News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

wiring alarm

Started by poppa, March 25, 2014, 02:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppa

Hi ,I want to get a gps tracking device for my car. But ,if someone disconnects the battery it would be useless. If I were to hide a small motorcycle battery (or equivelent) is there a way to charge this off my altenator with out "taxing" my charging system too much?? Thoughts?? Suggestions????
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

2Gunz

Anti theft devices such as lojack come with a built in backup battery.

If your attempting to home brew something such as a Prepaid cell to have it text you its cords when asked..........  It can be down without much trouble.

As far as taxing the system, these devices draw little power and it will be fine as long as you dont intend on starting the car for weeks on end.

poppa

Lojack not available in my area or I would get it.

Not really worried about the draw. I'm thinking if it does disappear first thing someone halfway intelligent ,would disconnect the battery thinking there is some kind of tracking device ,then ,your screwed. Unless you have a different power source. Hence ,this post.

A small motorcycle battery mounted ,maybe ,under the rear seat (or ??) and running a "charging" wire from amp gauge or right from the altenator or ???? So it has power even if the regular battery is disconnected.

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

2Gunz

Running 2 battery's in parallel that are different Amp hours (in crude terms , large battery and small battery) will result in charging problems.

Also using a second battery in parallel is simple to defeat, Just pull one of the cables off the main battery and hold it to the other cable. In a couple of Min's the hidden battery will be dead.

You could solve the above problems with a battery Isolator http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_isolator
However I'm not sure why you would go through the trouble...... as John pointed out there are much easier ways to do this already available.

Quote from: poppa on March 30, 2014, 03:43:30 PM
running a "charging" wire from amp gauge or right from the alternator or ???? So it has power even if the regular battery is disconnected.

I'm not sure what that means....... Once the battery is disconnected there is no power at the alternator, battery, or anywhere else.

I hope this helps!

poppa

Quote from: John_Kunkel on March 30, 2014, 04:45:29 PM

Why not get a tracker with a built-in battery?

http://www.gpstracker7.com/Products/car-GPS-tracer-RA06A.html

I'd be very interested in this but ,it's blocked as a malious web site. Thanks

poppa

I'm not sure what that means....... Once the battery is disconnected there is no power at the alternator, battery, or anywhere else.

I hope this helps!

[/quote]

I had hoped to use as a way to charge the smaller battery but as you posted ,this won't work. Thanks

myk

Quote from: poppa on March 31, 2014, 07:38:55 AM
Quote from: John_Kunkel on March 30, 2014, 04:45:29 PM

Why not get a tracker with a built-in battery?

http://www.gpstracker7.com/Products/car-GPS-tracer-RA06A.html

I'd be very interested in this but ,it's blocked as a malious web site. Thanks

Website checks out OK for me.  Only thing is I don't see how to order anything from them...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

poppa

Just went back again. Still rated "dangerous". Thanks

bobfist

Hi!

We use Tramigo T22 GPS trackers in our cars here in Sweden
If they disconnect the battery it has 2 weeks battery backup itself and sending a singal for that time.

http://www.tramigo.net/t22-classic-series.asp
www.bobfist.com
Muscle Car Restorations & Reproduction
Sweden