News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 Dodge Charger green interior paint

Started by Wollfen, March 12, 2014, 11:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wollfen

I have triple green 68 charger in medium green metallic. I want to repaint the green parts to be found in the interior namely steering column and dash frame. Where can i find either a paint code or can someone tell me the actual color used? Is it available in a spray can? Thanks in advance guys!

AKcharger

Hi Wolfen

I've been down this road a few times and learned the hard way... here's what you do:

Find a good paint shop around where you live, they can mix the EXACT color you need with a quality product (usually SEM) and can either put it in an aerosol can for you or sell it bulk for you to spray in a paint weapon (gun) you can match it one of two ways; by code or by sample. Plus you'll find you're going to have to paint a lot more than just the dash and column

- If you go by code the paint shop SHOULD have the codes, if not, someone has them here on this site.
- Or go by sample, that is bring in a part, they (if they're any good at all) can match it. This is what I'd suggest because the other parts in your car will have faded/changed in the past 45 years, so if you go by sample the new paint will better match everything else

DO NOT use commercial rattle can paints claiming to match original MOPAR interior colors, they are consistently poor quality and accuracy...Go with a local paint shop!

Good luck!

Wollfen

Thanks AK i was hoping some aftermarket place might have cans on the shelf for convenience like Totally Auto, but they have no catalog on their website nor do they have a ready to go purchasing page.

AKcharger

Would be nice to just go buy a can or two, but believe me the paint shop is the way to go. Provided you find a good one they can match EXACTLY!! and price is about the same as what you pay for specialty spray cans in a store

Lord Warlock

totally auto does have some good quality spray cans,  that's where igot the organisol and grille silver that I'm using on the exterior of my car.  Look into SEM Products.  I ordered a couple cans of bluebird brown for the interior of mine (dash pad and plastic trim) I also used it on the upper door pads which isn't stock but looks great in my opinion.  I ordered from TCP Global which does have paint chips available if you want to check and see before you order the sem color coat paint.

SEM color coat is a flexible coat that Is good for interior coloration of interior panels.  I strongly recommend it. 

69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Wollfen

So i managed to take a piece to have color matched, the only piece I could find that showed original unblemished paint was the wiring cover off of the bottom of the steering column, i took it to the local paint shop to get it color matched and nope they cant do it cos the painted area i provided is too small. Ugh, so how come i cant find the original paint code for the metal painted parts of the interior of a green 1968 charger? that would have to be one of the most common colors used on what is one of the most popular cars to restore?
       It does look a lot like F8 used as dark green metallic on the outside of the car just not shiny. Can anyone comment on that? Im thinking it is.

comet_666

Wollfen

Quote from: comet_666 on March 29, 2014, 09:45:44 AM
I have heard good things about this stuff from Herbs.

http://www.herbsparts.com/products.asp?cat=826

Now thats cool , i am bookmarking that and may end up using it. Thanks for that  :2thumbs:

UFO

Wollfen

Thanks for that UFO, thats a great reference right there  ;D