News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Junk in the trunk(Battery Relocation)

Started by 2Luke2, March 02, 2014, 09:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2Luke2

We are in the process of mounting out battery in the trunk, but we wanted to ask if we should also go ahead and install a remote starter solenoid while we are at it. We read that one of the pros to that setup would be that the long wire running from the battery to the starter would only be hot during engine cranking. So we thought it might be a good idea, but wanted to get some more opinions before we made any final plans.

Carrnutt

I've heard the same, however wouldn't you still need to have a constant live wire running to front of the car? I would think that due to the distance, the wire would need to be of a good gauge size due to the power drop over distance and therefore still be capable of carrying a decent amount of current through it. Especially if it shorted nearer to the battery. Unless you don't plan on using the alternator to charge the battery and use it to power everything else in the car :shruggy:.

I would certainly place a fuse at the battery and even a main disconnect switch near it. That would also enable the power wires to only carry power when you want. The only things on these cars I could think of that would require constant power when the car isn't in use would be the clock and radio memory if so equipped and desired.

Merely my thoughts and opinions :Twocents:, I'm sure there are more knowledgeable people on this subject.
1969 Rest-O-Fied Charger 383HP, Disc brake conversion, electronic ignition.
1993 D350 Curmmins
2006 Magnum R/T AWD
2003 Ram 3500 Cummins

2Luke2

Yea we aren't sure how it would work, but I guess we need to do more reading. We looked a wire gauge chart for our powermaster  starter and we ended up getting some 2/0 welding cable(this stuff is THICK) haha... Anyway it should be more than enough to carry the load. We have the connectors on the way and we are going to solder them and not crimp them. I guess we will let you know how it turns out. :)

Hopefully someone will save us from blowing up our battery or burning the car down with some insightful information. If not it's trial by error for us!  :slap: :slap: