News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Starting New Build 72 Charger Rallye

Started by 72Charger72, April 14, 2014, 10:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

72Charger72

Did a little asking on here didn't get any takers...I just bought the frame and shell of A 72 picking it up Wed...alleviates a lot of the rust problem and its tore almost all the way down

ottawamerc

Quote from: 7#1ChargerRT# on April 19, 2014, 09:21:45 AM
yeah  :brickwall: and I don't know how to do metal work...

Hey friend go to Canadian Tire or what ever and get a decent 220V mig welder, if I can learn how ANY body can :yesnod: Plus after a couple of welding repairs the welder will pay for its self in money saved by not paying for a welder to do the work. I myself bought a 120V welder years ago trying to save some $$ but for just a bit more or even the same when they go on sale you should get the 220V its much easier to weld with. Lots of how too's on Youtube and endless great advice here too. Just start on places that are not structural or visible till ya get the run of it :Twocents:

Have fun!

Scott :cheers:
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

hemi68charger

Good Luck....... Hopefully you can enjoy it sooner than later.........   :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

polywideblock

if you've got firewall rust you can bet you have rust in the inside cowl and doorpost area's where the hinges bolt on  :yesnod: 

sounds like this is going to be one large expensive build  :scratchchin:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

cudaken

7#1, yep you can learn to weld and do bodywork. Now, to be honest I cannot Mig weld as of now. I have all wises had body men that work for me that did, so why learn.  :shruggy: But, I have watched them for years so I know I could learn how. I have all so seen a few people post here at the site learn and do there own cars!  :2thumbs:

Far as the body work part, that is easy once you have a idea of what you are trying to do! Heck, even I can do it!  :D

Besides saving you a ton of $, there is the pride you will have when you tell people you did all the work!  :coolgleamA:

Cuda Ken
I am back

72Charger72

Well pulled a 180...went and found a shell and frame of a 72 over the weekend...800.00 picking it up Wed...will post new photos when I get it....
with all the rust in the frame and firewall etc...its just not my bag....but I did notice all the other 71's I saw this weekend had the same plague in the same spots mine
had...must have been a bad year for metal or something !

ACUDANUT

Well, there you go. ! Build a 72 Rallye clone.  :cheers:

72Charger72

Heres the new frame and body...I stripped down everything except suspension this weekend

ACUDANUT

So it's going to be a 72 "Rallye" ?  :cheers:

72Charger72

They had some 71's there but they are were chewed up to no end...I mean when the inside of the frame bubbles outside its not a good thing!  :o

ACUDANUT

Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 28, 2014, 01:09:20 PM
So it's going to be a 72 "Rallye" ?  :cheers:

So, what are the new plans. So it's going to be a 72 "Rallye" ?

72Charger72

Yes but with the hide away front lights....I have the louvered taillights
and I saw someones on here that was lime green and black...Im either doing that or my original colors
burnt yellow and black...but that lime green I am liking!

ACUDANUT

Quote from: 7#1ChargerRT# on April 28, 2014, 04:02:04 PM
Yes but with the ....I have the louvered taillights
and I saw someones on here that was lime green and black...Im either doing that or my original colors

72 Rallye Chargers could have hide away front lights ! So I don't follow you on that.  :Twocents:

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 29, 2014, 10:23:01 PM
Quote from: 7#1ChargerRT# on April 28, 2014, 04:02:04 PM
Yes but with the ....I have the louvered taillights

72 Rallye Chargers could have hide away front lights ! So I don't follow you on that.  :Twocents:

This one doesn't  :lol:

72Charger72

I didnt know 72's had the hideaways all the photos I see the didnt....good to know though! Thanks!

Ghoste

ottawamerc

Also 71 hideaway head lights are different than the rest of the 3rd Gen. hideaways, if it matters to ya?

This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

72Charger72

Hmm not sure which ones I have then I will post a pic

72Charger72

actually there is a pic at the top of the thread..which year are mine?

Ghoste

How do you tell the difference in them?

ACUDANUT

71 Hide a ways have smaller rectangular squares than the 72 Hide a ways.  it's not a huge difference, but you can't mix and match them. :Twocents:
But, like it was said. 72 Rallyes did have hide a way headlights.  You just had to order them/check the box when ordering it. Two of my 72 Rallyes came with them.  :Twocents:

ottawamerc

71's were the only year where the ,(lets call them horizontal strips) were high lighted. There were no vertical strips. 72`s started with the vertical bars also.

72Charger72

That's good looks likeI have the 72's anyway so Im building a 72 Ralleye now  :coolgleamA:

ACUDANUT

So, it's time to re name this thread.  :Twocents: :cheers:

RallyeMike

QuoteAlso 71 hideaway head lights are different than the rest of the 3rd Gen. hideaways, if it matters to ya?

Scott cheers

"All the rest" besides 71 is just 72. There is just 71 style or 72 style - Not available in 73 or 74  :'(  . From the photos, it appears you have 72 style, so lucky you !
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/