when I get it.

Great!  I was hoping something would come of this as I really don't care to make this thing myself, I'm busy enough as it is!   :lol: 
I'm dying to see it.  Do you happen know what grading they will be using?  Same as the volt version with only the word changed?  If they use the stock font then $10 is pretty hard to beat either way.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Yes the same scale.   Anything over 13 will be a good enough indication for me ;)

I got it with the stock black background & white lettering...supposed to be same font..

This is their white version

Chris' '69 Charger R/T