News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dakota Digital 2nd Gen Charger Dash

Started by ncmiller1, April 07, 2014, 09:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncmiller1

I just got an email from Dakota Digital that they have finally made a modern dash for the 2nd gen Chargers.  I wish they would have had this a few years ago when I replaced mine!

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=939/category_id=680/mode=prod/prd939.htm

RECHRGD

13.53 @ 105.32

bill440rt

Wow! I wish that was around a few years ago as well.
All things considered, it's really not that bad of a price. Between the white face conversion, gauge rebuild, tic-toc-tach, etc, that's probably at least what I have in my cluster now with '60's technology original gauges.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

myk

Quote from: bill440rt on April 08, 2014, 07:04:53 AM
All things considered, it's really not that bad of a price. Between the white face conversion, gauge rebuild, tic-toc-tach, etc, that's probably at least what I have in my cluster now with '60's technology original gauges.

Does it really cost about that much to retrofit modern-ish gauges into our cars?  I was just planning on buying a set of modern gauges and shoving them into the bezel or an unspecified gauge of sheetmetal.  I have to say those completed dashes are very intriguing...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Dino

Installing modern gauges is not too bad but these guys seem to have done a whole lot more.  I just read the specs and it's real impressive.  I'm sure these things will sell. 

I'm sticking with stock though.  I'm so close to having the stock look with modern upgrades that for me it will be very hard to beat.  I love the stock look and I will fight tooth and nail to keep it.   :yesnod:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

myk

Quote from: Dino on April 08, 2014, 08:48:39 AM
Installing modern gauges is not too bad but these guys seem to have done a whole lot more.  I just read the specs and it's real impressive.  I'm sure these things will sell. 

I'm sticking with stock though.  I'm so close to having the stock look with modern upgrades that for me it will be very hard to beat.  I love the stock look and I will fight tooth and nail to keep it.   :yesnod:

Do you think the price is fair?  Do you think it's comparable to retro-fitting newer gauges into the stock bezel/dash?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Dino

Quote from: myk on April 08, 2014, 09:01:29 AM

Do you think the price is fair?  Do you think it's comparable to retro-fitting newer gauges into the stock bezel/dash?

I don't think the price is out of the ordinary.   Looks like you get a lot for your money and as Bill mentioned, you can spend that on the stock cluster.  The tach alone would cost nearly half of this setup.

Sticking aftermarket gauges in the stock cluster will be way cheaper though as you do not need a control module or any of that, you just hook up each gauge individually and you're in business.

I've looked at a ton of gauges and would not need much of anything else to make them fit the cluster.  An old spare cluster housing to cut up would help though, I hate cutting up good stuff.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

myk

I see.  I guess I have more to think about... :scratchchin:

ncmiller1

I installed Dakota Digital's VHX Universal gauges, as well as customized the whole dash panel a couple of years ago.  The set came with new solid state sensors (temperature, oil pressure) as well as a speedometer pulse generator which eliminates the gear inside the transmission.  You program the module to your fuel sending unit so no upgrade there is required.

The speedometer was nice because when I changed my rear end from 2.73 to 3.55 and put different tires on it, all I had to do was re-program the computer module and it adjusted the speedometer so it read correctly.  You can also use the gauge module to go into quarter mile mode where you click a button at a dead stop, hit the gas, and it starts counting until you hit a quarter mile.  Also gives you your 0-60mph.  I don't use these features a lot but they sure are fun!

None of these upgrades are necessary but none of my gauges worked so I wanted to do my own thing.  However, now I wish I would have had the option to keep the classic looking dash.  Oh well, it's just money... maybe one day i'll try to sell my setup and go to these.  It's all part of the fun of these beautiful cars!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: bill440rt on April 08, 2014, 07:04:53 AM

Damn Bill thats PERFECT for the Sublime 69!   Just sayin ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bill440rt

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 08, 2014, 04:02:42 PM

Damn Bill thats PERFECT for the Sublime 69!   Just sayin ;)

Hell yeah, it is!  :drool5:  :lol:

Quote from: myk on April 08, 2014, 09:01:29 AM

The price is fair IMHO. Can it be done cheaper? Well, yeah I guess it could. Flat stock aluminum, some hole saws, drill, etc.
You could retro fit gauges in the stock cluster housing, but the metal housing has some different heights/angles to the gauge & switch mounts. It won't be the same if you plan on dropping it in a piece of flat stock. Stock gauges are also angled toward the driver, etc.
Break it down this way: Used clusters +/- $250, tic-toc tach $350, rebuild/resto service $600-$800+. Also converted the ammeter to volts, etc. Even if you already have a cluster, you're well over what they are asking for this unit, drop in.
All depends what's in your budget. It's not in mine at the moment, so I'll just drool over it for a little while longer.  :drool5:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce