News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Speedo reading below zero

Started by crj1968, April 10, 2014, 02:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crj1968

Hey guys- new to the forum. Did a search on this but didn't see anything pop up, although I'm sure it's somewhere.

I picked up a 70 Charger and besides the speedo being off the speedo at idle is below zero, like if there were a -10 that's where it would be.

Is this just a matter in that the needle got tweaked?  I'd hate to mess it up trying to tweak it back...

Thanks!

Chris

XH29N0G

There is a stop for the assembly, and the needle is on a pin.  It is possible to rotate it around, but you need to be careful. 

Speedo is off could mean off by a constant amount, or off by a constant percentage or off in some more random way, neither constant amount or constant percentage.  My understanding is that the constant amount would be related to the needle being shifted and moving the needle should fix it. The constant percentage would likely be the speedo gear in the transmission.  If it is more random, then the spring or the magnet in the speedo head have problems and it will not be an easy fix.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

crj1968

Yeah- thanks, it is off by a constant amount.
At first driving it I was thinking the gear was wrong, but then I stopped and saw it dropped below zero.

Thanks for the input, I will see if I can move it without the whole car bursting into flames.   :icon_smile_big:

:cheers:

XH29N0G

Quote from: crj1968 on April 10, 2014, 04:12:13 PM
Yeah- thanks, it is off by a constant amount.
At first driving it I was thinking the gear was wrong, but then I stopped and saw it dropped below zero.

Thanks for the input, I will see if I can move it without the whole car bursting into flames.   :icon_smile_big:

:cheers:

look at : http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,37999.msg419676/topicseen.html#msg419676

part way down p 2 is a section on removing the cluster that may be helpful
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

crj1968