News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Windshield Installer in NEW JERSEY? CLASSIC CAR EXPERTS ONLY!!

Started by MackDa600, April 01, 2014, 12:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MackDa600

Anybody have a trusted glass installer in NJ that will come to the shop and install the windshield in my car- 1968 Dodge Charger R/T. I have all of the supplies, windshield, seal, adhesive, etc. Just don't feel comfortable installing it myself. The job will need to be done at the shop as the car is not drivable.

Not interested in someone that has ZERO experience in a car that is older then them! I want someone installing this that has done several of them before. Seems everyone around here wants to send there "best guy" and he has never worked on a car older then 1990!

Any help? Again, I have the glass and the seal.

bill440rt

I had the front & rear glass installed on my '69 by Pro Auto Glass here in NJ. The installer's name was Jeff. Jeff has since left Pro & started his own company, Top Notch Auto Glass. He can be reached at 732-558-3187. He was very knowledgeable and did a great job. I had the glass, gasket, he used his own sealer.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,43619.0.html

Last year I had a windshield done in another Charger & called Pro, not realizing Jeff was no longer with the company. They sent out their own workers, who yes were familiar with the car & did installations on them before, but personally I thought Jeff did a much better job.

Good luck!  :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

MackDa600

I will be giving him a call today. I appreciate your help Bill.

billssuperbird

What did he use to clean the urethane off the paint and vinyl top.

MackDa600

Don't have a vinyl top. He wont be coming till sometime next week. :laugh:

bill440rt

Quote from: billssuperbird on April 02, 2014, 11:01:24 AM
What did he use to clean the urethane off the paint and vinyl top.

There was no urethane on my paint or vinyl top.
However, while it is still wet you can use either denatured alcohol or paint prep solvent to wipe it off.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

mopar0166

where in NJ? I would guess they would come to my shop to do the job.  trying to square this away before I remove my current windshield

mopar0166

I'm going to  use your guy as a back up because he not that close to my location

If any one is at the shore AAA Glass in Toms River is excellent so far.   

A1 glass who I was recommended to by multiple people wont install my glass. I would have had to buy another windshield and they might install my brand new AMD windshield. I wasn't interested in getting a cheap piece of glass that is not correct. 

Brock Lee

They want to make the profit that goes with selling you a windshield. Right now the Pilkington's are around $50 wholesale (as of 6 months ago anyway). So there is a good deal of money on the table in selling you a complete job.

I don't know what to suggest. Maybe pay the full price and keep the low end glass as a spare? Maybe offer $50 less and tell them they can keep the new glass? Ask around and see if any fellow classic car friends are buddies with a glass guy?

mopar0166

I've been looking around waiting on a call back

I did offer to buy the cheap glass from them if they install my expensive one.  they were blown away that I would buy a windshield to just have one put in. 

guess the extra windshield could go with the original  :shruggy:

mopar0166

im getting no reponses on install,  looks like ill have to try installing myself

Brock Lee

It is not hard. I have a glass guy I know help me with them. The last one we did was an AMD and I ended up guiding him on how to do it as he does so many new cars day in and day out, he forgets how the old ones lock. The AMD fit so perfectly that it was not a real challenge. The glass guys sealant gun was just about all he was good for on that job.

But anyway, if you end up doing it yourself, don't sweat it. It isn't hard. Take your time. Buy some soap to lube up the glass and the gasket. Get a plastic trim tool to lock the gasket. Take your time. It will come out great.

mopar0166

Yeah the only guy to call me back said it would be 2-3 weeks and about 500 dollars

that's just to put it in

im still kinda unclear on how to lock it in,  ive done all the other windows myself but never windshield.  I guess ill have to pull the gasket out and figure it out

Brock Lee

It is hard for me to verbalize what to do. Maybe someone else can chime in.

What I do is put the sealant in first. Start with those drain looking spots under the dash, lay a small bead along the whole bottom and corners and anywhere else you suspect you might get a leak. Then put the gasket in by sliding it onto the pinch weld. The next part helps to do in the warm sun so it can relax the rubber. Place the glass into the gasket top first. Work your way down toward the bottom. Sometimes we have put the glass in the gasket first and then worked the rubber around the pinch weld..I think the other way was easier.

Once the glass is in place, lube up the gasket with some soap. The way it locks is it folds onto itself creating a split seam. One lip will actually be longer than the other. Once you tuck the seams and start the lock, you can use a plastic tool to sort of "zip" the seams closed using the soapy lubricant to help you along the way. Be careful in thin areas, like the top. If you push too hard it will go through the thinner walls of the gasket. Once the seams are all closed up, you are done. Clean off the soap and let it sit in the sun a bit before testing it with water. If it leaks, you can add some sealant or butyl inside where necessary.

If you have glass in the car now, remove the trim and use the small plastic trim tool to gently pry the seam open. Examine how it goes together. The old seal unzips the same way it zips back up. Once you see how the seams are tucked, you will understand what is going on and it will be easy.

Mike DC

QuoteYeah the only guy to call me back said it would be 2-3 weeks and about 500 dollars

that's just to put it in

Sounds like he is trying to talk you out of hiring him for it. 

mopar0166

yeah and about 18 others. 

Found a somewhat local guy, I will post the info if it works out good.