News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 daytona with 304 miles

Started by BigBlockSam, March 10, 2006, 12:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBlockSam

hey
   everytime i see this car it makes me sad. these cars where made to go 200 miles an hour. not sit in a garage for all it's life. i would put tons of miles on any wing car i own. Rene

**Inactive Link Removed**
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

694spdRT

I thought in the other discussion on this car it was decided the car was black and painted the current color later. Now, in the auction, it is claimed to be F6 spring green metallic?

By the looks of the trunk and door vin I still say it was a factory black car.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Ghoste

Well, so far no bids and only a week to go.  Better hurry because if it was a Hemi, it'd be over a million.

BigBlockSam

your rite if you look at the trunk , it looks like the car was black. how about some more pictures.  Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

Aero426

Quote from: BigBlockSam on March 10, 2006, 05:17:12 PM
your rite if you look at the trunk , it looks like the car was black. how about some more pictures.  Rene

It is an original black car that the small town Wisconsin dealer painted Limelight while it was still on MSO.  The original dealer disliked muscle cars and felt the only way he could sell the car was to paint it a bright color.    After they did this, they went down to the local department store and got some black on white mailbox letters for the D A Y T O N A on the stripe.   In the mid 1970's, the car was repainted a second time.

694spdRT

Exactly, so why does that not get disclosed in the sale ad? I don't think F6 even looks like that, seems to be a more of a slime lime to me.  IMO, for a $440,000 asking price the history of the car should be explained better.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

nascarxx29

The car is on a few other websites for sale.My theory on this is. From what Ive seen these cars are on a revolving door platform.They show up get bidded high.And not met the untold reserve .Go back off the radar screen for a period.And make a comeback sooner or later.Been trying to keep up with the newest to oldest entry of what cars are on the online classifieds.And see if we have any new ones.Or just the same ones making another round.
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

hemigeno

Quote from: 694spdRT on March 10, 2006, 05:34:10 PM
Exactly, so why does that not get disclosed in the sale ad? I don't think F6 even looks like that, seems to be a more of a slime lime to me.  IMO, for a $440,000 asking price the history of the car should be explained better.

$440k is just the opening price - it was previously listed at over $600k elsewhere, so I would guess the reserve to be a whole lot higher than $440k.  They are attempting to capitalize on the car's ultra-low mileage rather than the excellent paint job, although I agree that the car's pedigree isn't explained very well.  I suppose that since the car was painted by the dealer in that color, the seller is considering it to be "correct" or "original" even though that is highly debateable (I personally consider this a black car).  Like Doug mentioned, the color is 1970 Limelight, which is a far cry from F6.

As with any car that floats across eBay, asking a certain price and getting it are two totally different things.

Ghoste

It is probably linked to nascarxx29's theory.  Some of these cars are being floated across a number of sites and it's being done by brokers who are doing the same thing with a variety of cars all of which they know little to nothing except for the fact that they've promised the owners a huge sale and if they don't get it, they'll lose the commission.

694spdRT

Quote from: hemigeno on March 10, 2006, 09:21:41 PM
Quote from: 694spdRT on March 10, 2006, 05:34:10 PM

$440k is just the opening price - it was previously listed at over $600k elsewhere, so I would guess the reserve to be a whole lot higher than $440k.  They are attempting to capitalize on the car's ultra-low mileage rather than the excellent paint job, although I agree that the car's pedigree isn't explained very well.  I suppose that since the car was painted by the dealer in that color, the seller is considering it to be "correct" or "original" even though that is highly debateable (I personally consider this a black car).  Like Doug mentioned, the color is 1970 Limelight, which is a far cry from F6.

As with any car that floats across eBay, asking a certain price and getting it are two totally different things.

I think they were asking $675,000 for it so the reserve is probably way up there.  Maybe most of the serious buyers already know the history on this car. If I were an owner of such a high dollar car the description or broker selling it should try and market it a little better, or at least correctly, to maximize profit. I bet there are still a few potential buyers out there questioning the quoted F6 color on a "original" 300 mile car. To me the color change does not take a lot away from the value as long as it is well documented and explained. I guess we will see what the Ebay market says it is worth.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

Ghoste

True, but there are also a lot of collectors out there who do not take much personal interest in the car.  Not that they don't necessarily love the car, just that it may be a very small part of their day to day thinking.  Someone is paid to look after it and that's the extent of it.  I don't know that this car falls under that heading but it may be possible.

BigBlockSam

everybodies trying to cash out. but there greedy. yes it's a rare car. not an original hemi car. not even original paint.  yes low miliage. i think he should buy some gas and fill a cooler, then go for a long ride in his daytona and enjoy the car . Rene

hemigeno

Quote from: BigBlockSam on March 11, 2006, 03:10:47 AM
everybodies trying to cash out. but there greedy. yes it's a rare car. not an original hemi car. not even original paint.  yes low miliage. i think he should buy some gas and fill a cooler, then go for a long ride in his daytona and enjoy the car . Rene

:smilielol:    :thumbs:

69_500

Car has a great history as always being very low mileage. I think a collector should purchase the car, and keep it in the same color scheme it is now. considering it has worn these colors for 36 years longer than it wore the origional black.

Ghoste

Rene is absolutely right.  It needs to go back on e-bay when it gets to 304,000 miles.  That would be awesome.

BigBlockSam

QuoteIt needs to go back on e-bay when it gets to 304,000 miles 
:2thumbs:

dkn1997

Quote from: Ghoste on March 10, 2006, 12:59:53 PM
Well, so far no bids and only a week to go.  Better hurry because if it was a Hemi, it'd be over a million.

actually, this seller thinks a hemi car would be worth a BILLION dollars judging by the amount of zero's in his answer to that question.

also, over 300 miles on it and it was only driven once?  that's one hell of drive.
RECHRGED

65post

Quote from: 69_500 on March 11, 2006, 12:00:09 PM
Car has a great history as always being very low mileage. I think a collector should purchase the car, and keep it in the same color scheme it is now. considering it has worn these colors for 36 years longer than it wore the origional black.
:iagree:
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

hemigeno

Quote from: 69_500 on March 11, 2006, 12:00:09 PM

I wouldn't argue that logic, if it's based on sentimentality alone. 

But why am I worried about the color of someone else's car??  Danny constantly reminds me my own Daytona isn't one color   :P

hemi68charger

I'd give him a Hemi Charger for it or a C500 that's got alot more miles and road grime...  ;D

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

69_500

Well Gene even though your Daytona is multiple colors you still have one, which is more than I can say for me personally.

OH and your Charger isn't the proper color either.  ;D

hemigeno

Quote from: 69_500 on March 19, 2006, 06:20:03 PM
OH and your Charger isn't the proper color either.  ;D

I was afraid I wouldn't get as many Dukes of Hazzard comments if I took it back to F8 Green...   :P

BTW, welcome back Danny - I had thought perhaps you were on a Spring Break of sorts, or were travelling with your folks overseas.  Glad your connection is back up.

69_500

Nah last time i checked Spring Breaks ended when I left college in 1998. Or if they didn't I have missed the last 8 of them.

I will be  traveling this weekend though to Vegas for the show.