News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

power windows help!

Started by frank1966, March 19, 2014, 02:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank1966

Hello everyone,
iam new to the mopar world! Just got a 70 charger rt with power windows that don't work? Where do I begin? never worked on power windows! Is there a motor of some sort behind each panel? None of them work? Is there some kind of electrical relay that needs to be changed? I would hate to rip apart the interior if I don't have to!
thanks!

ODZKing

The power window relay would be where I'd start. 3004186 should look something like this.

According to this EBay link it must also be used as a fog lamp relay????   :shruggy:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-MoPar-1970-Cuda-Road-Fog-Lamp-Relay-Bracket-/8068561162?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e0ec790a&vxp=mtr

frank1966

Thanks! where do most of you buy parts from? I don't know the mopar part stores yet, only chevy!

ws23rt

Quote from: ODZKing on March 19, 2014, 02:56:18 PM
The power window relay would be where I'd start. 3004186 should look something like this.

According to this EBay link it must also be used as a fog lamp relay????   :shruggy:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-MoPar-1970-Cuda-Road-Fog-Lamp-Relay-Bracket-/8068561162?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e0ec790a&vxp=mtr

Just a heads up on this link.  I need one of those relays and sent money to these folks for less than a hundred as I recall.

The response was they don't have one right now but will have their associates locate one for me from a wrecking yard. So I got my money back from my credit card and a few days later I got a call from my credit card company asking about a $20 charge on my card number from an eastern European country.

I have a new credit card number and Bradsnosparts.com never called me back with their search for the relay. :shruggy:

Perhaps a coincidence?

BTW I still need one but made a jumper toggle switch to get me by till I find one. 

A383Wing

does anyone have an electric diagram on the relay workings? Any reason we could not make one from a 5 pin Bosch relay? I have relay sets here for the Chargers, each relay is rated 40 amps. I can get the terminals and plastic connector to adapt it over

just a thought here guys

Mopar4me

Quote from: A383Wing on March 19, 2014, 09:35:40 PM
does anyone have an electric diagram on the relay workings? Any reason we could not make one from a 5 pin Bosch relay? I have relay sets here for the Chargers, each relay is rated 40 amps. I can get the terminals and plastic connector to adapt it over

just a thought here guys

I went the Bosch relay way when my original relay expired. As for wiring diagrams try Mymopar.com then look under the mymopar tools/reference catagory. There's wiring diagrams and also complete service manuals to download.

A383Wing

I already looked there...no info on the relay used for the power windows...surely someone has a diagram of it. Is it a 3 pin, 4 pin, or 5 pin relay originally used?

ws23rt

Quote from: A383Wing on March 21, 2014, 07:28:02 PM
I already looked there...no info on the relay used for the power windows...surely someone has a diagram of it. Is it a 3 pin, 4 pin, or 5 pin relay originally used?

It's a three pin---reply from ODZKing shows the item I need for my 69 Coronet.

A383Wing

Quote from: ws23rt on March 21, 2014, 07:45:15 PM

hey buddy, (ws23rt)...yer PM inbox is full....I need to ask ya a question or 2

Bryan

ws23rt

Quote from: A383Wing on March 21, 2014, 09:15:42 PM

Bryan

Hey Bryan---I tried some spring cleaning in my inbox---litterbox---  This should be automatic-- :shruggy:  

ws23rt

Quote from: A383Wing on March 21, 2014, 09:15:42 PM

Bryan

Bryan hear are some pics of my relay.  I see no connection from the case to any of the three pins so this relay should work as is without being grounded.

Hope this helps you or anyone that knows of another relay will plug into this three pin configuration and do the job.

I guess I could use an upgrade to my camera :lol:

A383Wing

there won't be a wire from case to pin...there was probably a small wire from the coil to the body of case when it was put together..I bet it's either burnt, rusted, or broke off long ago

frank1966

Where is this relay? Is there only one?

ODZKing

Not sure pre 71, but they were usually plugged into the fuse block in the later years.

GOTWING

frank1966

Yes p31! Don't think its a good thing!

chargerbr549

On my 69 with power windows the relay is located under the dash above where your left leg would be, it's bolted on top of the lower edge of the dash if my memory serves me correctly, mine was bad when I got it so I ended up going through the napa echlin picture book and found a relay that I believe was for a ford of some kind but it had the exact same plug in but a different bracket which was no big deal, I can't remember what the number was but it might still be available.

A383Wing

chargerbr549

I think I found the Echlin Part number AR235 and a link to the Napa website that will work, I don't know for sure if it's still available.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=ECHAR235_0172756383

Also try Rock auto with Standard and Airtex brand electrical
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1187849,parttype,3828