News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What size amp fuse for parallel wiring upgrade

Started by Chippa, April 05, 2014, 08:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chippa

Guys,

Just finished restoring my instrument cluster and while i'm at it i want to run the parallel wiring from Alt to Ammeter post and from other side to starter relay stud with fusible link

I have read thru lots of posts but it seems to just point to a 14 or 16 ?? (wire gauge i'm guessing)

Using 8 gauge for both.....can some please help me..... i can get a 70 amp circuit breaker to use instead of inline fuse...my alt has 2095191 on front casing....assuming its just a stock alt

Any help appreciated as i havent driven her for 5 weeks and its killing me !!! haha hopefully take her out for a burst this arvo

cheers  :cheers:

Nacho-RT74

adviced by many electrical webs and techs is 2 gauges smaller than the wire attached to.

BUT take in mind, if you are using one or two links, size of the alternator, and car load demand. This will change the fuse link gauge actually needed.

My advice, ( even 8 gauge would demand theorically 12 gauge ) go for 14 specially if keeping original wire still on car. Car demand won't need more than that, and bigger can be dangerous. Too much time to blow up in case of fail.

IN FACT as I explain on the upgrade thread... you can ( and is better ) splice both charging wires into one fuse link, and still 14 can work safelly. This job an the thread has beeing a learning process so thats why I could change some advices on it.

Parallel wires could be done in 10 gauge. Personally I used 8 gauge on my car ( as I told on my thread ) because it was the one I had handy from a donor harness ( automotive wiring is not easy to find down here in big sizes and correct colors ). but honestly 10 gauge is more than enough, SPECIALLY if keeping original on car. 8 gauge is a little bit overrated for a car like our ones.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Pete in NH

Hi,

As Nacho said, it's best to tie the two parallel battery side wires together before connecting to the battery stud on the starter relay. One wire will be the wire you added and the second will be from the bulk head connector. The bulk head wire was originally a 16 gauge blue fusible link. You should replace that with a plain piece of wire. Then connect these  two wires to the battery stud on the starter relay through a 50 or 60 amp Maxi-Fuse if you are using a stock alternator.