News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1973 Dodge Charger Rear Seat Belt Re-Tractors

Started by BMOTOXSTAR, March 09, 2014, 06:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMOTOXSTAR

On my 73' Charger Rallye, the rear set belts will not pull out of the retractors, they will not pull from the bottom of the rear seat so that you can use them. Is there a fix to this or am I going to have to look for new ones?

I am going to be using my Charger as a driver and I need those belts to work for the kids.

Thanks , it has been a long time since I have been on here. :2thumbs:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

tfdub

I'll see if I can help you with what I know of the seat belt retractors. I just pulled one apart last night with the help of my wife for the second set of hands. Typically when I've had this problem with the retractors, either the belt has twisted and gone back in that way or an object was dropped in there and is locking the retractor locking bar in place. I have a 74 Rallye and I've taken the retractors apart but it usually requires a second pair of hands to help wind the spring or to prevent the spring from unwinding during disassembly. There's two types of rear seat retractors I've run into and I have both types as spares in my shop. One type has an open plastic(rubber) housing case in the back allowing you to look in at the retractor mechanism, and the other (like in my 74) is completely covered. In either case, it's easier to drill out the pop rivets allowing you to slide the rubber case up to expose the retracting mechanism. You can then lift and hold the bar that locks in the slots up out of the slots and pull out the belt to see what the problem is. If you need pics or to talk by phone, email me at terry.sherylwalker@frontier.com.
Terry

BMOTOXSTAR

Thank you so much. We are re-locating to AZ from OH in 2 months & the Charger will be my driver, which is a good thing.
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

ODZKing

You also may want to try VegasCharger, he is parting one now.

tfdub

If the seat belt didn't get twisted when it retracted last time, jamming the retractor, then it's usually dirt, lint and all kinds of crap piled up in the retractor. Holding the locking bar out of the slots and pulling the belt out all the way to eliminate a twisted belt, and then a good cleaning usually eliminates the problem. As I stated, drill out the rivets to slide the retractor out of the cover to do the above. Then pop rivet the cover back in place when done.
Terry

BMOTOXSTAR

Quote from: tfdub on March 11, 2014, 08:04:50 PM
I'll see if I can help you with what I know of the seat belt retractors. I just pulled one apart last night with the help of my wife for the second set of hands. Typically when I've had this problem with the retractors, either the belt has twisted and gone back in that way or an object was dropped in there and is locking the retractor locking bar in place. I have a 74 Rallye and I've taken the retractors apart but it usually requires a second pair of hands to help wind the spring or to prevent the spring from unwinding during disassembly. There's two types of rear seat retractors I've run into and I have both types as spares in my shop. One type has an open plastic(rubber) housing case in the back allowing you to look in at the retractor mechanism, and the other (like in my 74) is completely covered. In either case, it's easier to drill out the pop rivets allowing you to slide the rubber case up to expose the retracting mechanism. You can then lift and hold the bar that locks in the slots up out of the slots and pull out the belt to see what the problem is. If you need pics or to talk by phone, email me at terry.sherylwalker@frontier.com.
Terry

Thanks,
    I had planned on taking her to my mechanic this week & we got blasted with tons of snow again, Charger is snowed in at my one car garage. NE,Ohio weather is the worst. Then I will have to wait till it rains once for all the road salt to get washed away before I can get her there.

The retractors worked at one time, then got finicky, then will not pull out. I am gonna' drill out the rivets and do what you said. I may be calling you....

I thank you for the help on this.
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

BMOTOXSTAR

Quote from: ODZKing on March 12, 2014, 09:13:25 AM

Thanks man. If I can;t get them to work I am going to try and find his listing on the site. I am going to ask about them now in-case I can't free mine up. :2thumbs:
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

ODZKing

Quote from: BMOTOXSTAR on March 13, 2014, 09:26:23 PM
Quote from: ODZKing on March 12, 2014, 09:13:25 AM

Thanks man. If I can;t get them to work I am going to try and find his listing on the site. I am going to ask about them now in-case I can't free mine up. :2thumbs:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=21026

BMOTOXSTAR

He doe snot have any for sale. Thanks though. :'(
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

ODZKing

Eh, worth a shot.
I do remember when I bought my car one of the rear ones was stuck out.
When the car was apart, I had it inside and just spent time exercizing it over and over and the more I did, the more it moved.  Once it cam out I held it out white I sprayed WD40 in there and then just exercized it further.
It was folded over by the way.
Eventually it worked.  Just be careful with it afterwards that it doesn't get folded again.
In the meantime, I'll keep an eye out.

tfdub

I have some of the rear ones as spares and just purchased another set. If you can't get yours to work, I'll swap you some working ones for your non-working ones. I'd rather you be safe than to wish you had been. Don't chance it.
Terry

tfdub

Today, I received the set of 73-74 Charger seatbelts I had just bought off e-bay. They came from back east and sure enough, one of the rears was stuck - I couldn't get the seat belt out at all. I reached in with a screwdriver to release the locking bar and it was still a no go with the locking bar disengaged. I drilled out the rivets, and flexed the sides of the plastic cover out some so I could get a 5/8" open end wrench on the hex of the belt shaft. Using ample WD40 I was finally able to get the shaft to turn enough to get the seat belt out a few inches. I then slid the plastic cover off the retractor. Rust on the retractor body had rusted the chromed nut end of the seatbelt shaft so it would not rotate. Using the wrench, WD40 and brake parts cleaner, I was able to get the chromed shaft/nut to rotate smoothly, cleaned spring and other parts with the brake parts cleaner, and relubed with WD40. Works great now. First one I've seen with rust. I'm used to western US cars. I'll clean and lube the others in the set. Be careful on flexing the sides of the plastic cover is it can crack easily - I found out the hard way. Use a thin open end wrench if possible. Let me know if I can help.
Terry

BMOTOXSTAR

Thanks man. When I get my Charger back next week I will try & fix the belts. If they do not work I will take you up on the offer. Thank you so much. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Quote from: tfdub on March 19, 2014, 03:41:42 PM
I have some of the rear ones as spares and just purchased another set. If you can't get yours to work, I'll swap you some working ones for your non-working ones. I'd rather you be safe than to wish you had been. Don't chance it.
Terry
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

BMOTOXSTAR

I thank you all for the help on this. :cheers: :2thumbs:

I finally got them fixed, they were twisted like pretzels. Nice & clean though. :laugh:

If it was not for the help on the site I would have not been able to do this.
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT