News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Legendary Rallye Bucket Seats

Started by SwiftJonny, April 02, 2014, 10:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwiftJonny

Has anyone tried these out?  Is it a kit to install on a factory seat frame and rail or is it a complete seat?  Do the stock head rests fit?  These would be a great upgrade so I quit falling out of my seat around corners.
https://legendaryautointeriors.com/30481/68-CHARGER-RALLYE-BUCKET-SEATS-PEARL-WHITEPRL-WHT-WPRL-WHT/detail.html
1968 Charger R/T 440 4 Speed
Racing Green Metallic

charlie45

Quote from: SwiftJonny on April 02, 2014, 10:07:13 AM
Has anyone tried these out?  Is it a kit to install on a factory seat frame and rail or is it a complete seat?  Do the stock head rests fit?  These would be a great upgrade so I quit falling out of my seat around corners.
https://legendaryautointeriors.com/30481/68-CHARGER-RALLYE-BUCKET-SEATS-PEARL-WHITEPRL-WHT-WPRL-WHT/detail.html

Those look pretty nice man :2thumbs:

Not cheap though...

SwiftJonny

Pricey yes, but I really don't want aftermarket seats.  They just don't look right in these cars in my opinion.  I love the factory look to them.  This is on my wishlist, maybe as a winter project.  If it is a kit to go on existing seats, it'll be fun to give re-upholstering seats a try.
Racing Green Metallic

daytona71

Looks like a kit, you use your existing frames.

Mike DC

QuoteLooks like a kit, you use your existing frames.

Original frames are worth as much as an entire new aftermarket seat.  And the adjustments suck. 

It's not a bad product.  But you'd have to be pretty wedded to the original seat appearance for it to be worth it IMO.  if you just want something decent with more bolstering then there are too many better options out there.

charlie45

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on April 03, 2014, 06:14:36 PM
QuoteLooks like a kit, you use your existing frames.

Original frames are worth as much as an entire new aftermarket seat.  And the adjustments suck. 

It's not a bad product.  But you'd have to be pretty wedded to the original seat appearance for it to be worth it IMO.  if you just want something decent with more bolstering then there are too many better options out there.

But I have to agree with SwiftJonny that Legendary seemed to hit the nail on the head by combining the perfect OEM look with improved sport seating functionality... Most of the "other" options all have the modern look which imo just does not fit in these cars...

I'm pretty impressed with this product, may just have to order myself a set...  :yesnod:

SwiftJonny

Yes, I've seen aftermarket seats or modern seats taken out of other models/brands of cars and installed.  They look too large and out of place.  The interior of the Charger is so minimalistic, that if you put a large, high-backed bucket seat in, it just takes away from it.  I probably would never have considered changing the seats until I saw these.  The other thing is, I'm in Saskatoon, SK, Canada.  There just isn't much for other options.  I don't have easy access to the salvage or the network of parts like you guys do in the US.  Ugh, that just reminded me, our dollar stinks right now.  I've got to add 11% to this price, plus the added shipping.  Maybe I'll wait and hope the Canadian dollar goes up.
Racing Green Metallic

Mike DC

I agree the original appearance is worth something.   I'm more persuaded against the original seats because they lack adjustments and aren't safe in a wreck. 

SwiftJonny

You're right on both.  They have no adjustment whatsoever, and even a parking lot fender bender, they'd throw you into the steering wheel.  Has anyone found a seat that looks good in these cars and has the modern comfort and safety features?
Racing Green Metallic

Dino

I have been looking for a way to keep the stock look while adding support for quite a while.  Short answer is there is no simple solution.  The best I have found so far is to make your own seat foam, or adapt the stock foam, and use stock covers.  Not easy to do but worth it.  Or you can buy modern low back seats and cover them in stock appearance.  Likely the route I'm going as it'll give me full power and lumbar support and I should be able to add my stock headrests.  As a bonus you can fill the bucket with soft foam so the seats will look fairly flat but give you full support when you sit down.  I will have my covers made in leather so I don't have to adjust a stock cover either which makes it a little easier I suppose.

Additionally I will have three point retractable shoulder belts and a center armrest and those help to keep you in place as well.   :yesnod:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Mike DC

I was having a PM conversation with Dino about this last year.  I got partway through a custom seat-building job for a '69 but got distracted by other stuff.  The job isn't done yet, gonna finish it eventually.

I ended up with 1995 Toyota Camry front buckets.  (Yes I tried to find something American first.)  I'm not done with the job yet but I'm sold on this donor seat.  They're getting some cutting/welding to make them closer to the shape of a 69 low-back Charger seat.  Not sure about the padding & cover situation yet.  

I chose this seat because:
--  size is close
--  donor vehicle isn't rare/expensive,
--  has several adjustments, but all are manual,
--  has locking mechanisms on both sides of the seatback for safety.  

myk

Quote from: SwiftJonny on April 04, 2014, 04:09:53 PM
You're right on both.  They have no adjustment whatsoever, and even a parking lot fender bender, they'd throw you into the steering wheel.  Has anyone found a seat that looks good in these cars and has the modern comfort and safety features?

Do they look out of place?  I guess.  I could even take out those giant head rests and make them look like the seats you linked to.  But in this case I needed function over form, especially considering I drive my car harder than other classic car owners.  But, I like the seats you linked to in your first post.  Then again, they don't look very "OEM" to me however.  Let's face it; the OEM look is fine if that's what you want, but you can't expect it to compete with a modern seat in function...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

SwiftJonny

Those would look not bad with the factory small headrests, but I need white.  That would mean re-covering them in pearl white vinyl... which would probably cost me at least $700, but most likely a lot more.  There's a great upholstery shop here in town, but they are expensive.  I live in Saskatoon, SK, Canada.  There's nothing here for custom shops.  I'm in the Northern boonies.
Racing Green Metallic

Dino

Quote from: SwiftJonny on April 08, 2014, 04:17:31 PM
Those would look not bad with the factory small headrests, but I need white.  That would mean re-covering them in pearl white vinyl... which would probably cost me at least $700, but most likely a lot more.  There's a great upholstery shop here in town, but they are expensive.  I live in Saskatoon, SK, Canada.  There's nothing here for custom shops.  I'm in the Northern boonies.

With some SEM vinyl dye you can have any color you want.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

krigel

What seats are those white ones, and who recovered them?

bill440rt

Quote from: krigel on April 15, 2014, 10:23:03 PM
What seats are those white ones, and who recovered them?

Seats are Corbeau GTS II's. I had them done by a local custom upholstery shop who made up the covers after the stock pattern.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

fy469rtse

They look beautiful bill , very nice touch, judging from the look of the levers , they flip forward or access to rear

SwiftJonny

Racing Green Metallic