News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Organisol "look" and "texture"

Started by hemi68charger, April 06, 2014, 08:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang....

I know I may be opening up a can of worms here... and the topic's been discussed ad nauseum I believe... But, I'll ask.......

I am trying to detail the taillamp panel on my Daytona with a more appropriate OEM-correct look. The finish on the Daytona now is too glossy and smooth. I know it is supposed to have the Organisol paint to it. The paint job on the Daytona's nice, but with that said, is pretty old ( 1994 ). I don't have a spray gun or appropriate size air compressor. I bought a can of Organisol paint from Totally Auto and it is crap.. Now, the paint might be ok, but the spraying stinks.... Sprays for about 3 seconds and then stops. I'm sure it is a defect in the can that Totally Auto contracts out? Regardless, I'm leary of purchasing another can at $25.00. Is there any name brand paints out there that provides a satin/rough feel like Organisol, like BBQ paint or something?

Has anyone heard of the Dutch Boy #3751 Black Satin.... I believe it may have been discussed in the Winged Warrior / National B-body Owners Association?

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

bill440rt

You can duplicate it yourself, or at least get it very close, with some spraying techniques. I have gotten it close with Semi-flat black paint from Duplicolor, SEM Trim Black, etc. I've done it over PPG DP epoxy primer, or sanded/prepped painted surfaces. Technique is known as dry-spraying. Try doing a test panel first before attempting it on the car. VERY easy to do. I did my tail panel, dash top surfaces, etc this way.
Paint the tail panel with the black paint of your choice (spray cans work OK for smaller areas, a spray gun is better for larger areas). Spray a smooth, medium wet coat. While the paint is partly flashed, hold the can further away from the surface (about 20in or so). What you are trying to accomplish is to "dust" the paint on the surface. The droplets of paint will flash before hitting the surface, and if your technique is right you'll end up with a lightly textured surface. Looks VERY authentic.
I'll try to post up some pics of samples I've done. You just need to practice this technique a little first.  :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Lord Warlock

You may want to contact totally auto for a replacement can, I've used their organisol in a can several times and its always came out looking very nice (the tail panel is fairly easy to do, doing the v21 hood treatment with it you have to vary your strokes or you'll get banding)  It depends on when you got the can from totally auto, they've reformulated it in the last few years, the first cans I got from them, they'd send 4 tips per can because it would clog the tip fairly quickly, the new ones don't clog near as much, you do need to occasionally tip the can upside down and spray to clear the tip and get a decent fan pattern. 

I've been told Hot Rod black looks pretty good as well, but you need a paint gun and a compressor for that, pretty much any cheap paint gun will work just fine for the small tail panel area, even a smaller detail gun would work and you can get those at pep boys for about 30 bucks. 

SEM Trim black looks pretty close as far as color goes, I used organisol in can then later recoated it using trim black and it looked good, I used it on the bottom edge of my grille that is seen between the grille and front bumper, and it looks pretty close to organisol.  Another possibility to test out would be a spray can of plasti-Dip.  I've been using it over the old window seals that got some overspray on them when painting, I do have replacement seals i'll put on eventually but till I'm ready to put them in, plastidip works decent and stays flexible...but it won't give the textured appearance that totally auto cans do. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Mike DC

Any time I'm doing something important with a rattle-can, I set it in a bucket of hot water for a couple minutes ahead of time to warm it up.  It makes any spray can come out a little more powerfully & clog less. 

Fill up enough water to get the can about halfway immersed.  (It wants to float if the water is too deep.)  You want the water pretty warm but not really hot.  The hottest water you can get from the regular faucet will probably be a little bit too hot, which makes the concave underside of the can pop out as the contents expand.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: bill440rt on April 06, 2014, 09:12:16 PM
You can duplicate it yourself, or at least get it very close, with some spraying techniques. I have gotten it close with Semi-flat black paint from Duplicolor, SEM Trim Black, etc. I've done it over PPG DP epoxy primer, or sanded/prepped painted surfaces. Technique is known as dry-spraying. Try doing a test panel first before attempting it on the car. VERY easy to do. I did my tail panel, dash top surfaces, etc this way.
Paint the tail panel with the black paint of your choice (spray cans work OK for smaller areas, a spray gun is better for larger areas). Spray a smooth, medium wet coat. While the paint is partly flashed, hold the can further away from the surface (about 20in or so). What you are trying to accomplish is to "dust" the paint on the surface. The droplets of paint will flash before hitting the surface, and if your technique is right you'll end up with a lightly textured surface. Looks VERY authentic.
I'll try to post up some pics of samples I've done. You just need to practice this technique a little first.  :cheers:

keep practicing pal :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charger-Bodie

