News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is this sound? And how do I fix it? Problem solved!

Started by Firetodd, March 13, 2014, 05:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firetodd

I thought maybe my speedometer cable was going bad because it was intermittently making that spooling up sound. I replaced the cable today. It still makes the sound. Here is a YouTube video I took of the sound: http://youtu.be/GkoWynYDQu4

Charger4404spd

Dang son, had my speakers up too loud, skeered the bejeeezus outa me!  :icon_smile_big: I have no idea!

Firetodd

hawkeye

Could it be the speedometer?  Maybe where the speedo cable goes in is rounded off.  I couldn't see before the noise started but it sure was jumping around a lot when making the noise.  Once the noise stopped it appeared to read correctly.

XS29L

Sounds like the speedo to me.  Had a 1986 D 100 and speedo went bad same sound but not as loud , YIKES .
MOPAR OR NO CAR !!

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Firetodd

I disconnected the speedo cable and the sound went away. I think it must be the actual speedometer head. Oh another thing to work on. Well my 10 year old son took this after our test drive: http://youtu.be/wFw5iiEAO4M

Troy

Yeah, sounds like the cable is spinning just fine! That's about like the noise of landing gear cycling on an airliner. Would definitely be confusing in a car...

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Dino

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Firetodd

Cooter, what do you lube the speedo head with?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Same thing happened to mine....lube didnt help it.  Gears were stripped out.  Got a used speedo & all was right with the world ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Firetodd

I mailed the instrument cluster to Mark Gibson (aka theguagedoc) to look it over.

Firetodd

Mark Gibson calibrated my gauges and repaired the speedometer head and tachometer. I reinstalled them and my speedometer was still not accurate. I knew it would be off because of the rear end replacement I just did. Anyway, today a replaced the 26 tooth speedometer pinion with a 39 tooth pinion and my speedometer is dead nuts accurate!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T