Follow the link to the stuff ive been using on thae tail panel and dash etc. Its rust oleum Black. Textured Spray Paint by Rustoleum 7220-830

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Textured-Spray-Paint-by-Rustoleum-7220-830-/350490315564?pt=Paint_Paint_Supplies&hash=item519ad9cb2c#ht_415wt_918
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

hemi68charger

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on April 08, 2014, 04:44:56 PM
Follow the link to the stuff ive been using on thae tail panel and dash etc. Its rust oleum Black. Textured Spray Paint by Rustoleum 7220-830

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Textured-Spray-Paint-by-Rustoleum-7220-830-/350490315564?pt=Paint_Paint_Supplies&hash=item519ad9cb2c#ht_415wt_918

Just bought a can actually today on the way home from work........ I masked off a section of the Totally Auto Organisol that I sprayed on a spare door I had. Then, I sprayed some of this on.... I'll wait till tomorrow and take off the masking material and compare the two colors and textures......

Edit: I went outside, the Rust-Oleum is dry. The texture is pretty much exactly like the organisol. The Rust-Oleum seems to be slightly darker than the Organisol.
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

bill440rt

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 08, 2014, 04:41:29 PM

:lol:  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:  :icon_smile_wink:

Brian, what's the dry/overlap like on this stuff? Can you do a large area, such as V21 on a hood? Or is it better suited for smaller items such as tail panels & dashes?  :scratchchin:   :popcrn:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: bill440rt on April 08, 2014, 09:58:35 PM
Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 08, 2014, 04:41:29 PM

:lol:  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:  :icon_smile_wink:

Brian, what's the dry/overlap like on this stuff? Can you do a large area, such as V21 on a hood? Or is it better suited for smaller items such as tail panels & dashes?  :scratchchin:   :popcrn:

I think you would want to mess with a little first ,but yeah I think it would be ok for hood treatment. Make sure to keep shaking it and keep the nozzle clear. Because its textured it settle pretty fast if you don't keep after it. Nice stuff though.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Just 6T9 CHGR

Wheels turning!   MMMmmm V21  Wonder if they sell it in a quart?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Lord Warlock

You can buy it by the quart, but it aint cheap at 165 a quart, was way too much in my mind and you'd only use a 3rd of it to do the v21 on the hood, the rest would be wasted.  I did the whole hood treatment on mine with 1 can, i bought two just in case.  Much cheaper than buying the quart.  I believe year one sells it by the quart.  

https://www.yearone.com/SearchResults/1966-74-A-B-E-Body/organosol
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

resq302

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 09, 2014, 04:40:00 PM
Wheels turning!   MMMmmm V21  Wonder if they sell it in a quart?

That was in the plans for this year, wasn't it Chris?   :scratchchin:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: resq302 on April 09, 2014, 10:16:13 PM
Wheels turning!   MMMmmm V21  Wonder if they sell it in a quart?

In my best Bugs Bunny voice.....  "mmmmm...could be"  ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

hemi-hampton

Last time I bought a Quart of Organosol 5 years ago I think it was only $30 bucks. Prices now are rediculous. LEON.

resq302

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 10, 2014, 05:27:24 AM
Quote from: resq302 on April 09, 2014, 10:16:13 PM
Wheels turning!   MMMmmm V21  Wonder if they sell it in a quart?

In my best Bugs Bunny voice.....  "mmmmm...could be"  ;)

better get it done soon, you "waskly wabbit!"  car show season is coming up fast!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Lord Warlock

have you priced House of Kolor quarts lately?  spent a fortune on quarts doing repeated paint jobs 10 years ago, could get a quart then for 28-40 dollars a quart, its about 4 times that now.  Even the cheap polyurethane (house brand Nason) is almost 100 a quart these days.  165 really isnj't that bad, but its the principal of the thing, 40 bucks vs 165, or cheaper if you go with a close alternate that most people couldn't tell anyway.